What to do when you can’t line up IRs?

Perdikament

Power User
i was just working with a fewOwnhammer IR’s from the Mesa Oversized cab that I converted non MPC & there was too much lead in and I couldn’t shift over a regular IR far enough to get it to line up.
Not that it’s a real big deal, just wondering though has anyone else run into this? It wasn’t really even close.

Not sure if it will work for your needs, but there is a freeware program called IRWorkshop that I used to fix some IRs for my Mooer Preamp-Live (because it does not have high and low cut).

As others have said, trim with Cab-Lab. That leading silence is unnecessary latency.

The problem with commercial IR utilities is they aren't very smart and they don't account for converter latency. The internal IR capture utility accounts for these things.

As others have said, trim with Cab-Lab. That leading silence is unnecessary latency.

The problem with commercial IR utilities is they aren't very smart and they don't account for converter latency. The internal IR capture utility accounts for these things.
Even better.

If you can connect Cab Lab to your unit, you can export IRs directly to the unit just like in Axe Manage Cabs.

Auto Trim works! (now to figure out if there is a batch process method like Axe Mange cabs) man today is a good day

You can also use Axe-Edit to trim the silence.

1. From the Preferences dialog select Cabinet Import and the set the "IR Processing" mode to "Auto Trim".
2. Export the IR from Axe-Manage Cabs.
3. Re-import the Cab to the desired User slot.

i have been using Axe Edit to batch import from the same OH library and I was having no luck getting it to auto trim. I just now had success using cab lab, on one IR directly sent to AFX3 from Cab Lab. Am I misunderstanding how Axe Edit IR processing works? I was thinking it would process them from your hard drive on the way to the AFX3. Sounds like you have to load them into Axe Manage cabs, export them to process them, then re-import them with AxeManage Cabs? ...going to RTFM now.

edit: Cab Lab Wav2Syx works perfectly for batch processing. It auto trimmed 184 wav files in about a minute, which i then imported via Axe Manage Cabs using the syx files (aloooot faster using syx files.)

Last edited:
You can also use Axe-Edit to trim the silence.

1. From the Preferences dialog select Cabinet Import and the set the "IR Processing" mode to "Auto Trim".
2. Export the IR from Axe-Manage Cabs.
3. Re-import the Cab to the desired User slot.
Do I have to export the Cabs that are already loaded on the unit or can I just select that option in the menu and reimport from my windows folder?
Oh, and another thing, which is a tremendous pain in the ..., after I grab a big chunk of .wav IR’s and drag them over into the AxeEdit Manage Cabs conversion window, I haven’t found a way to then grab them all at once and bring them into the User Slots, it’ll only let ya go one by one! Please tell me there’s a secret trick!? Lol

Do I have to export the Cabs that are already loaded on the unit or can I just select that option in the menu and reimport from my windows folder?

The latter. If you already have the files, just re-import with Auto-Trim enabled.

I haven’t found a way to then grab them all at once and bring them into the User Slots, it’ll only let ya go one by one! Please tell me there’s a secret trick!? Lol

Shift+click to the last one in the list, then have fun flailing the mouse trying up to get the user slots to stop spazing out as you drag them over

Interesting, after Auto-Trimming in CabLab, files that had the same exact amount of pre-lead in don’t line up any more.. they don’t get trimmed the same amount..

Interesting, after Auto-Trimming in CabLab, files that had the same exact amount of pre-lead in don’t line up any more.. they don’t get trimmed the same amount..

I'm having the same result, it's sort of giving random trimming results. IRs from the same library, same mic, they have random different start points after processing.

Noticed the same thing.. I think the auto-trim algorithm looks for the first non-zero sample to decide where to cut, but sometimes an IR happens to have some non-zero samples before the actual impulse, probably due to noise, and it gets trimmed at the wrong place.

A manual trim function would be useful, manual meaning you can choose the number of samples to trim.

Back
Top Bottom