So, the Dumble thing...

Axe-Master
I've been trying to get down with the Dumble thing for a while and haven't had a lot of success. The ODS Clean model with the master on 10, guitar volume backed off and input drive set on the edge of breakup has totally blown my mind though. This vid goes into depth with what i've been doing with it, as well as how to get your guitar and the amp model working together for maximum versatility.

I dig it, Leon! I've wanted to dig into the Dumbles for a while. I'm very much into riding my volume knob (and/or foot pedal) to clean up my sound or add a little more grit so I really love the range of tones that you get that in that video. Inspiring as always!

Side note: My dog is named Aja. It's VERY rare that anyone understands the reference. :) That album is one of my all-time favorites.

Interesting. I never would have thought to try this model this way. I’ve built a couple of Dumble style amps, and what I know about them indicates that the idea is to derive any distortion from the preamp tubes, and run the power section as clean as possible. If the model is accurate, I’d guess any overdrive you’re getting is from the power tubes. So technically it’s not Dumbling correctly. ;) The crystal lattice of the preamp tubes is not resonating to the proximal celestial tone.

But whatever works, right?

it works GREAT!
and when pushed by a Tumnus klone, comes as close as ive achieved to those mythical Robbenesque flipping blooze tones!
@2112 , youve done it again!
Interesting. I never would have thought to try this model this way. I’ve built a couple of Dumble style amps, and what I know about them indicates that the idea is to derive any distortion from the preamp tubes, and run the power section as clean as possible. If the model is accurate, I’d guess any overdrive you’re getting is from the power tubes. So technically it’s not Dumbling correctly. ;) The crystal lattice of the preamp tubes is not resonating to the proximal celestial tone.

But whatever works, right?

Dumble clean pushed with a drive has been a staple for me for a while but I’ve never done the Master on 10 thing.
Definitely something to try when back from vacation! Thanks for the post and the great vid!

Holy crap! Please post the patch!!! I have a '61 335 and these are the sounds I've been looking for! Thanks.

Holy crap! Please post the patch!!! I have a '61 335 and these are the sounds I've been looking for! Thanks.
I believe this was mostly just a stock ODS-100 clean with master volume on 10. Type "bludo" for some great dumble-style cabs. There's plenty to choose from. G12-65H's sound amazing – also with strat!

Anyway, thanks for sharing this! Made my daily practice session even more fun. I've played one show with a Dumble model, but it was years ago and I haven't played much with the models ever since.

Here's what I used for the cab:
774 — 2x12 Bludo H65 57 B Off-Axis (-10 dB volume)
777 — 2x12 Bludo H65 87 Room
783 — 2x12 Bludo H65 160 A
787 — 2x12 Bludo H65 421 A (-3 dB volume)

EDIT: Actually I'm also up for the patch just to see what was used as the cab combination :D

Nice!

Now I want to go crank the MV on that thing :)

Nice work on hacking the EJ licks... While you were obviously not practiced, you carried the ideas and the tone nicely. ;)

You might want to check out the Bludojai models. In think the Lead 2 would get you close to this tone pretty nicely.

Nice!

Now I want to go crank the MV on that thing :)

Nice work on hacking the EJ licks... While you were obviously not practiced, you carried the ideas and the tone nicely. ;)

You might want to check out the Bludojai models. In think the Lead 2 would get you close to this tone pretty nicely.
If you drive the front end of the Bludo Clean amp with the FET Boost or Preamp or a Filter Block or the Boost Switch on the Amp or a combination of those it’ll dial in beautifully as well. Use your guitar volume to go from clean to mean. I lower the Input Trim too a lot of times just so I can use more input Boost(s) to shape the tone going in a little more with the different boosts; FET/Filter/Amp.

If you drive the front end of the Bludo Clean amp with the FET Boost or Preamp or a Filter Block or the Boost Switch on the Amp or a combination of those it’ll dial in beautifully as well. Use your guitar volume to go from clean to mean. I lower the Input Trim too a lot of times just so I can use more input Boost(s) to shape the tone going in a little more with the different boosts; FET/Filter/Amp.
Cool. I've got a Bludo clean preset that I like a lot... But it's more of clean or lead (with a boost) but not so much in the middle.

I might try cranking the MV on that one, too ;)

I seriously think you know what you do, and you know what you talk about and your posts help alot of folks on the forum....but i don't think this is a good representation of the dumble tone. Don't get me wrong,
since you can play anything can sound good under your fingers...but this is maybe 60% of the dumble.

Many amps get anemic when you roll down the volume.(hense gurus like Tim Pierce suggest using a volume pedal instead of volume pot on guitar). In my experience Trainwrecks are an
exception, they almost react the same way when you roll the guitar volume down or turn down the gain/input. I think thats what makes them shine.

I am not sure if this is the strength of dumble...or the strength of the clean channel.

note: i listen your posts in a professional studio environment through really good speakers, not on a mobile phone or computer speaker.

note 2: i almost feel bad about writing this cause the work you do, your honesty, musicianship deserves appreciation/praise/respect (what ever the right way is in English:)

Last edited:
Why does everyone forget that Walter Becker was the principle guitar player in Steely Dan?
Yeah well, there’s a reason Carlton and Graydon and on some live shows Drew Zingg, Wayne Krantz were the lead spotlight soloists. Becker was good (bass player too) but he also knew when to step back and find the better players to fit the right song. Becker never did it for me as a guitar player, not in comparison with those other guys I mentioned. Not a big Jeff Baxter fan but I’m a pretty big Dan fan.

Mr. Carlton played a dumble live, but he had a fender tweed amp that he used on steely dan records. Now wouldn’t that be a great amp for Mr. Chase to get a hold of and model?

Back
Top Bottom