What I don't miss about tube amps....

Mark Scrivener

Inspired
I was teaching at another studio today, so I didn't have my AX8 and was using a friends tube amp. The tubes were about shot and the amp was anything but quiet. Reminded me how I used to constantly replace tubes and deal with hiss, crackles, and various noises in my vintage tube amps. I still have them, but seldom turn them on. And the ritual of subtracting hum from the guitar tracks after recording, yeah, I don't miss that either.

Thank you Fractal!!!!!

I can get awesome tones at any volume whether that be through headphones or a PA or through a cab and not get the cops called on me.

Also it’s really fun to show to my other guitar player friends. Recently one friend wanted to mess with a Fender sound with tremolo and the other wanted to check out the Splawns and the Uberschall. No problem!

Honestly, I can’t even count the reasons I’d take a FAS product over anything else!

Last edited:
I don't miss the weight, the sonic limitations, the maintenance, the price.

I just miss the easy it is dialing an amp, but, hey, we have the amp's controls on top of the AX8, so I don't really miss it.

Business idea for you Cliff : add tube degradation modeling and then sell an annual subscription to keep all the amps in working order ;)

LoL. But in all seriousness, the ability to dial in "aged" tubes might be interesting. Kinda like the tape age knob on the Strymon El Cap.

Along with what was posted above I will add the consistent sound/tone from the AX8 is what I don't miss from my previous tube amps. Played a gig yesterday with a provided backline of a JCM 2000 TSL 100 and JCM 800. Of course I used the AX8 with monitor feed. Had a few head scratches until I started playing.

Back
Top Bottom