Are you into Metal, or not?

Could be crappy modelers or crappy use of them. Once I first came to Fractal-land via the Ultra, dynamics in metal tones were far less difficult to achieve, because gain and master volume interacted the way they were supposed to. Prior to that, the modelers I'd used didn't even have a master volume parameter, just level. The fizz...my god, the fizz.

I think they do it because they like it that way. So, yes, for me it's a "crappy" use of that technology.

Being in a cover band and using the same sound for each and every song, sound that only fits the metal covers, is no nice to my ears.

Nope. Not at all.

I play jam/funk/rock stuff.

Wow...that sounded amazing.

My first show was Grateful Dead back in '87, and lemme tell ya...that was no place for a 12yr old to be walking around in LoL. Bruce Hornsby and the Range opened and I was stuck sitting next to a large lady that was wearing a curtain for a dress.

Original question, I always have my ear on the ground when it comes to metal. When it turns into a saturated genre or sub-genre, I lose interest because there's always disingenuous copies. Areas that are pure for this are subjective I guess, but if I turn my back on metal then ill feel like a musical orphan because it's what raised me in my formative years.

Wow...that sounded amazing.

My first show was Grateful Dead back in '87, and lemme tell ya...that was no place for a 12yr old to be walking around in LoL. Bruce Hornsby and the Range opened and I was stuck sitting next to a large lady that was wearing a curtain for a dress.

Was it a tie dye curtain? :)

I'm in a cover band that was originally an acoustic classic rock trio...until I showed up with an electric guitar. In general terms, we do lighter classic rock, most of which has an audible acoustic guitar part. The AFX is a perfect match, allowing me to choose from a roomful of clean-ish amps, and still having some nice gain-y choices available when needed.

Personally, I'm not a fan of most modern metal. There's some interesting guitar work out there, and I can appreciate the skill it takes to play some of the flashy stuff, but as soon as I hear the lead growler join in, I'm reaching for the Skip button. Older metal ('80s era) is OK, but I've gotten kind of burnt on hearing it, especially after all the popular bands started sounding alike in the later '80s. I also admire a lot of the guitar work being done in modern country music, but I can only last through about 15 minutes of the formulaic lyrics (dirt road, pickup truck, painted-on jeans, etc.) before I'm reaching for the radio dial.

Metalhead here. Was born into a classical music family, and I still listen to it, but out side of that, it's metal. I listen to the old, some of the new. I had a lot of fun during the 80s hair times. All I ever want to play is metal.

I like metal a lot. Not the modern stuff though, as I want to be able to hear what a singer is singing. And I hate djent. As has been said a lot, stop using IR's with vintage 30's and SM57's. When I was a soundguy I was a big fan of using SE609's on amps instead. To me a good metal tone is a marshall boosted by a drive pedal with plenty of mids. Probably not as tight and gainy as what modern amps can do, but that classic Marshall roar, it sounds way better to me.

Also I think many a guitar player is at heart a metal head, be it not of the more extreme metal genres. Because few rock genres are as guitar driven as metal. Which to me in no small way explains why heavy guitar tones have made their ways into non-metal genres. Bands like Soundgarden or Queens of the Stone Age would have been called heavy metal in the 70's and 80's.

But thrash is good old JCM 800 and a drive pedal, isn't it?

Because the early trash bands were dirt poor. Old 70's Marshalls, often Plexis, were all they could afford. Which they later upgraded to JCM-800's when they first started to make some money.

I didnt know there was any other music but MMMMMMMMMMMMMMETTTTTTTTTAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, IS THERE? (when I was a child I didnt know what metal was etc. but I heard high gain heavy sounds and fell in love)

Also I think many a guitar player is at heart a metal head, be it not of the more extreme metal genres. Because few rock genres are as guitar driven as metal. Which to me in no small way explains why heavy guitar tones have made their ways into non-metal genres.

Very good point. No doubt that's the answer.

I didnt know there was any other music but MMMMMMMMMMMMMMETTTTTTTTTAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, IS THERE? (when I was a child I didnt know what metal was etc. but I heard high gain heavy sounds and fell in love)

Yes... When I was a child and started hearing music, I fell in love (forever) with distorted guitars. But you know what? I didn't even know that sound was made with a guitar. Yes, I could say... This is a drum, or a voice, a keyboard, violin, bass guitar... Whatever. But that sound!!!! Wow!!! It was incredible. Someone finally told me it was the guitar. What? How is it possible? I was in shock. And I'm still in shock.

Because the early trash bands were dirt poor. Old 70's Marshalls, often Plexis, were all they could afford. Which they later upgraded to JCM-800's when they first started to make some money.

I suppose you meant "thrash bands", not "trash bands"? :)

Personally, I'm not a fan of most modern metal. There's some interesting guitar work out there, and I can appreciate the skill it takes to play some of the flashy stuff, but as soon as I hear the lead growler join in, I'm reaching for the Skip button

^^This.

I’d listen to a lot more metal but growling gets tiresome pretty fast. So for me it’s more of an appreciation experience.

That said, I don’t know any other modern “guitar” music I can listen to (old stuff, yes, but I really want to hear something new).

So for me it’s either old stuff or some metal or electronic music these days. There’s not much happening in “normal” guitar music now, IMO.

So I wonder if most of you are also into metal sounds or, in general, what kind of sounds are used by forum

Definitely not. If I wouldn't play a rock band needing more fx and CPU capacity, I use an axe fx ii, than I'd need for a blues band only, I'd change to an AX8.
Keep on rocking

I suppose you meant "thrash bands", not "trash bands"? :)

D'OH!!!

Homer-Doh.jpg

Back
Top Bottom