Saints got robbed

No need to “stand” by your posts. I’ve been here seven years and have always found your input of value. Nothing but respect for those still capable of discourse.

Thanks, I have always appreciated your input as well. Not to mention the Avatar. :)

Hey, I'm a lifelong Ram fan. We got a lucky break and took advantage of it in OT. I'll take it. Kind of wish I had won a ski trip too. LOL

So you honestly believe that the NFL is equivalent to the WWE and all games are predetermined and staged? And then you point to the NCAA as being your choice of competence? Seriously? LOL

1 - Yes.
2 - Compared the the NFL, yes.
3 - Seriously.

And I'm done with you.

LOL.

They all play on a grassy knoll.... :rolleyes:

Seriously, though, human error is a part of having human referees. Some of those errors go hardly noticed, and some change the outcome of games. It is what it is.

I do love reading the passion of the discourse, though. Discussion is interesting.

They all play on a grassy knoll.... :rolleyes:

Seriously, though, human error is a part of having human referees. Some of those errors go hardly noticed, and some change the outcome of games. It is what it is.

I do love reading the passion of the discourse, though. Discussion is interesting.

The Grassy Knoll...now there's some fun discourse.

I think we have all come to expect human error as just another component of the game. Frankly, I'm surprised there are still human's calling tennis matches, as subjectivity isn't required. The tech for a completely non-subjective strike zone has been available for a while now. But that human element also added a lot...Greg Maddux working the zone based on who the ump was... MJ, TB, among others constantly worked the refs during the game for any advantage they could get. Imagine if boxing used tech for scoring instead of humans, now that would be different. As you say, it is what it is and will continue to be so as long as humans are involved...and despite these errors, maybe that's better than the alternative? Just wouldn't ask a Saints fan right now.

Totally cheering for the Rams but that was a terrible non-call. Also agree that while it wouldn't have *totally* guaranteed the Saints win... yea, it pretty much would have. That being said, the Saints still made the kick and led 23-20. Stop the Rams final drive, they win and the play goes into the trivia bin. Then they won the coin flip... Score a TD, they win (as the Pats did). But they didn't - the Rams made a big play on D and hit a long FG. They also led 13-0 with the Rams totally out of sorts, but couldn't maintain their advantage... etc. So it's not all on one play. Except that it is, and that sucks.

I'd be way more suspicious about random "routine" calls continually going against one team if I was looking for a conspiracy - holding, illegal blocks, the kinds of calls that get the announcers to say "I didn't really see that one" or "they kinda missed that" but you let it go in the midst of the game - a few of these happen in almost every game - the Goff facemask just a little earlier being one example of many. The refs simply screwed up big time in a very crucial and visible moment, and it's very unfortunate that the Saints had to pay for it. Hopefully they can fix the rules so that something like this doesn't happen again.

The Grassy Knoll...now there's some fun discourse.

I think we have all come to expect human error as just another component of the game. Frankly, I'm surprised there are still human's calling tennis matches, as subjectivity isn't required. The tech for a completely non-subjective strike zone has been available for a while now. But that human element also added a lot...Greg Maddux working the zone based on who the ump was... MJ, TB, among others constantly worked the refs during the game for any advantage they could get. Imagine if boxing used tech for scoring instead of humans, now that would be different. As you say, it is what it is and will continue to be so as long as humans are involved...and despite these errors, maybe that's better than the alternative? Just wouldn't ask a Saints fan right now.

The human element is most definitely there and I think it's a good thing. Nothing more sterile than a machine calling strikes in my humble opinion. As a coach and even more so a player in any sport that has refs one of your primary tasks is to determine how they are calling the game on any given day and to adjust your game accordingly. Those with the ability to adjust usually prevail and those that don't most often fail.

1 - Yes.
2 - Compared the the NFL, yes.
3 - Seriously.

And I'm done with you.

LOL.

LOL

Sorry, but I just cannot agree with ya. Again, I MUCH prefer the college football game over the pros anyway. But the NCAA has a long reputation of mismanagement that clearly equals anything the NFL can claim.

Can you imagine having a NFL committee that decides who goes to the playoffs not solely based on record? LOL

What bias? I am a rams fan. I have acknowledged the it was a blown call in every one of my posts. Is simply stating, and correctly I might add, that the game was NOT over if they had made the correct call bias? If so then color me biased. :)

Everybody also seems to forget that the Rams had three timeouts at that time as well so they would have got the ball back with about a minute left down 3 and only needing a field goal. Of course, no team EVER in the history of football has moved down the field to get in field goal range in under a minute. :D

The Rams had 1 timeout remaining at that point. It would have been 1st down with a little over 1:30 left in the game. In theory, the Saints could have taken the clock down to about 15-20 seconds with 3 knees before a chip shot FG attempt. While anything could happen, you have to admit there is a very high probability he makes that kick. Barring any type of Cal-Stanford miracle return on the ensuing kickoff, the game was over and the Saints move on to the Super Bowl. So while you are correct that the game was NOT technically over, it would have been over for the Rams.

The Rams had 1 timeout remaining at that point. It would have been 1st down with a little over 1:30 left in the game. In theory, the Saints could have taken the clock down to about 15-20 seconds with 3 knees before a chip shot FG attempt. While anything could happen, you have to admit there is a very high probability he makes that kick. Barring any type of Cal-Stanford miracle return on the ensuing kickoff, the game was over and the Saints move on to the Super Bowl. So while you are correct that the game was NOT technically over, it would have been over for the Rams.

Cannot argue any of that and my argument fro the beginning was that it wasn't a guarantee like so many say it was. There actually is a 6% chance they miss the field goal after taking knees. Slim, I agree but not 100% "guaranteed" as so many claimed. I have seen stranger things happen.

But since we are in the realm of the hypothetical then let's go back a minute before and look at the missed call (the Saints face mask) on the previous series . Had they called that, the Rams would have been first and goal on the one. Let's see, what would they have done then? Take a couple knees and kick a field goal? Run it in for a touchdown? Let's say they run it for the touchdown. More time goes off the clock and now the Saints need a touchdown to tie. I could go on and on and on with ll the possibilities.

Look, it was a terrible non call. I also felt the no face mask call was just as huge and left room for the Saints to come back. As it turned out both teams suffered from the no calls and the game ended in a tie. Both teams started the OT on equal ground and the Saints even got the coin toss. The Rams prevailed because they outplayed the Saints and it truly is sad that calls that should have been made weren't thus tainting the game.

It's a done deal regardless. Time to move on...

Last edited:
Human error. The ref couldn't see from that angle that contact was made. He would've had to assume (which would've been correct) that there was interference so he didn't make a call at all. You can't overturn a non-call. It's a shame. It's easy to say it was so blatant and obvious because it is to us, especially seeing it on replay from the different angles. But if you're the ref and you aren't sure, then you don't make the call. It sucks. If my money were on the Saints I'm sure I'd have a more emotional opinion. I just hope the NFL doesn't overreact and create some kind of replay on non-calls. The game would drag on forever. It's hard enough to define what's a catch.

Back
Top Bottom