I might go back to 9s on my guitars

Give em a go. I was just gifted a couple of sets of the same. Those I know who use them love them. Just need to decide which guitar to try them in.
I'm going to string my Suhr strat up with them. It's the guitar who's strings I currently dislike the most -- it's just not "fast" enough for a Strat to play with. I find myself fighting the strings on it compared to my Ed O'Brien strat that has 9s on it.

Will pick up some 9.5 sets too to experiment with.

Lots of time that I don't seem to have much to spare these days. :|

I'm using either Ernie Ball Hybrid Slinky .009 - .046 or D'Addario XL or NYXL in the same gauge. I've use those gauges on nearly all my electrics for decades and every time I try something different, I gravitate back to 9-46. Right now my only oddball is a PRS SE 245. It has a fixed bridge, so I've stuck with the factory-recommended 9-42 D'Addarios on it. The intonation is spot on with those gauges.

I'm going to string my Suhr strat up with them. It's the guitar who's strings I currently dislike the most -- it's just not "fast" enough for a Strat to play with. I find myself fighting the strings on it compared to my Ed O'Brien strat that has 9s on it.

Will pick up some 9.5 sets too to experiment with.

Lots of time that I don't seem to have much to spare these days. :|

I haven't played in some months now - all my guitars and gear is packed up while I'm at school - so I can't pick up a guitar and confirm my tactile memory, but I just recall NYXL's being very consistent and correct from a standpoint if tactility. To contrast, I tried nanowebs and found them to be too slick. I didn't like that. Slides and double-stops became sloppy af as a result. I guess you really gotta try everything.

I buy EB 10's. Once a year I get 11's and play them for a month. I go back to 10's and it feels like playing 8's. Some stubborn part of me 1. Won't back down to smaller gauge, and 2. The 10's just sound better to me.

Back
Top Bottom