Possibly Purchasing FX8

Midheavy

Inspired
i was thinking about purchasing the FX8. When researching I happened to come across a couple of threads where some could not run up to eight effects at once because the unit would reach the cpu limit. Is this still an issue? That would be a deal breaker for me.

Hi Tamyorke
Each effect/amp/cab consumes a certain percentage of cpu. For example, a reverb will use more than a volume block. This is complicated further when you understand that some blocks will use a different amount of cpu depending on the blocks configuration - eg; a reverb block configured to high quality, will consume more than the same block configured for standard quality.
This makes it difficult to give you a definitive answer as your presets will have different configurations to others.

Maybe a better way to get an answer would be to list how you’d like to configure a preset, so one of the good people with an axe 8 can try it and let you know.

Another, more long term solution may be to seriously look at the axe Fx III.

Thanks
Pauly

My main goal is to see if this could replace my current 16 pedal setup. I do not plan on using drives or amp simulators. A big factor for me is the ability to stack delays and reverbs, chorus, flanger and tremelo's. Having that at my fingertips would help with the creative process. My pedal board consist of Boss DD3, MXR Carbon copy, Boss RV6, Boss BF-2, Boss TR-2, Boss CE-2, EH Pitchfork MXR Univibe, MXR Phaaser. The rest of my pedals run to the front of the amp.

I usually only run into CPU issues when using two reverb blocks - but yes if you are always using all 8 blocks there is the chance of going over.

I was running 9 pedals or so before moving to the FX8.

As mentioned, I only run into CPU issues when I tried to have two reverb blocks in one preset. My workaround was having 2 main presets and setting the F-switches so that I can toggle between them quickly. The only often-used differences between the two presets is the reverb type (shared secondary setting) and delay type. Axe Edit makes doing this fairly easy, though I learned on the unit itself first. Remember also that each button has an X and Y state (two reverbs in 1 button, just can't stack) and that an expression pedal controls enough parameter changes to make yet a different tone. I even made a delay block to sound like an ambient reverb to keep CPU low and still achieve the sounds I needed for a part.

If you are ok with getting the sound of stacking reverbs out of just 1 reverb block, you are probably going to be alright.

Back
Top Bottom