What do you want video demos of?

I also prefer my switches to activate on the down-tap and so I don't even want the hold function active.
I couldn't agree more, in fact I often plant my foot on the switch and leave it there out of habit. Getting used to timing the release of the switch would take some doing.

You can't have custom layouts per-preset, you can have custom switches that are defined by the preset. So Layout 1 could be all per-preset switches that are defined when you load a preset. It's still Layout 1 though.
Ah... But you can have 24 per-preset switches, so you could technically have 2 full per-preset layouts ;)

The FC platform is quite powerful. An FC6 is a seriously powerful foot controller in a compact form factor.

The FC platform is quite powerful. An FC6 is a seriously powerful foot controller in a compact form factor.
Yeah, the more I think about it, the more I think an FC6 might be all I need. I typically use 3-4 scenes per song and don't need much else besides tuner/tap and bank up. You don't need bank down in setlist mode.

Still not a custom layout. Get it right so the manual isn't confusing when it's read by others.
True... But I didn't say "custom layout". ;)

My point in my previous reply was that if you were to, for example, define 12 per preset switches that override the 12 switches on Layout 1 you have effectively created a per preset layout.

My desire is to have it set up the following way on the 12 only version ,
One switch brings me to banks, one brings me to presets, one brings me to scenes, but from any of those layouts, i always want to have the ability to have at least 10 stomp/effects for on/off function.

I want to mimic the helix layout if possible,(always a mode switch brings me back to my stomps within the preset ) no matter which scenario (banks,presets,or scenes) i am in,

i always have a method of getting back into the preset itself with the IA (on off) function with one tap.

That’s where i live 95 percent of the time. When i look down, i see all the effects and stomps that can fit on the 12... assuming this is possible with just the 12...

I understand. I am, however, afraid my needs will grow with time, knowledge and experience. I just wonder at what point would I wish I had the 12, if ever.

The biggest reason I've seen for considering the FC-6 over the 12 is that unless you're pedalboard is wider than 24", you can't use the FC-12 and expression pedals easily.

My desire is to have it set up the following way on the 12 only version ,
One switch brings me to banks, one brings me to presets, one brings me to scenes
are these 3 switches all on one "master layout"? or are they all on every layout?

but from any of those layouts, i always want to have the ability to have at least 10 stomp/effects for on/off function.
so for the Scenes Layout you mention, you want 8 Scene switches, and 10 stomp switches? that's 18 things. you're ok with a Hold function for some of this? or a Toggle function for some Scenes perhaps?

not everyone know how a Helix works.

The biggest reason I've seen for considering the FC-6 over the 12 is that unless you're pedalboard is wider than 24", you can't use the FC-12 and expression pedals easily.

Do many people mount something like a FC12 to a board in the first place ?

I’ve always set my foot controllers up just on the floor/stage, with EXP’s connected with short cables and at a slight angle for better comfort. Makes it easier to break down and pack and just couple of quick pedals to plug in.

Seems like a board big enough for a FC, exp pedals etc would be kind of a beast to lug around

I’ve always set my foot controllers up just on the floor/stage, with EXP’s connected with short cables and at a slight angle for better comfort. Makes it easier to break down and pack and just couple of quick pedals to plug in.

Seems like a board big enough for a FC, exp pedals etc would be kind of a beast to lug around

I might. Depends on how things play out. Having everything pre-wired on a board you can just slap down on the floor is easier for me. Especially if you use a few external pedals. You can also store cables in the case as well.

My pedalboard have always included my controller.

My current board has MFC and 4 expression pedals.

I open the case and connect one cable. Done.

I don't want to be plugging in anything I don't have to at a gig.

My board has a case lid... It transports like all my other gear.

My pedalboard have always included my controller.

My current board has MFC and 4 expression pedals.

I open the case and connect one cable. Done.

I don't want to be plugging in anything I don't have to at a gig.

My board has a case lid... It transports like all my other gear.

Me to, I just ordered my flat board for my my FC-6 and EV-2. Then at the gig its one cable and done:cool:

Last edited:
I can totally get the benefit of having it all hooked up and ready to go. My concern would be stage space. When I used to have lots of pedals, I would do several smaller boards, and I’d connect a single cable to patch them together. This was I could take more or less depending on the needs, and more so, make sure I could fit everything on the stage.

If you’ve got this big rigid board that is like 3 feet long, and you’ve got this tigjt stage where it might be hard to find 3 square feet of space, and your rig is all bolted down, then your kind of stuck.

I like my EXP’s free as I could stick the controller on one side of a mic stand, put the cables behind it, then EXP’s on the opposite side etc

Whatever works though, certainly no right or wrong solutions

I can totally get the benefit of having it all hooked up and ready to go. My concern would be stage space. When I used to have lots of pedals, I would do several smaller boards, and I’d connect a single cable to patch them together. This was I could take more or less depending on the needs, and more so, make sure I could fit everything on the stage.

If you’ve got this big rigid board that is like 3 feet long, and you’ve got this tigjt stage where it might be hard to find 3 square feet of space, and your rig is all bolted down, then your kind of stuck.

I like my EXP’s free as I could stick the controller on one side of a mic stand, put the cables behind it, then EXP’s on the opposite side etc

Whatever works though, certainly no right or wrong solutions
Yeah, this is my dilemma, too. I have a 28" pedalboard that's wide enough for an FC-12 and one expression pedal (two, if they're really, really small). By rights, I'd need a 32" board to adequately fit two XPs. It's great to have everything on one cable, but I can't always afford that much floor space.

Yeah, this is my dilemma, too. I have a 28" pedalboard that's wide enough for an FC-12 and one expression pedal (two, if they're really, really small). By rights, I'd need a 32" board to adequately fit two XPs. It's great to have everything on one cable, but I can't always afford that much floor space.

Ya nice to have, but man some of the stages......... ad flying..... thus the FC-6 and EV-2 on a flat board. My new board will be 15.25 wide by 10.25 deep. That will fit on most any stage lol!

are these 3 switches all on one "master layout"? or are they all on every layout?

so for the Scenes Layout you mention, you want 8 Scene switches, and 10 stomp switches? that's 18 things. you're ok with a Hold function for some of this? or a Toggle function for some Scenes perhaps?

not everyone know how a Helix works.
Yes, I have no problem with a hold, toggle, etc. basically, the helix has a two switch at the same time feature , that brings up 8 banks, if you double press again, it goes into 8 scenes, and double press again and you have your 8 presets , at least the way i have it set up .
But on each of these layouts, there is always a mode button that brings me to stomp mode.... I am pretty sure from looking at the pics only that Matt showed awhile back, I can accomplish this.. but yes, hold, toggle, its all part of that, so that is more than fine with me

While I'd like the convenience of just one cable, a pedalboard takes up more space and a little extra weight. I just use two expression pedals so it's just two more simple connections. I can get everything in one bag that's easier to carry than a pedalboard case and it's smaller.

Back
Top Bottom