Would you like to run Axe-Edit as a plug on you DAW?

Would you like to run Axe Edit as a plug in your DAW?

• yes

Votes: 93 81.6%
  • no

Votes: 21 18.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
If I could have the sound, feel, and real-time near zero latency response of the III as a vst, I would be all for it. I’d also sell my hardware as vst would be fine for home use.

A ton of people would. A ton of people would also like to get their hands on a cracked software they didn’t need a hardware key too.

“Download a $2500 hardware modeler for free off Pirate Bay ? Sounds good, I can’t afford a III and it’s overpriced anyways. Plus they’ve already sold plenty..... I’m not hurting anyone, I just play for fun at home. I’d buy it if I made a real album.... etc”

Selling high end hardware as fast as you can build them? Solid business move. Offer a VST and hope you can contain it ? Not so smart IMO....

The return just doesn’t seem worth the risks involved, from a sales standpoint, not to mention what if folks try to run it on a low spec PC then complain it sounds glitchy etc, blaming the software for hardware issue seems like something we’d see plenty of, same with lag etc, then the net gets it in their collective head the Axe vst is laggy because someone said so in a review so it must be true.

All too often we see companies switch from a hardware product, to the software market, to disappearing.

Has Fractal confirmed or denied this is something they plan on releasing in the future? (I don't think so)
Has the FAS Reverb plugin been hacked? (I don't think so)
Why is Line 6 thinking different about releasing a VST?

just speculating..

Has Fractal confirmed or denied this is something they plan on releasing in the future? (I don't think so)

just speculating..

I'd guess that 1) the FAS Reverb is a very niche product that likely has such a small demand that its unlikely it would be cracked. I think the Axe-Fx VST would have a much larger market, as surely all the people who use Bias, Amplitube et al., would surely like to take a try at the "big time" lol, and for that matter, Amplitube has been cracked and is all over the net....

But, IK, much like Line6, probably do more sales volume in a day than FAS does in a more, if not longer, so it could be said that cracked software maybe hurts their bottom line a bit less.... Its like does stealing $20 from Walmart who's doing $200,000 in sales hurt them more than stealing $20 from a little mom and pop store that does $200 in sales ? Its wrong either way, but easier to absorb when your doing huge volume.

Photoshop is the more cracked software out there, but, Adobe still is doing over 1 billion dollars business, so yeah....

if the preset is attached to the track in your DAW, it makes it much easier to keep track of things. Avid did something similar to this with the Eleven Rack and it worked great.

The Eleven rack 'Embed Settings' feature is great! The preset settings are embedded in the track being recorded to in Pro Tools.

I'd love to see this function added to the AxeIII. This feature did not make the 11R Editor a plugin though, it was a separate feature which could be used whether or not the standalone editor was open.

I agree with several earlier posts: I would LOVE to have AxeIII functionality inside my DAW, but I also understand why Fractal might be hesitant to release that (ignoring the technical difficulty of porting).

One possible middle ground might be USB drivers to allow the Axe hardware to appear as a plug-in (as others mentioned, this might be similar to the Thunderbolt method used by UA)

I think many of us are not asking for a plugin that tries to replace the hardware. This is even more impossible with the Axe III. For people that do a lot of recording, it would be nice to have everything controllable from within the DAW. If I could have Axe Edit in a plugin version that could be instantiated in a track and have the settings saved unique to that track it would be perfect. Being able to automate various effects would be soooo cool. It would still be completely dependent on having the AxeFx hardware connected and running. It's how UAD does it, and it works perfectly. Any time I open a project that has UAD plugins, I'll get immediate error messages if my UAD hardware isn't connected and running. I totally get if this isn't the market for FAS and I assume there's a level of complexity to it I don't understand. Still, if they ever offer the functionality, even if there's a cost for the plugin, I'll be on board day one.

I've been a huge fan of Fractal since the early days, but I'm finding it increasingly difficult to like one digital amp over the others based on sound alone--there are a lot of very good-sounding options at this point such that it might be argued that functionality and workflow are more meaningful differentiators.

For one, I dislike having to wait for physical reamping. As a related issue, rapidly A/B'ing different tones is difficult with a hardware unit compared to a plugin.

My laptop is already a 2-in-1 that holds my sheet music. Ir would be great if it also took care of the audio so that between it, an interface, and a floor pedal to turn pages, I'd have everything in one small rig.

I tried out the Helix Native plugin a while back, and I was really impressed by the sound...but it was also much simpler to have everything at my fingertips in my computer instead of also having to lean over and turn knobs on my Axe (e.g. when switching from tracking to reamping).

It's not unreasonable to think that the convenience of a plugin outweighs minute differences in tone for many people at this point.

When the Axe was new, Fractal was a clear leader where it mattered most--modeling realism. I'd love to see them to continue to lead where it now matters most 10 years later.

[Edit: in the interest of disclosing anything that might seem like an affiliation, I'm currently working on an open-source project I'm calling "Neural Amp Modeling" (can't include a link because I don't post here enough, but it's on GitHub), where I'm using deep learning to learn the input-output behavior of amps. While it's just a fun curiosity, I would be lying if I said that the initial results didn't immediately sound so good that I thought it might actually be useful to learn how to make a plugin out of it.]

I agree with the last two posts here. Having an AXE EDIT plugin that you could stick to a track in the DAW, automate, and so on would be fantastic and much easier to use when reamping and recording.

I could be wrong but I think FAS is doing itself a disservice by not having a plug in. There are some really good options now, and some really good ones coming.

Has anyone seen the newly announced TH-U from overload? It sounds promising.

I have Helix Native for convenience, because I got a great deal on it. Yes my AF2 sounds better but Native is good, really good. It takes a ton more tweaking but you can still get there. If I were in the market now and never had a FAS product, I’d probably go Helix LT and Native and not look back.

We can argue that Helix and Axe FX are different levels this the price difference and while that’s true, I still think that by refusing to do a plug-in may result in FAS being left behind. If Kemper (sorry to use profanity) ever releases a plug-in it could be game over.

I’ve got a buddy who is a vst developer, he says there is very little money in software and it’s a very small market for most stuff.

adobe can make millions charging $9.99 a month subscriptions but they have a user base of tens of millions too. Market for guitar modeling software is small, market for paid guitar modeling software is even smaller.

I don’t know the FAS margins but I’m sure they are decent, and they are selling well at given price points. $699 foot controllers moving as fast as they can stock them.

Axe III and a FC is like $3500 and I don’t know the margin but it’s got to be pretty good.

No one will pay that kind of money for software so you charge what, $399 tops let’s say. How much do you make of it verse how many do you sell? Do you sell ten times the licenses ? No because there is a limited market, and how many only use soemthing they got cracked as well?

FAS has a great thing in the hardware market, and while I get how it can benefit the end user to have a plugin, I can’t see it benefiting FAS’s bottom line. At the end of the day, it’s a business and it’s about profitability, not what mkes someone’s life easier.

Being at the top of the high end hardware market trumps being one of countless titles in an increasingly saturated software market where it increasingly comes down to price and who is willing to go lowest.

Look at Waves, used to be thousands of dollars and now I get daily emails about cheap subscription models, $29 for any plugin sales etc. that is the software market these days, so I can’t see why FAS would change a winning formula to enter into that mess.

It would be a game changer if we could edit our patches after recording. If it weren't for Fractal sounding that much better, I'd still be using plugins for this reason.

I’ve got a buddy who is a vst developer, he says there is very little money in software and it’s a very small market for most stuff.

adobe can make millions charging $9.99 a month subscriptions but they have a user base of tens of millions too. Market for guitar modeling software is small, market for paid guitar modeling software is even smaller.

I don’t know the FAS margins but I’m sure they are decent, and they are selling well at given price points. $699 foot controllers moving as fast as they can stock them.

Axe III and a FC is like $3500 and I don’t know the margin but it’s got to be pretty good.

No one will pay that kind of money for software so you charge what, $399 tops let’s say. How much do you make of it verse how many do you sell? Do you sell ten times the licenses ? No because there is a limited market, and how many only use soemthing they got cracked as well?

FAS has a great thing in the hardware market, and while I get how it can benefit the end user to have a plugin, I can’t see it benefiting FAS’s bottom line. At the end of the day, it’s a business and it’s about profitability, not what mkes someone’s life easier.

Being at the top of the high end hardware market trumps being one of countless titles in an increasingly saturated software market where it increasingly comes down to price and who is willing to go lowest.

Look at Waves, used to be thousands of dollars and now I get daily emails about cheap subscription models, $29 for any plugin sales etc. that is the software market these days, so I can’t see why FAS would change a winning formula to enter into that mess.

I agree with everything you said except for cracks. Neural DSP is crack free. ilok is solid. FAS Reverb is crack free, they also use ilok. Steven Slate even said that he thinks people dont want to pay a lot for plugins, and the future is subscription models. He thinks people expect low prices, and companies that dont conform, will have a hard time financially in the future to meet demand. So I agree with your statement. Now that I think about it, I think its better for hardware companies to offer lower cost hardware, by slimming down functionality that isnt always needed. I would love to see an offering from FAS for sub $800

Why? Why can't you do that with reamping? I know a lot of people are clamoring for this. It just seems like the best copy protection for Cliff and Fractal is just the way it is. Harder to reverse engineer. Plus he can avoid all the massive headaches having to make it compatible with every OS and application that might have conflicts. I like it the way it is, although I know my opinion is probably in the minority.
This!

Fractal code is the gold standard, that moves forward so quickly, as a result of intense focus on proprietary hardware.

putting that code in an open source like environment would be a waste of resources, and risky at best. A Daw can already control the AXE FX via midi.

Reamping is also easy!

The days of loud isolated hissy amps and printing on every take, is a real burden.
We have the tools for speed, and perfection right now.

just speculating..
Line 6 is a huge company with marketing to the masses. They have products from every category.

They capitalize short term, letting a product tail spin, only to produce another.

It’s always candy, not longevity.
Definately not integrity.

Just how many spider amps, or pods did they make, without improving just any one of them?

The fact that they’re calling the newest product a “POD” is dumb IMHO. “POD” not only sounds like old technology, but it reminds you that it’ll be short lived. Just look at all the other Pods.

I’d much rather have Fractal’s riveted focus, and unparalleled support.

This Forum, and the constant firmware updates, along with the best hardware on the planet, is moving mountains for guitarists.

I’m sure that if FAS finds a way to improve DAW communication, and or creates a way to link preset notes to make things easier, they will.

A VST wrapper? Highly doubt it, but who am I to say.

BTW, how often does Line 6 produce new firmware?

This thread deserves the lifetime achievement award for "Most misleading thread title". See the title of the poll at the top of the this thread for the correct title.

It is about having a plugin version of AxeEdit so, when recording a track, you can easily store the preset in your DAW project for later retrieval.

It is not about having a plugin version of the AxeFX, which ain't gonna happen.

If I understand this correctly, having Axe-Edit as a plugin on my DAW would allow me to save the preset(s)/settings used for tracks in the session and easily pull them up, correct?

If so, that would be magical!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom