Bulls on parade
Somewhere I Belong
An evening with El Diablo
Reeling in the years
We are the champions
Layla
Ramble on
La villa strangiato

Some interesting choices. And all of them obtainable with an Axe-Fx!

Why not? It's a nice clean sound. Personally I prefer the Californication sound, but I reckon Under the Bridge is the most famous and iconic Pepper song

No argument with any of that and I guess I can immediately reference that lightly finger picked, single coil intro. Maybe it is iconic... but it’s not “that” iconic.

Without giving it much thought, I would vote for “Still Got The Blues”, Gary Moore. That seems more iconic.

No argument with any of that and I guess I can immediately reference that lightly finger picked, single coil intro. Maybe it is iconic... but it’s not “that” iconic.

Without giving it much thought, I would vote for “Still Got The Blues”, Gary Moore. That seems more iconic.

Yes! My favorite part of that song is when he switches to the bridge pickup for the second part of the solo.

Well, I agree with 1/2 of that list. Given all the possible differences in musical experiences, I'd say that's actually pretty good.

Agreed. He mixed in some obvious ones like Eruption with some not so obvious.

It’s all subjective but I’d have to have Back in Black, Heartbreaker and Couldn’t Stand the Weather on there. I didn’t think Ramble On was a bad choice but I did find it odd that he chose the first lead sound as opposed to the crunch sound on the chorus. Now that I say that it makes me think about a top 20 list just of Jimmy Page tones.

The other thing the list made me think is how much a killer guitar tone is contextual to the arrangement. A lot of what made Lifeson’s tones sound so great was the combination of him and Geddy Lee’s bass tone.

Agreed. He mixed in some obvious ones like Eruption with some not so obvious.

It’s all subjective but I’d have to have Back in Black, Heartbreaker and Couldn’t Stand the Weather on there. I didn’t think Ramble On was a bad choice but I did find it odd that he chose the first lead sound as opposed to the crunch sound on the chorus. Now that I say that it makes me think about a top 20 list just of Jimmy Page tones.

The other thing the list made me think is how much a killer guitar tone is contextual to the arrangement. A lot of what made Lifeson’s tones sound so great was the combination of him and Geddy Lee’s bass tone.

In the end all lists are subjective and basically boils down to personal preferences. Including our own as we outrage about 'I can't believe X did not make the list! This is an outrage!' Making these lists and subsequently bashing them are forever linked activities. You can't have a list without bashing and you can't bash without a list.

Surprised he didn’t more obvious choices. I’ve been watching his YouTube videos lately. Pretty good stuff.

I just stumbled across that video yesterday... And watched the related videos for bass and drums. They were all interesting.

Lists are always interesting. We all love to discuss them.

The only thing I appreciate about this is that it doesn't say anything like 'Best Tone' or some such. Just iconic. Identifying. Especially that it refers to something non-musicians can agree on.

Might have liked to see a 'Kiss' in there, or 'Styx' with the iconic 'Come Sail Away' break, 'All right now' is also in that category. I can actually come up with a million.

Back
Top Bottom