Saw Crash Test Dummies last night

hippietim

Axe-Master
They were playing in a small venue called Harvester Performance Center r in Rocky Mount, VA. First off, I'd never been to this place before and it's a fantastic venue. It's apparently owned by the town. It has an absolutely fantastic sound system and the room is acoustically treated - the bands sounded fantastic. Anyhow...

I had only ever heard the two hits by the Crash Test Dummies but my bass player is a fan and asked me to go. They were kick ass. I enjoyed every single song of the night. It was apparently the 25th anniversary tour for the album that had Hmmm Hmmm Hmmm Hmmm on it. The drummer was rock solid and his kit sounded fantastic. The guitar player was playing through Deluxe Reverb and a sensible pedal board - his tone was killer and playing was great. Keyboard player and bass player were very good and had great tones. But man, that dude singer is something really special. He's a way low bass/baritone. His pitch was perfect all night and had great control and impeccable microphone skills. His melodic sense was remarkable to me for someone that sings way down yonder. They also have a female singer that was fantastic and she sang a lot of very interesting vocal harmonies with the dude. The dude singer was a great frontman - his in-between song banter was hilarious. Canadian humor is great.

Anyhow, if they come your way it could be well worth your while to check them out.

They are playing a less desirable venue in Fort Lauderdale this Saturday...I’m trying to get out of the frigid North in the next few days .. if I manage to get back to S. Florida I would love to see them .......

Songkick emailed yesterday to let me know they're playing Sweetwater Music Hall this spring. Very tempted...

Every summer where I live, they have what’s called Musicfest. It’s a free concert every Wednesday and Saturday, down by the lake, a beautiful outdoor venue. Couple of summers ago, they celebrated their 25th anniversary and they signed some great Canadian acts from the 80’s. I got to see The Spoons, The Box and Platinum Blonde. They all sounded as good as they did in the 80’s, when I first saw them. What a great summer!

As much as a metalhead I was and still am I always enjoyed their music. I agree. They are great live.

Wow! I forgot how much I hated those two bands! Then again, I was listening to Judas Priest, Iron Maiden and Metallica in the 80’s. I think my older sisters liked them though.

God Shuffled His Feet was altogether written, produced, mixed, and mastered incredibly and well. Great songwriting, and plenty of musical talent. I'd love to see them on tour.

I don’t care what anyone thinks, that mmm mmm mmm song killed it.

After that song came out everybody I knew would sing "hmmm hmmm hmmm hmmm" every time they were asked anything they had to ponder for a few moments. Or even if you asked an obviously stupid, rhetorical question lol.

They played in a small club here years ago and I didn't like them enough to go, but I know a few people who went and said they were really knocked out and surprised by them, just like the OP... "you really missed a great show and band"....

Another Great Canadian band - Coney Hatch.

Ahhh yea Coney Hatch was a staple in the Canadian music scene in the 80's, along with another great Canadian band The Queen City Kids:

This was their biggest hit:

I always loved the grindy guitar tone on that one...like gears not meshing in a transmission lol. They had losta great rock tunes.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom