[SOLVED] How can i get a more dynamic feel?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, thanks for you response.
I'm not actually 'comparing' , just wanna dial in more feel on the axe fx.

Preferably I want to use the axe fx III using cab sims direcly connected to the front PA, and achieve with a seperate output a proper on stage sound for myself ( I have or the yamaha active speakers for that, or a powercab plus from line 6 set to FRFR. If i can't achieve the wanted sound fully digitally i could use my mesa boogie 20/20 tube rackamp to drive my speaker cabinets.
Yes I get it but I suggested to do that experiment just to verify that the lack of feel you experience is not related to the cab sim.
Connecting your axe to the multiamp and a real cab is easy peasy and will at least give you that answer (if you haven't already tried)

Yes I get it but I suggested to do that experiment just to verify that the lack of feel you experience is not related to the cab sim.
Connecting your axe to the multiamp and a real cab is easy peasy and will at least give you that answer (if you haven't already tried)

Ok, checking that also this evening along with all other suggestions. Thank you!

Turn up output compression in the amp block dynamics tab. Add a compressor (the new analog is great) before the amp. Sometimes a compressor at the end of the chain also sounds great. Volume always helps with dynamics and feel.

I think what you experience with the DV amp is a certain kind of compression character, the Kemper has it's version of this also. While it feels great I'm not sure that it's accurate to say that it's a more realistic tube feel - more of a I like the way it feels and want that sound.

I owned a multiamp for quite a while and whilst it had a feel (that i liked most of the time), when I plugged back into a tube amp it was very different. It's the same with the powered kempers, they have a pleasing "feel" but for me it wasn't like a tube amp.

For me the AxeFX 3 is really close to a tube amp in all ways. If you miss a guitar cab being driven then I'd suggest checking out the Seymor Duncan powerstage. I've only jammed with it a few times so far but it was killer!

If you're talking into a PA then you need to compare to a mic'd up tubeamp which will lack some dynamics compared to a real cab as there will likely be some amount of compression from the microphone which would reduce dynamics.

I owned a multiamp for quite a while and whilst it had a feel (that i liked most of the time), when I plugged back into a tube amp it was very different. It's the same with the powered kempers, they have a pleasing "feel" but for me it wasn't like a tube amp.

For me the AxeFX 3 is really close to a tube amp in all ways. If you miss a guitar cab being driven then I'd suggest checking out the Seymor Duncan powerstage. I've only jammed with it a few times so far but it was killer!

If you're talking into a PA then you need to compare to a mic'd up tubeamp which will lack some dynamics compared to a real cab as there will likely be some amount of compression from the microphone which would reduce dynamics.

Thank for your input, i get it that the output to the PA has another approach. Maybe for me it will indeed finally work out best to look for a seperate routing to another output without the cab sims, so i'll use the axe as a preamp and effect unit driving my cabs in stead a moddeling for myself to get a more 'old-fashion' result on stage. But i am hoping to achieve the same in a FRFR way (or with maybe my powercab plus, which give pretty good results actually).

That said I also know that its always a modelling of the real stuff. And that's Ok. I Also like the AXE FX very well, this is about the last mile, the details. I think they are important.

As others said eliminate the cab modelling
Go into a power amp cab
Or since you have the L6 powercab turn off the cab in Axefx switch powercab from FRFR to one of the in box speakers like the Essex or Jensen for the Matchless and turn it up

Turn up output compression in the amp block dynamics tab. Add a compressor (the new analog is great) before the amp. Sometimes a compressor at the end of the chain also sounds great. Volume always helps with dynamics and feel.

I think what you experience with the DV amp is a certain kind of compression character, the Kemper has it's version of this also. While it feels great I'm not sure that it's accurate to say that it's a more realistic tube feel - more of a I like the way it feels and want that sound.

Well, maybe your a bit right on that matter. It's not easy to discribe since it is subjective off course.
Thanks for the input, lookin in to that this evening.
Anyway, If i find a usefull adjustment that 'fixes' my problem I'll put my findings in this post.

do you have a preset that YOU created? if so, post that.
Well, maybe your a bit right on that matter. It's not easy to discribe since it is subjective off course.
Thanks for the input, lookin in to that this evening.
Anyway, If i find a usefull adjustment that 'fixes' my problem I'll put my findings in this post.
this seems to be a commercial (@fremen) preset, at least based on one, that should probably not be shared, as I stated earlier.

Is it me or have I lost my mind? You’ve given us this list of gear you have including your “non-shitty guitars” made these sweeping claims that just aren’t true. They may be something you are struggling with but that’s user error, not the fault of the unit. The one thing you never bothered to list was any of these amps that you are claiming don’t feel right have you ever owned or even played through for that matter? You posted a DC30 patch, I assume you are intimately familiar with this amp?
I think you’re looking for the AxeFX to respond like the DV and I’m sure it could be set up to do that, but not a lot of people have one of those to help in that regard.. so that’s a tough ask.
There’s a ton of parameters that can tweak dynamics in a lot of different ways in the Amp Block even beyond what is possible in real life in some cases.. read the wiki.

I scratch my head when I see a post like this
Cuz I’m always trying to pull back the dynamics. Tuns of dynamics. I’m sure Leslie1975 has a valid issue but it has to be in your chain, maybe you need better speakers

Come on guys... even a ref from the Saints-Rams game would throw up a red flag for this thread.

New user, incoherent rambling posts, comparing the Axe to solid state and yet complaining about tube feel of other amps, obtuse arguments to any and all responses, and a high end rig with lots of name dropping all the Anderson, Fender Custom Shop, Axe III, monitors etc they use so it’s “not the gear”, etc etc.

How many times are we going to keep taking the bait before we learn ?
Your part of the problem with the form of people who spend all there time trying to defend the axe Fx this person and me know where it can improve to be even better and it hurts you cause you’ve been hype marketed and spent 3,000 and probably don’t have that dynamic of a picking technique or just no picking technique

The axe fx 2 has no dynamics and I’ve been wondering if the 3 is the same and this post just cleared that up for me
I play with dynamic picking with my amps I can pick lightly and have a edge of break up tone and dig in to full gain the axe fx has something limiting this from happening I can pick lighter then it’s treashold and get a non dynamic wanna be break up fake sounding tone or I can get the exact tone of 10 years gone just with verry little realistic dynamic range recently I’ve been playing with the envolope filter on the input gain and mv and getting slightly more lively ness but still I’m not happy and I bought the axe two brand new for the same price as the 3 is now
This person hasn’t even mentioned that the new fortin plug ins and stl tones plug in have more dynamics then all the fractal units

I can use the volume knob on my guitar or right hand picking dynamics to go from clean to mean on any amp in the box that would perform as such in real life. I have no idea what is causing the issue as discussed in this thread, but I wish all the best.

When I think of lack of dynamics
I instantly think of too much gating
Compression or something off w impedance
But I am confused are we talking dynamics or Amp in the room
The Multi amp IIRC has a built in
250 watt analog power amp

The Axe is a digital power amp sim
To go apples to apples you would have to use some thing like a Matrix
Or quilter into a cab

Taking the Axe into a Mesa tube power amp might sound great but then you have reintroduced tubes into your setup so it not really a fair comparison

This is all assuming that the Feel thing and the amp in the room are realated to what you find yourself missing

The best way is process of elimination

As I mentioned turn off cab block and go into one of the power cab speaker modes
Not FRFR

If that still sucks then try getting rid of the power amp sim and go direct power amp to cab.

This will help you figure out if it’s the cab block or the power amp modelling that is bugging you in the AXE

Last edited:
It does seem you have somewhat of a complex setup. I prefer to keep things as simple as possible. I run the my AXE III SPDIF out into my interface (a good one.. not a cheap one.. this makes a huge difference)... from my interface I run them into my Adams monitors. Do you have any studio monitors to try with your AXE FX? How loud do you play the AXE FX vs the real amps/cabs? Google the "Fletcher Munson effect". With all of those different speakers it will sound different through each one setup you are using at the time.

With the Adams and the way I have them setup, I'm able to get the "feel" I want... and I own a few amps/cabs... so I have some idea of what I like. I find it quite easy to dial a tone to my liking. Leon (see post above) has some great videos he's done that have helped me a lot to really dial in a great tone/feel!

Is it possible that the AXE FX is giving you a more realistic sound that what you have actually been hearing?

Could you post a sample mix somewhere? I'd be curious to see how it sounds.

The axe fx 2 has no dynamics and I’ve been wondering if the 3 is the same and this post just cleared that up for me
I play with dynamic picking with my amps I can pick lightly and have a edge of break up tone and dig in to full gain the axe fx has something limiting this from happening I can pick lighter then it’s treashold and get a non dynamic wanna be break up fake sounding tone or I can get the exact tone of 10 years gone just with verry little realistic dynamic range recently I’ve been playing with the envolope filter on the input gain and mv and getting slightly more lively ness but still I’m not happy and I bought the axe two brand new for the same price as the 3 is now
This person hasn’t even mentioned that the new fortin plug ins and stl tones plug in have more dynamics then all the fractal units

I wonder if your noisegate is choking your guitar signal? Try check that, turn it off completely and see if you get better results.

Not being a "fanboy" in my response here, however I have both the AxeFX 2 and 3, both have incredible dynamics when compared to my very expensive Marshall tube amp. I have 2 Gibson Les Pauls, when I roll the volume back on one of the LPs then the gain cleans up just beautifully on the AxeFX, however on my other LP the volume pot is wired differently and simply doesn't clean up at all when rolling the volume pot back on the guitar. So this could also be a factor for you in your setup even on an expensive guitar - it might be just the wiring.

EDIT: I should add that I get great dynamics on both the 2 and 3 without having to touch the Advanced parameters on the Amp block. Although, some amps don't clean up as well as others, so also try a different amp.

All of these people agree with you:

https://www.fractalaudio.com/artists/

:rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom