Screeching noise even with gates?

Sorry to bump an old friend, but I did finally end up moving. My roommate has 2 guitars that he let me try. Still noise. The biggest problem here is that things like a wah are completely off the table. It seems with any semblence of gain it just starts to screech, and i have to put so much gate that it starts cutting my signal. I sent my AXE FX in and they said it was totally fine. So now I really don't know what to do or what the deal is. Maybe it's my signal chain.

How close are you to the unit when playing?

If you are standing 15 or 20 feet away from the Axe-FXII and your pickups are not facing either the Axe-FXII or the speakers or computer monitor, do you still hear the noise?

The only time I ever had a similar issue with screeching was when I had a guitar with really hot pickups, and the 5150 block amp set with MV, pre, and BMT all at maximum, and my monitoring levels in the room stupidly high with that much stupid gain on tap (92 db @ 1 m A weighted).

Playing with normal monitoring levels, through headphones, at a 15 to 20 ft distance not facing the Axe-FXII solved my issue.

By normal monitoring levels, I define that as able to hear myself talking using my normal speaking voice volume while the music is playing.

How close are you to the unit when playing?

If you are standing 15 or 20 feet away from the Axe-FXII and your pickups are not facing either the Axe-FXII or the speakers or computer monitor, do you still hear the noise?

The only time I ever had a similar issue with screeching was when I had a guitar with really hot pickups, and the 5150 block amp set with MV, pre, and BMT all at maximum, and my monitoring levels in the room stupidly high with that much stupid gain on tap (92 db @ 1 m A weighted).

Playing with normal monitoring levels, through headphones, at a 15 to 20 ft distance not facing the Axe-FXII solved my issue.

By normal monitoring levels, I define that as able to hear myself talking using my normal speaking voice volume while the music is playing.

Even doing this there's a little bit of noise all the time. The gate will get it but when I actually play it kind of hisses through all the time. I still can't add Wah to it. If it's not the unit and it's not my guitars... well, I'm running out of ideas.

Did u post that preset so some of the highly experienced axe guys here can inspect it for flaws? Otherwise it's a guessing game.

Even doing this there's a little bit of noise all the time. The gate will get it but when I actually play it kind of hisses through all the time. I still can't add Wah to it. If it's not the unit and it's not my guitars... well, I'm running out of ideas.
Without a preset posted, then we can't diagnose if the issue is environmental or structure wiring related.

If the other forum users don't get the screeching noise with your preset using our setups, then it is either bad cables somewhere in your signal and monitoring chsin, structure wiring or lighting issues, microphonic pickups, noisy computer or computer monitor emi/rfi, interaction between unshielded audio monitoring and your other components, or a host of other issues.

Even if you post the preset to Axe Change and post the link in this thread, that will help us help you. By figuring out what is common in our setups, but why we don't get the screeching, will help you solve the issue.

That's okay, I'll put what I use again. I'll even include some others. Hayden Lead 2 actually has noise when my guitar isn't even plugged in. The other 2 don't, though.

Attachments

• Djent TEst.syx
    12.6 KB · Views: 2
  • Hayden Lead 1.syx
    12.6 KB · Views: 1
  • Hayden Lead 2.syx
    12.6 KB · Views: 3
Hey, i am also experiencing a similar issue with an axe fx 2 XL+ (noise from the fractal directly in the earphones).

As soon as i will be back home, in a few hours, i will try to load your presets in my unit e will tell you how they sound.

That's okay, I'll put what I use again. I'll even include some others. Hayden Lead 2 actually has noise when my guitar isn't even plugged in. The other 2 don't, though.

Hi there, yesterday i tried your presets in my axe fx 2xl+ , only guitar ( HAMER STUDIO USA with SD JB / 59) >> axe fx >> earphones.
Non particular issues found. No screeches. In fact i think they sound pretty great!
With the noise gate on, the presets are super quiet, with or without the guitar cable plugged in.
One of the presets (i think is the hayden 2) is clipping a little bit in the output stage, you should lower the amp volume a little bit.

What i am able to hear is the background hiss/noise of the axe fx when an open note is decaying.
But from what i read, this is normal with the axe fx.
I would appreciate if you could check my post in this forum section and try out my presets as well as shown in the youtube video i posted.
ciao

i just bought my ax8 new yesterday (but i seem to have your same problem). I've noticed that every single preset i play it has a strange crackling noise when i let a note rings out or when i touch the strings. It seems like the noise gate (which is set at default value of -0.80) kicks in all the time (clean or overdriven sounds it's the same). This thing stops only if i set the input noise gate to off, but then, strangely it seems like i've no sustain on the high gain sounds. It's a very strange behavior. I tried with different guitars, different environments and cables, but nothing changes. I'm on the latest firmware (10.1).

Hi there, yesterday i tried your presets in my axe fx 2xl+ , only guitar ( HAMER STUDIO USA with SD JB / 59) >> axe fx >> earphones.
Non particular issues found. No screeches. In fact i think they sound pretty great!
With the noise gate on, the presets are super quiet, with or without the guitar cable plugged in.
One of the presets (i think is the hayden 2) is clipping a little bit in the output stage, you should lower the amp volume a little bit.

What i am able to hear is the background hiss/noise of the axe fx when an open note is decaying.
But from what i read, this is normal with the axe fx.
I would appreciate if you could check my post in this forum section and try out my presets as well as shown in the youtube video i posted.
ciao

Thanks a lot for your input. If it's not too much to ask, can you do me a favor and actually record yourself playing it, with the noise gate on and off? For me, the presets are loud enough for sure it seems, but the big thing is that without the noise gate it just goes absolutely crazy. I had it with the other guitars too. I'm not sure what exactly to do about this. But I just want to make sure I'm not crazy. When I get home later tonight I can try your presets out as well. I think you forgot to post them though, so reply back with them and I'll try them out.

there you go:

sorry for the sloppy playing, i did it ultraquickly before going to work at 8 am

Thanks a lot for your input. If it's not too much to ask, can you do me a favor and actually record yourself playing it, with the noise gate on and off? For me, the presets are loud enough for sure it seems, but the big thing is that without the noise gate it just goes absolutely crazy. I had it with the other guitars too. I'm not sure what exactly to do about this. But I just want to make sure I'm not crazy. When I get home later tonight I can try your presets out as well. I think you forgot to post them though, so reply back with them and I'll try them out.

I suggest you to check this video which i found very useful.

I think your presets have tons of gain...maybe a little too much? try to lower some of the gain and follow the other useful suggestions provided by leon todd. I am in a similar situation and finding his tutorials super useful and helpful.

Last edited:
there you go:

sorry for the sloppy playing, i did it ultraquickly before going to work at 8 am

I suggest you to check this video which i found very useful.

I think your presets have tons of gain...maybe a little too much? try to lower some of the gain and follow the other useful suggestions provided by leon todd. I am in a similar situation and finding his tutorials super useful and helpful.

Thanks, the video is actually pretty helpful. However my tone doesn't seem to sound very "full" without a lot of that gain. But I'll try my best to produce a new recording. I switched to the input on the back of my axe-fx and it seems I have a little less noise. No outright screech, but still extreme amounts of noise without a gate. The cuts on the cab block helped a little bit to clean it up I assume.

Your guitar actually seems to sound a lot better to me than my own does with these tones, it sounds a bit cleaner, and it seems to be nicer about chugging and such. Mine seem very noisy all the time and I can't really seem to stop it while playing at all. The only way I can stop it is by muting the strings with both hands and doing nothing with a gate on.

As for you, I'm stilling willing to try your tones if you end up attaching them, fair is fair.

Back
Top Bottom