Sold my Axe III .... bought an AX8

Great post, I was recently debating with myself about replacing my AX8 with a FX3 because of the CPU issues on the AX8. All my playing now is for the church and most of those presets require multiple reverbs and delay's. I have both the Helix and the AX8 and mainly use the Helix now because I can incorporate all the effect blocks into a single preset. However, I enjoy the sound and feel of the AX8 which sounds more organic which has been the struggle for me which is why I'm thinking of replacing my Helix and AX8 with the FX3. I've been holding out for a possible update to the AX8 platform with more CPU. time will tell. Great post, thank you for sharing.

I've been using Fractal gear for 11 years now (Ultra for 9 then an Axe FX II XL+ 2 years ago). Over that time I've come to realize that I don't need much in terms of amps and effects, at least at one time. With scene controllers and and scenes I can do what I want so I picked up an AX-8 and couldn't be happier.

Same here but straight to the AX8.

Just Scenes and Scene Controllers.

Last days I'm assigning one or two footswitches to switch on/off delay and drive to add it to the scene I'm in, if needed. Cool.

Great post, I was recently debating with myself about replacing my AX8 with a FX3 because of the CPU issues on the AX8. All my playing now is for the church and most of those presets require multiple reverbs and delay's. I have both the Helix and the AX8 and mainly use the Helix now because I can incorporate all the effect blocks into a single preset. However, I enjoy the sound and feel of the AX8 which sounds more organic which has been the struggle for me which is why I'm thinking of replacing my Helix and AX8 with the FX3. I've been holding out for a possible update to the AX8 platform with more CPU. time will tell. Great post, thank you for sharing.
I use with an AX8 exclusively at church also, prior to that I was using various tube amps and a large pedalboard - too much gear to haul. I love the simplicity of the AX8 and the quality tones, effects and sounds that can be achieved with this device! I too bought and tried a Helix, before the AX8, though the interface was great...the amps tones were not in the same league as the AX8 IMHO. Once you learn your way around AX8 and then delve into the AX Editor, you'll realize the possibilities are nearly endless - great, convenient tones in an easy to tote package;)

I use with an AX8 exclusively at church also, prior to that I was using various tube amps and a large pedalboard - too much gear to haul. I love the simplicity of the AX8 and the quality tones, effects and sounds that can be achieved with this device! I too bought and tried a Helix, before the AX8, though the interface was great...the amps tones were not in the same league as the AX8 IMHO. Once you learn your way around AX8 and then delve into the AX Editor, you'll realize the possibilities are nearly endless - great, convenient tones in an easy to tote package;)
I couldn't agree with you more. I've been using the AX8 and the Helix at church and made the decision to move to the AxeFX3. I realized that while I enjoy the simplicity of the AX8 and the Helix I really want the flexibility of the FX3 and while it's bigger then the AX8 and Helix it's still smaller and lighter then my old spaceship of a pedalboard and tube amps I carried into church every weekend. I just watched Chris's video of the FC12 and I'm hooked. That FC12 reminds me of my Mastermind PBC on my spaceship and it has similar features. Pass me some cool-aid. ;-)

I use an Eventide H9 in Pre/Post configuration along with the AX8, this allows me to place H9...OD/Distortion, Phaser, Wah, Compressor effects in front of the AX8 and then H9...Chorus, Flanger, Delay and Reverb effects...after the Ax8. This setup also keeps my AX8s CPU in check; as I'm able simply replace an AX8 effect with one from the H9...if/when my AX8 gets close to exceeding its CPU capacity.

That's a good idea.

I really don't need more CPU, but I wonder: wouldn't it be possible to just add more CPU to the new AX8 batches?

Does it mean they'd have to re-design the unit?

I really don't need more CPU, but I wonder: wouldn't it be possible to just add more CPU to the new AX8 batches?
The software and firmware would have to be updated to take advantage of the extra horsepower and at that point they might as well just make a whole product (e.g. the AX-8 II) which I'm sure they are working on diligently.

Does it mean they'd have to re-design the unit?
See above. ;)

I've done the wall of amps and monster pedalboard thing. I'm over it now - which is what brought me back to Fractal. I had so much fun with the AIII ….. but all I need are a couple of drives, a cool amp model, a dimensional chorus, delay and 'verb and a decent IR. That's the core of most of my sounds - give or take.

In my 'more is more' days, I would have said 'both are more'. Now that my guitar collection went from 15 to 5.... and my amp collection went from 8-10 to zero....and my pedal collection went from dozens to one (Kingsley Jester) …..I do the strangest thing …….. I actually PLAY … when I used to comb through Reverb and Ebay and the gear forums - looking for the next cool thing. The AX8 serves me so perfectly, I can't imagine ever going back to the 'gear game'. Now when/if AX8 V2 comes out …. I will be all over that. Hey, I'm a 'recovering' gear-junky - I didn't say that I had fully 'recovered'. Lol !!!
I'm there with you DrProgNerd...I even purchased a few Kingsley pedals from you on Reverb, at one point my total pedal count was 19 - ridiculous! The hunting/searching for gear can be overwhelming, costly and distracting as well. I just sold a Kingsley Jester and only use a Eventide H9 (Pre/Post AX8) and a Greer LightSpeed OD along with my AX8...this setup covers almost all the bases for me;) I've only had the AX8 about four months now and I'm still trying to get great sounds from the AX8s Overdrive/Distortion pedals...any suggestions AX8 users?

The software and firmware would have to be updated to take advantage of the extra horsepower and at that point they might as well just make a whole product (e.g. the AX-8 II) which I'm sure they are working on diligently.

See above. ;)

Really?

I see a lot of software that just goes faster and better when used with a better computer, so I thought the software and firmware in the AX8 would go the same way.

Anyway I talked about redesigning the hardware because of physical reasons.

I see a lot of software that just goes faster and better when used with a better computer, so I thought the software and firmware in the AX8 would go the same way.
That's the things - the AX-8 isn't a computer/PC. Its CPUs are very specific - they're DSPs with firmware and software that was written specifically for them.

Ok. Thank you. As you can see, I thought it was very similar to a computer.
Far from it, I don't know nothing aboutn the internals but I guess it's a real time OS, more similar to that of industrial machines than to a computer.
The revolution of windows like OS came just from the ability to run on different hardware (at the expense of performance), but when real performance is a must the hardware must be dedicated (with dedicated software).

I also COULD be happier because I just sold my II, like instantly :D but the guy who was selling the AX8 to me disappeared so at the moment I have nothing :tearsofjoy:

Had a MKII a few years back but sold it for various reasons. None that made since because I started lugging amps and cabs around again. When the AX8 was released I bought into the Fractal family again. Since that day I sold all my amps and cabs (still have a Laney 2x12 and Headrush FRFR) for sound reference for presets.

The AX8 is the best piece of gear I own. Still have not used or explored all of its possibilities. Don't see any need in the future to upgrade to newer version or different Fractal model.

Enjoy the AX8.

I'm there with you DrProgNerd...I even purchased a few Kingsley pedals from you on Reverb, at one point my total pedal count was 19 - ridiculous! The hunting/searching for gear can be overwhelming, costly and distracting as well. I just sold a Kingsley Jester and only use a Eventide H9 (Pre/Post AX8) and a Greer LightSpeed OD along with my AX8...this setup covers almost all the bases for me;) I've only had the AX8 about four months now and I'm still trying to get great sounds from the AX8s Overdrive/Distortion pedals...any suggestions AX8 users?

That’s right. I bought a couple from you too. Lol. I looked back in my messages – you sold me a Juggler and a Squire. Small world.

Man, I almost don’t want to say this – since you just sold your Jester – but I love to goose the front of my AX8 with my Jester. Out of all the pedals I had, it’s the only one left that I use (other than a mangey dog of a three-knob Tube Driver that sits on a shelf -that I can’t bring myself to sell)

I calmed the Jester down with a Sovtek 5751 and I leave the boost on all the time. I kick the OD side on for an extra level of gain – here and there. The Jester’s boost gives a nice fullness to the drive and a nice ‘round’ glassiness to cleans. I did the same thing when I owned my AIII. I posted something about it in the AIII section of the Forum …and got a little bit of push-back … not a lot … just a bit. I got the feeling that the die-hards didn’t like the idea that you can’t get everything you want out of one self-contained Fractal unit (cue flames now. Lol). Simple truth is – there’s not a sound I can dial in on the AX8 – that isn’t better when I kick the Kingsley boost on.

For drives contained in the AX8 – I’m liking the Modded 808 and the FAS Boost. I set the amp for a slight breakup, then the aforementioned pedals – stacked - stepping up the levels of gain. Sounds pretty dang good.

Good choice on the Lightspeed. I remember liking that one.

That’s right. I bought a couple from you too. Lol. I looked back in my messages – you sold me a Juggler and a Squire. Small world.

Man, I almost don’t want to say this – since you just sold your Jester – but I love to goose the front of my AX8 with my Jester. Out of all the pedals I had, it’s the only one left that I use (other than a mangey dog of a three-knob Tube Driver that sits on a shelf -that I can’t bring myself to sell)

I calmed the Jester down with a Sovtek 5751 and I leave the boost on all the time. I kick the OD side on for an extra level of gain – here and there. The Jester’s boost gives a nice fullness to the drive and a nice ‘round’ glassiness to cleans. I did the same thing when I owned my AIII. I posted something about it in the AIII section of the Forum …and got a little bit of push-back … not a lot … just a bit. I got the feeling that the die-hards didn’t like the idea that you can’t get everything you want out of one self-contained Fractal unit (cue flames now. Lol). Simple truth is – there’s not a sound I can dial in on the AX8 – that isn’t better when I kick the Kingsley boost on.

For drives contained in the AX8 – I’m liking the Modded 808 and the FAS Boost. I set the amp for a slight breakup, then the aforementioned pedals – stacked - stepping up the levels of gain. Sounds pretty dang good.

Good choice on the Lightspeed. I remember liking that one.
Great insight and info...thanks for sharing! When I used my 'Big Board' the Kingsley's were, well...'King' and my top choice for OD pedals - over my Klon and KoT. I've owned every Kingsley OD pedal except the Page, which is more of a boost though anyway. I was, at that time, using the Juggler/Squire/Constable tube preamps, matching these with any Kingsley tube overdrive pedal was a great match. However and in my particular case the Jester didn't sound quite the same with the AX8 but...the LightSpeed (LS) sounded amazing and has become perfect compliment as an Low-Med OD choice as a front-end boost/OD pedal for the FAS amp models. The transparent nature of the LS allows each FAS amp model to retain its unique character but...will be either a great clean boost, extra grit/drive stage or a full overdrive pedal to the modelled FAS amp and depending its Gain settings. When using the Jester in this same manner, it wasn't nearly as 1.) transparent 2.) sounded a bit thick/thin...not quite right 3.) was just a standard sounding OD/Dis. pedal. This really surprised me as I have much experience with Kingsley pedals, owning 12 of them (some twice) and both v1/v2 on some models. I very much love Kingsley products but and for me they didn't really jive with the AX8 as I had hoped. Maybe and as stacking analog devices, works so well together...stacking digital ODs with digital devices is a better choice as well, the ODs I use from my H9 with the AX8 are some of the best I've ever been able to come up with!

Back
Top Bottom