Volume issues - Friedman asm-12 can´t keep with JCM800KK (Kt88) w/4x12

Thomas Obester

Experienced
Hi guys,

I am thinking about buying a second Friedman ASM-12 or maybe ASC-12 to stack the one on another (Is it possible I´ll get an unwanted feedback between monitors this way) ?
The reason for buying a second monitor is that I do not want to push single monitor that much, it is now cranked all the way before clipping occurs while using very heavy palm muting.

I am using Atomica High with saturation on 10, input gain on 5,5 and alnico II really low output pickups.

The problem is output of asm-12.
The other guitarist is playing through Marshall jcm 800 Kerry King sig. amp with KT88 and orange 4x12 with Celestion GK100.
He has his master volume from 0-10 range below 3, input gain on 6.
My Friedman asm output knob is set at 6, ax8 out1 knob fully open, VU meter shows around 0db, when palm muting it can get around +3db.
It is right at the treshold, any db added and my friedman is going to clip, not clip just once in a while, but maybe every 2-3 seconds while playing.

Btw, I am using Ownhammer F-man 6 pack, which is basically friedman BE 4x12 IRs.
Using combination of all speakers, it is the BEST sound I have ever heard (I owned Mesa road king II head, Diezel Herbert and few other great amps in a past) and this Atomica with Friedman cab cuts through mix like a knife, really, so this frequency spectrum is not a problem I think.
The clarity, punch, everything is there, just really not enough volume.
I am starting to think that there will be no other option but to buy Friedman BE 50 or 100w head and exchange the AX8 for FX8.
Looking forwards for your repplies and advices.
thanks in advance,
Tomas

Turn up the volume on your AX8 output block on the grid....or adjust the LEVEL of the amp block on individual presets?

Turn up the volume on your AX8 output block on the grid....or adjust the LEVEL of the amp block on individual presets?
Turning up the volume anywhere in signal chain will just cause that monitor will be clipping, that´s what I don´t want.
Maybe second ASM/ASC could help, since this is not the same as adding another passive 4x12 to one tube amp, because the monitors are powered, who knows ?
I dunno for sure, that´s why I am asking :) thankx for the reply :)

I use a single Yamaha dxr10. The other guitarist with a jcm800 and triple rectifier running through a jcm800 4x12, asks me to turn my rig down.

I don’t have experience first hand with the Friedman’s but have read on other forums people wishing for a touch more volume.

Post the preset you are using, as many times peeps on here can see how you are setting up your signal chain, this could be adding to the clipping problem.

I've tried quite a few different FRFR solutions including the most popular ones. Strictly in terms of volume:

Yamaha DXR10 >>> Atomic CLR >>> Friedman ASM > Matrix FR10

I play in a decently loud two guitar rock covers band. The Matrix FR10 worked but just barely, The Friedman ASM worked as well but was dimed on the input gain on the ASM with the output volume on the Ax8 at about 3 o'clock from memory. The Atomic CLR is the first one that has decent headroom. It's easily louder than the ASM and the FR10. The Yamaha DXR10 is really very, very loud. I ran the input gain on the DXR10 at about 10 o'clock and the output volume on the Ax8 at about 10 o'clock as well. Lots and lots of headroom.

If the band was a bit louder, I can easily see that neither the Friedman or the Matrix would be loud enough. Adding another speaker would definitely help but personally I'd go with the CLR or the DXR10 instead because the ASM is just so big and heavy. I've since sold both the Matrix and the Friedman and now I own two DXR10's and two CLR's.

Here´s the preset with cab
sounds and looks ok to me, I was able to push the AMP LEVEL up to 0db with no problem, suggest you try the same. FYI, this preset did point to user cabs not factory (coverted to III via FracTool), but I had a couple good ones in the slots......

sounds and looks ok to me, I was able to push the AMP LEVEL up to 0db with no problem, suggest you try the same. FYI, this preset did point to user cabs not factory (coverted to III via FracTool), but I had a couple good ones in the slots......
Well, as I said in previous reply, turning up the volume anywhere in signal chain will just cause that friedman asm will be clipping, that´s what I don´t want. I want to be louder without clipping. So now I see only 2 ways..either buy a second friedman or sell my friedman and ax8 and use real tube amp with fx8...but I don´t want to do the second option as I love how my asm with ax8 sounds !
I forgot to mention that I´m not using the asm-12 as a wedge, but rather on top of 4x12 cab, about 2m (6ft) away from me as a backline.

Last edited:
I'd recommend getting a better monitor or IEMs over flipping the AX8. If you can't hear it then the monitor you're using doesn't have enough headroom and power for your needs. Get something that does and keep the AX8. Everyone is spot on with the use of a better monitor. From the Alto, Yamaha or CLR and Xitone there are a ton of affordable options that you could turn the cash from the Friedman into as your monitor.

I'd recommend getting a better monitor or IEMs over flipping the AX8. If you can't hear it then the monitor you're using doesn't have enough headroom and power for your needs. Get something that does and keep the AX8. Everyone is spot on with the use of a better monitor. From the Alto, Yamaha or CLR and Xitone there are a ton of affordable options that you could turn the cash from the Friedman into as your monitor.
Actually, IEMs are not really an option, cause my bandmates always tells me to crank my sound a bit more. So yes, maybe buy a monitor with better headroom, but I really do not like the sound of Alto, Yamaha even CLR.. The only one I like is Xitone, but there is always something missing when comparing to asm. I think I am so used to that big, heavy sound of friedman :/
Can anyone compare the output of asm vs xitone ? how much louder is xitone ? I need maybe 3-6db more than I have at moment.

IEMs allow you to be as loud as you want in your own ears and you can have the sound guy push you up in their monitors to accommodate the need for more volume from you. Good drivers will provide the chunk and impression that you're moving air like a 4/12. Likewise you can EQ the AX8 to give you that through your monitors regardless of who makes it.

Hi guys,

The problem is output of asm-12.

My Friedman asm output knob is set at 6, ax8 out1 knob fully open, VU meter shows around 0db, when palm muting it can get around +3db.
It is right at the treshold, any db added and my friedman is going to clip, not clip just once in a while, but maybe every 2-3 seconds while playing.

... will just cause that friedman asm will be clipping, that´s what I don´t want. I want to be louder without clipping...

Is that clipping light looking at input clipping or output clipping? Try to turn your AX-8's output down, and then turn the ASM up.

Is that clipping light looking at input clipping or output clipping? Try to turn your AX-8's output down, and then turn the ASM up.
It is clipping on friedman asm.12. I did that...when I turn ax8 output down and ASM up, I will get the same volume when measuring with db meter. But I need to be louder, right ? So I will turn ASM up and then it goes to clip, it´s the same thing basically, because my ax8 output was not clipping before.

Back
Top Bottom