Saints got robbed

Had the penalty been called, the game would have been over. Plenty of chances to win a game that was already theirs.

I'm from New Orleans, so this stung. Apparent incompetence at this level always leads to questions of corruption.

I disagree. It was a terrible no call but to say the game was over had they called it correctly is just not factual. So what happens if they call it like we all agree they should have? The Saints run or pass it for a TD the next play? They take a couple of knees and kick the game winner with a few seconds left? What if they fumbled? What if they got intercepted? Missed the chip shot? Not givens at all. Say they punched it in for the TD the Rams still went all the way down the field in the following minute and could have easily had their own TD shot instead of the field goal they chose to tie it. In other words there are a lot of scenarios that could have happened and had the right call been made on that one play does not necessarily guarantee the game was over.

I disagree. It was a terrible no call but to say the game was over had they called it correctly is just not factual. So what happens if they call it like we all agree they should have? The Saints run or pass it for a TD the next play? They take a couple of knees and kick the game winner with a few seconds left? What if they fumbled? What if they got intercepted? Missed the chip shot? Not givens at all. Say they punched it in for the TD the Rams still went all the way down the field in the following minute and could have easily had their own TD shot instead of the field goal they chose to tie it. In other words there are a lot of scenarios that could have happened and had the right call been made on that one play does not necessarily guarantee the game was over.

Agreed, " Factual" is an inaccurate statement. Of course any of those scenarios "could" have played out, you could also include other outliers like earthquakes, alien invasion etc... I think likelihood is more relevant... they get the correct call, first and ten, three knees and you have a 27 yd fg on the last play from a kicker who was 93% on all kicks this year and 100% on everything under 40. Sure it wasn't a guarantee but from the Saints point of view there wasn't a greater likelihood they would have hoped for. Zero chance they run or pass on the ensuing plays, only run the clock...as the analytics would give the highest priority to scoring with no time remaining and Payton is well aware of it. Yes they weren't "guaranteed" anything but the probability could not have been more favorable.

Not a Saints fan (Bears) in any respect and in fact have had a futures bet on the Rams since before the season. But this was egregious.

Agreed, " Factual" is an inaccurate statement. Of course any of those scenarios "could" have played out, you could also include other outliers like earthquakes, alien invasion etc... I think likelihood is more relevant... they get the correct call, first and ten, three knees and you have a 27 yd fg on the last play from a kicker who was 93% on all kicks this year and 100% on everything under 40. Sure it wasn't a guarantee but from the Saints point of view there wasn't a greater likelihood they would have hoped for. Zero chance they run or pass on the ensuing plays, only run the clock...as the analytics would give the highest priority to scoring with no time remaining and Payton is well aware of it. Yes they weren't "guaranteed" anything but the probability could not have been more favorable.

Not a Saints fan (Bears) in any respect and in fact have had a futures bet on the Rams since before the season. But this was egregious.

I agree. It's highly probable the Saints go on to win if the right call was made. Just as it was probable the Rams get a touchdown instead of the field goal if they had called the face mask on the Saints. Missed calls effect the game and the timing of the missed call also plays into it. All I am saying is those "guaranteeing" the Saints win if that call was made are inaccurate. I don't happen to think taking three knees and a field goal is 100% guaranteed. If you can prove to me that it is then I will capitulate. I have played sports long enough to have been part of and seen many many improbable and downright unbelievable endings to games sans earthquakes and alien invasions.

It's sad that a good game played well by both teams has to come down to one very bad blown call.

Is that Rob Trujillo of metallica reffing? Oh no its restylane ruined Sandra B!

124f340d-02e1-4ff2-8619-fc35ee2b062c-jpeg.51948

I agree. It's highly probable the Saints go on to win if the right call was made. Just as it was probable the Rams get a touchdown instead of the field goal if they had called the face mask on the Saints. Missed calls effect the game and the timing of the missed call also plays into it. All I am saying is those "guaranteeing" the Saints win if that call was made are inaccurate. I don't happen to think taking three knees and a field goal is 100% guaranteed. If you can prove to me that it is then I will capitulate. I have played sports long enough to have been part of and seen many many improbable and downright unbelievable endings to games sans earthquakes and alien invasions.

It's sad that a good game played well by both teams has to come down to one very bad blown call.

The only thing 100% guaranteed is death and the AxeFx4 being announced two weeks after my Axefx3 XL+ purchase (taxes went optional some time ago). I would not be so foolish to attempt to "guarantee" anything, football or otherwise. The clear strategy for any team in that situation would be three knees and a FG, this is the answer that the analytics would have called for as well as the stated strategy by Payton...even Riverboat Ron would have gone that route without a blink of an eye. IMO the only thing in question here is the probability of the remaining possible outcomes and made FG is the most "probable" outcome by far. And I agree, I played the game for twelve years and have seen number of crazy things... I know what's possible (anything), my point is that at the timeframe of the game and the limited possible outcomes remaining...the probability would have been overwhelmingly in the Saints favor.

This one won't go away, they will make some kind policy change as a result of this...a logical and well considered one if we are lucky ...but history suggests otherwise.

I'm happy though as the Rams making the Super Bowl won me an all expense paid ski trip, and I was able to get 9/1 on the Pats to win the Super Bowl a little while back, so I'm on house money at this point. Now if I can only get my FC12 invite...

The only thing 100% guaranteed is death and the AxeFx4 being announced two weeks after my Axefx3 XL+ purchase (taxes went optional some time ago). I would not be so foolish to attempt to "guarantee" anything, football or otherwise. The clear strategy for any team in that situation would be three knees and a FG, this is the answer that the analytics would have called for as well as the stated strategy by Payton...even Riverboat Ron would have gone that route without a blink of an eye. IMO the only thing in question here is the probability of the remaining possible outcomes and made FG is the most "probable" outcome by far. And I agree, I played the game for twelve years and have seen number of crazy things... I know what's possible (anything), my point is that at the timeframe of the game and the limited possible outcomes remaining...the probability would have been overwhelmingly in the Saints favor.

This one won't go away, they will make some kind policy change as a result of this...a logical and well considered one if we are lucky ...but history suggests otherwise.

I'm happy though as the Rams making the Super Bowl won me an all expense paid ski trip, and I was able to get 9/1 on the Pats to win the Super Bowl a little while back, so I'm on house money at this point. Now if I can only get my FC12 invite...

We are not really disagreeing here. I totally understand what you are saying and yes the probability is high that the Saints would have touched the knee 3 times and attempted the field goal. My point all along was that that is no guarantee of the win like so many are saying was a certainty. The fact is only 94.1% of point afters were made this year. And those 5,9% of misses were without playoff and super bowl aspiration pressure. I just hate the would have could have talk when none of us knows what would have really happened. Heck, had the face masking call been made then maybe the saints never get to the point where that play is made. We could speculate forever. It was a bang bang play in real time that was an obvious blown call when replayed. It shouldn't have happened but it did and does in every game played. For once my Rams got the benefit, I'll take it. :)

Yeah, cause they don't miss calls in college football. :D
I do actually prefer the college game over the pros.
Like I said just one more reason. I have many. The NFL is fixed and fake as the WWE. It's a multi billion dollar entertainment concern and the proof is in the word franchise.

It is becoming clear that blown call will likely be remembered as- one of the all-time boneheaded (or blatantly prejudiced if u believe Trev’s take) officiating moves , with clearest immediate game changing consequences,
But the juggernaut rolls on and we get Fractal sound at halftime in a couple weeks.........

Terrible non-call at a crucial moment.

I have enjoyed re-reading all the pundits explaining the utter impossibility of TB12 getting back to the SB. “The torch has been passed, Patriots fans, get over it.”

Um hmm. Join the rest of the saviors in the spectators section, please.

I stand behind my statements. These heinously obviously blown calls tend to happen at critical points in games that are supposed to go a certain way. But like I said my abandoning the NFL isn't just about shady calls by refs that are all getting their marching orders from a control center in Manhattan.

As a former Steelers fan and former NFL watcher I'm sick to death of the sudden bad play calling by the refs and the prima donna players. The Steelers consistently just stopped playing football in the 4th quarter in too many games this season for it to be just coincidence. Looking at shots of the bench the players aren't even winded. They're chilling. It's pure shenanigans. As for the prima donna players this season, it started with Le'Veon Bell honestly thinking he was gonna be the guy that finally got the Rooneys to flinch. Yeah, right, sport. Then it was Antonio Brown with his little hissy fits. This nonsense happens all over "the league" which really is "the corporation".

Over it. Gimme ESPN 8.

EvilLeafyKangaroo-small.gif

...And the bias finally is revealed. :rolleyes:

What bias? I am a rams fan. I have acknowledged the it was a blown call in every one of my posts. Is simply stating, and correctly I might add, that the game was NOT over if they had made the correct call bias? If so then color me biased. :)

Everybody also seems to forget that the Rams had three timeouts at that time as well so they would have got the ball back with about a minute left down 3 and only needing a field goal. Of course, no team EVER in the history of football has moved down the field to get in field goal range in under a minute. :D

What bias? I am a rams fan. I have acknowledged the it was a blown call in every one of my posts. Is simply stating, and correctly I might add, that the game was NOT over if they had made the correct call bias? If so then color me biased. :)

Everybody also seems to forget that the Rams had three timeouts at that time as well so they would have got the ball back with about a minute left down 3 and only needing a field goal. Of course, no team EVER in the history of football has moved down the field to get in field goal range in under a minute. :D

I could be wrong and haven’t checked, but my recollection was that the rams had one timeout left at the time of the play. The best possible scenario for the Rams was getting the ball back with :16 on the clock but more likely it would have been closer to :12. At which point the best probability for them would have been (ironically), a deep pi call into fg range.

I could be wrong and haven’t checked, but my recollection was that the rams had one timeout left at the time of the play. The best possible scenario for the Rams was getting the ball back with :16 on the clock but more likely it would have been closer to :12. At which point the best probability for them would have been (ironically), a deep pi call into fg range.

I was wrong. Supposedly they had two left according to the article i am now reading. I'm not really sure of that anymore as I think they called one again after the 2nd down run. :) They are saying the Rams would have got the ball back with 45 seconds to a min on the clock. Regardless of all the possible scenarios, we can talk till the cows come home and nothing will change. It was a bad call no doubt but the Rams would have had a chance, granted a slight one, but a chance to pull off the big plays to tie it regardless. I stand by my posts that if the call was made it was not a "guaranteed" victory for the Saints. Nobody, can prove otherwise. I can however show you proof of teams winning games over the years with far less probability than the Rams would have had.

I have always remembered what one of my coaches told us when we lost games due to a bad call. And there were a few of them over my lifetime in sports They simply said, "Don't put yourself in a position where one bad call will decide a game." Damn coaches. LOL

Regardless of all the hoopla, the Super Bowl should be a good game. These two teams started the Patriots dynasty 23 years ago and I think retribution is in order. :)

Last edited:
So you honestly believe that the NFL is equivalent to the WWE and all games are predetermined and staged? And then you point to the NCAA as being your choice of competence? Seriously? LOL

My drummer is of the same mind except that he believes that the players aren’t in on it... this come up weekly in season, and he’s a cowboys fan, and who get more calls than them I ask? Drummers...

I think that what we are really seeing is the effects of moneyball analytics permeating all sports now. The cycle is easy to see, particularly if you remove the spurs and the patriots. Worst to first works. You have to intentionally bottom out for a period: Rams, Bears, Browns, Cubs, Astro’s, Sixers, Bulls, Celtics Cavs, and others...In fooball you need this to work while your quarterback is still on his rookie contract so you have a five year window. The Raider are playing this perfectly right now... they will be competing for championships within two years of moving to Vegas with Trevor Lawrence at QB.

I don’t think this plays into the nfl exerting influence to determine outcomes of playoff games (motivation? They bank either way and small market teams still make the sb), and sure some markets will generate more than others, but is that delta worth the potential repercussions should this come to light? On the other hand I doubt the vast majority would even care... they’re just happy to be distracted.

I was wrong. Supposedly they had two left according to the article i am now reading. I'm not really sure of that anymore as I think they called one again after the 2nd down run. :) They are saying the Rams would have got the ball back with 45 seconds to a min on the clock. Regardless of all the possible scenarios, we can talk till the cows come home and nothing will change. It was a bad call and the Rams would have had a chance, granted a slight one, but a chance to pull off the big plays to tie it. I stand by my posts that if the call was made it was not a "guaranteed" victory for the Saints. Nobody, can prove otherwise. I can however show you proof of teams winning games over the years with far less probability than the Rams would have had.

No need to “stand” by your posts. I’ve been here seven years and have always found your input of value. Nothing but respect for those still capable of discourse.

Back
Top Bottom