CABS are adding volume to the chain

AllanH

Inspired
Hi all

I use my Axe XL+ with a matrix amp and NL12 cabs. Because of that I break my presets out to output 2 (the Matrix) before the Cab sim. which goes to FOH.
I am struggeling with my preset volume adjustment. I have my Out 2 leveled fine, but depending on the Cab they add some additional volume to the FOH (output 1) somewhere between 3-6db. Does any of you have a smart way around this? Is there a theoretical number on how much each cab adds? This is driving me nuts..... It is very hard to get it all leveled correctly I think. I am trying to level the cabs in the preset to match the output 2 by lowring the cab output

Hi Allan,

if you play without the cabsim, it´s like a DI signal (also used with the Tubepreamp) - less level. You can use the VU-Meter (Ultility) to level the Output 1 and 2.

There also level differences between the IR´s.

Why does your FOH send need to match out 2 exactly?

They don't, but as I hear my out put 2 behind me, I need to be able to trust that the FOH are matched between them. Now they don't because I'm using different cabs in across preset. Them I could just use the same cabs, but thats not why we buy this box with all the possibilities, it is? :)

For live playing with non FRFR cabs I use the same cab IR to FOH feed on every preset. Basically the Output 1 DI feed is only replacing a couple of mics and cables. The amp block volume or some other boost block controls the preset volume

If you're going to use different Cab IRs for some of your presets I'd try using the VU meters first - set things that Output 1 normal levels hitting the zero mark and boosted/solo levels peaking at +3 or so to see if that comes close.

If the VU meters are not a help in getting you normalisation across your Output 1 levels you could try sending the cab IR feed to your Matrix/NL12s in loud band rehearsals. While your backline tone might be sounding 'off' by doing this at least you could judge by ear the relative levels between presets and their cab block levels and adjust Cab block levels to taste.

If you can lay your hands on a full range powered stage wedge monitor in rehearsals then that might be a better option if the NL12s sound too distracting in trying to use the Output 1 signal

Back
Top Bottom