Expression Pedal - Decrease Gain, While Increasing Volume

ThrillGrill

Friends,

I have an expression pedal set up to control amp gain. When I roll the pedal back to decrease gain, obviously I am losing volume. Is it possible to set up the controller to increase volume slightly as I decrease gain?

Thanks!

Friends,

I have an expression pedal set up to control amp gain. When I roll the pedal back to decrease gain, obviously I am losing volume. Is it possible to set up the controller to increase volume slightly as I decrease gain?

Thanks!

Connect the same external controller to the amp level modifier and adjust the modifier curve appropriately.

By amp level modifier do you mean input drive?

Could you please elaborate on how to adjust the modifier curve in my scenerio? Thank you!

No, I was talking about the level dial in the amps master section on the right hand side. In order to compensate the volume loss for low gain settings the level needs to be increased and decreased as the gain is decreased. This requires the start value to be higher than the end value. Set the start value to the level you need for low gain and the end value to the level you need for high gain. As the amps volume increase caused by gain increase is most likely not directly proportional you might need to tweak the amp level modifier curves middle value correspondingly. Use your ears to verify the result.

This isn't hard to do at all - attach the same pedal modifier to both controls, but invert the minimum and maximum. So one goes 0-100 and one 100-0 then as one increases the other decreases.

You can then play with the range to alter the impact

This isn't hard to do at all - attach the same pedal modifier to both controls, but invert the minimum and maximum. So one goes 0-100 and one 100-0 then as one increases the other decreases.

You can then play with the range to alter the impact

to add to this, play with the shape of the curves too
because as the dirty amp cleans it'll spill off volume but as you increase the volume there is a risk with many amp types that that around the mid-point in the throw of the XP that there will be a sort of spike in the volume
so what you may want to play with is the shape of the curve that makes the volume louder
look at making that curve not increasing the level initially, then growing slowly until the mid-point, and the growing more quickly in the final 1/2 to 1/3 of the curve
experiment with the mid, slope and scale parameters

I use a shaped curve to control the rate of gain reduction in the amp block so from heel to toe, the growth in gain is initially slow [so I have more detailed control in the clean and mid-gain ranges so that it's this area where I have greatest control.. then mid to high gain rushes in around the final 1/3 of the curve.. this ensures that tone wise I get the right performance experience
then, I fix the volume after such that I do get a volume drop as the amp cleans but it's far less strong as it'd happen naturally

Reactions: Rex
Check out this preset I made. I do as described here but instead of an expression pedal it's sent to Control Switch 1, but it should function the same way. I like it to be able to roll back the volume from high gain down to sparkly cleans without having switch amp channels.
In the preset CS1 will lower the gain, while increasing the amp volume, and toggling on a chorus block.
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/slash-“appetite-for-destruction”.139683/

Back
Top Bottom