Communication drop outs

fret

Experienced
AxeEdit: v3.14.3
USB Drivers: 2014.06.06 (latest?)
Windows 7 (fully updated, relatively new install)
Axefx2: Quantum v10.01 (May 11 2018)

So after about 2-15 minutes AxeEdit has a communication timeout and hangs. Restarting AxeEdit doesn't fix the issue. I have to save my patch and power cycle the Axefx2 itself. USB audio output from the computer still works fine. Just MIDI-over-usb is broken. Tried different ports and cables, all the same result.

It's getting to the point now that this is really in the way of me developing patches. Constantly rebooting things to get them working for another 5 minutes.

Is this a firmware bug or an AxeEdit bug?

Any ideas on fixing it?

This has been the case for me and many other users for a long time. Just search the forums.

I have given up on FAS to fix it, they simply don’t care.

Yup, still getting on my FX2, changed computers, cables, OS, still happens when audio is playing through the Axe on USB. As stated above, unlikely to be fixed, it's been a long time now.

Happens to me all of the time when trying to Tone Match via USB. Extremely frustrating!!! Didn't used to be the case?

I think that Fractal was not able to recreate this on their end? It happens every time here?.... Axe-Fx II / Mark 1, Windows 10 Pro.

Ok since Fractal have abandoned us with broken fireware, I'll step back through the versions till I find one that works and then publish that here so at least we know where it broke and can choose a working firmware version.

I finally gave up and bought a dedicated audio interface (focusrite scarlett 6i6). I connect the Axe-FX2 using S/PDIF and the USB is only used to control Axe-Edit. I haven't had a single communications timeout since.

It's really a shame that they left the product into this broken state.

I finally gave up and bought a dedicated audio interface (focusrite scarlett 6i6). I connect the Axe-FX2 using S/PDIF and the USB is only used to control Axe-Edit. I haven't had a single communications timeout since.

That's great to hear! I'm almost despairing on what to do. At least I have an option to try and work around the issue.

It's really a shame that they left the product into this broken state.

Absolutely. I can't (won't?) buy an Axefx3 knowing this is how they treat big bugs... what if I get stuck with a lemon as the 3 gets phased out?

I ran through an analog interface pretty much half the day and I can confirm no timeouts. Seems to only timeout when using the Axefx2 as the interface for audio as well.

I never had an issue with this, but since installing Ares 1.0 on my Axe-Fx II, it's happened about 5 times. I have to turn off the Axe-Fx, then back on again. Restarting Axe-Edit on it's own doesn't clear the issue.

upload_2019-3-6_10-0-6.png

Last edited:
So, after buying and hooking up my new synth (also uses midi over usb) the axe-edit software freezes with the "please wait..." message. Only help is to reboot the fractal, but then after 5-10 mins it's the same thing over again.

C'mon, it's a 2k$ peace of gear, FIX IT!

Back
Top Bottom