First gig without IEMs

Rayos

Inspired
Yesterday I had a gig with some friends in a little and nice club in the city.

It was a one-day-tribute-band where we play songs from a classic Spanish rock and roll band.

Only two monitor mixes for the whole band. Not the day for IEMs.

I decided to carry my new JBL EON 610, the one I have in the rehearsal room, which is very close to the gig, and left the DXR10 at home.

I just used a Tele and a JTM45 model with two different delays, one drive, and gain attached to a Scene Controller.

Output 1, left side to the JBL, and right side to the PA.

It was a very pleasant experience. I really enjoyed what I was hearing through the JBL. And some good friends told me it really sounded very good and realistic thought the PA.

The pick response was as good a expected so I could go from very clean to full rhythm gain with my right hand.

The only downside: The other guitar player, who defines his roll in the band as the "rhythm guitar player", with his Fender Supersonic 60 combo (l curse the day (once again) I sold it to him). No way to make him turn it down. The man at the desk couldn't do anything.

Some friends told me to play louder, but that wasn't the solution. My stage sound was right, and my PA sound was right.

I'm sure most of you have suffered (or caused, hahaha. Just kidding) a similar kind of disgrace: A little stage with the audience really close to the band, and the rhythm guitar playing louder than the drummer. Way louder. By the way, the drummer is into hard rock. He doesn't know how to play soft.

Well, I can't see a solution. It's always the same with this man: He needs to hear his bassy (generally Bass and Middle on 10, and treble to 0), too distorted and confusing guitar sound which is the same no matter what kind of music he's playing. No; he is not into metal. Rock and roll and pop music is his preference.

So... Very nice. Everybody had a lot of fun. But... It's sick how a single instrument ruins all the gig.

BUT: my AX8 did it very very good and that makes me happy.

Please, excuse me for using the forum as a place to walk my demons.

Last edited:
Thank you.

If it was that easy..! But I have a 800 at home. Maybe it could be a good idea.

The only solution is forcing him to use IEMs. And if we place his amp out of the club, it will be much better. But there were only two monitor mixes, so it wasn't a solution.

In fact, if I ever play with this band again, IEM for him. I don't want to suffer this problem again.

Reminds me of a great keyboard player years ago, used 2 big Peavey speakers and 1,000 watts just for his keyboards. I told him many times he was way too loud, but he would respond he could just hear himself at that level. One day I presented some speaker stands that would raise the Peavey's to his ear level behind him - he freaked out, said it would blow his head off! Facepalm...

HI,

Another solution might be to angle the amp at his head. Not kidding here - Many guitarists I have played with would stand next to their amp, and the speakers would give their legs a blast, but their head was nowhere near the dispersion pattern of the speakers. So.. the audience (and band members further away) would get a BLAST from their amp while they heard a totally different thing.
So - tilt their amp (or speaker) back and aim it at the favourite position on stage and see how it goes - One issue with this is that the bottom end characteristics of the sound will change significantly so they may find the sound suddenly thin and harsh. You wont though!

Thanks
Pauly

When ya got one (or more) band members in the band that don't want to participate, it's just not fun...the only way to change it is to find others that love group dynamics.

When ya got one (or more) band members in the band that don't want to participate, it's just not fun...the only way to change it is to find others that love group dynamics.
^This right here... a player like that is a tumor. You don't fix it, you remove it for the health and welfare of the whole. Show him the exit.

Output 1, left side to the JBL, and right side to the PA.

Why not use Output 2 to the JBL. That way you control your stage volume independently.

For the other guitar player, tell the FOH sound tech to remove him from the mix. No FOH for him.

Volume wars ...... suck.
I will say , IEMs DO solve that problem. Everyone gets their own mix , and FOH is not effected.

- Otherwise , that should have been a good break from using them. Sorry to hear you had to waste the night playing with a “bonehead”. It’d be my last.

Thank you all.

We've tried all that at the rehearsal. But he never hears himself the way he wants.

We've angled, raised, angled and raised. There's just no way with him.

Why not use Output 2 to the JBL. That way you control your stage volume independently.

For the other guitar player, tell the FOH sound tech to remove him from the mix. No FOH for him.

I did control my stage volume from the JBL level controls. No problem with that. Next time I'll try output 2.

The other guitar player was, in fact, removed from the mix.

Volume wars ...... suck.
I will say , IEMs DO solve that problem. Everyone gets their own mix , and FOH is not effected.

- Otherwise , that should have been a good break from using them. Sorry to hear you had to waste the night playing with a “bonehead”. It’d be my last.

Yes, but only two monitor mixes for the stage. We had 2 guitars, drums, saxophone, bass guitar and four of us singing choruses. Next time I'd like to sacrifice one of the stage monitor mixes for his IEM.

You know how it goes. Real lack of band spirit. I guess it's just it. He needs to learn what's important for the band sounding right.

I do not know why but I'm never satisfied with the tone of modelers on monitors. Never. exist certain frequencies that always bother me a lot. I do not know exactly what they are. I'd much rather listen to myself on a iem. The strange thing is that on PA is alaways good but never on monitors, passive or active.

I do not know why but I'm never satisfied with the tone of modelers on monitors. Never. exist certain frequencies that always bother me a lot. I do not know exactly what they are. I'd much rather listen to myself on a iem. The strange thing is that on PA is alaways good but never on monitors, passive or active.

Maybe I'm not very exquisite with it. But I think I understand you. Maybe it's only about getting used to it.

Never liked my sound on IEM either, I can work with it but not really enjoy it. But as long as there's no alternative given the microscopic venues we play I have to limp along.

I'm the opposite. I much prefer my Axe Fx in my Xitone wedges than my 64Audio 6-way custom molded IEMs.

Of course, you might be meaning PA wedges... Those can be less enjoyable, although I only had to use them once in the last 3 years or so and in that case they were RCF monitors that sounded really good.

I'm the opposite. I much prefer my Axe Fx in my Xitone wedges than my 64Audio 6-way custom molded IEMs.

Of course, you might be meaning PA wedges... Those can be less enjoyable, although I only had to use them once in the last 3 years or so and in that case they were RCF monitors that sounded really good.
Something strange happens, in soudcheck it sounds good, but as the gig goes through some frequencies it bothers me a lot, I usually use iem but sometimes active speakers like qsc, PA always sounds good, I never understood what would be the difference between the PA and the active speakers.

Its funny , just played a gig where the bass player invited his brother to 'sit in' for what was supposed to be 3-5 songs in second set.
He gets his 1x12 combo , dont know but looked like a fender. We start playing blues bros tune and hes there playing Distorted and so freaking loud I cant hear my amp. I have AX8 and marshall 4x10 powered by laney IRT-X. I had to turn up a lot but after that wasnt enough had to tell him tell your brother to turn down. Didnt work. Anyone else think someone who has never played with a band just comes in and overplays to the point of annoyance is professional? Off soapbox. :)

In fact is not easy to get used to guitar sound on iem. It takes time. but today I prefer my tone on iem than on any active monitor. mainly in high volumes

Back
Top Bottom