Wish PEQ - Auto Solo/Listen Feature

What means "auto"?
Perhaps a bandpass type deal when moving around the frequency and Q to hunt for those harsh or muddy frequencies? I'd have an optional solo band auto engage button so that it solos that particular band when sweeping across the frequency or changing the Q value.

I imagine he means something like the mute feature on the MBC, but where you solo a Chanel instead of muting all the others

Here's a clip using bx-digital "auto listen" feature to illustrate what I mean. At the very least being able to solo a given PEQ band (as in the MBC) would be handy.

Here's a clip using bx-digital "auto listen" feature to illustrate what I mean. At the very least being able to solo a given PEQ band (as in the MBC) would be handy.

I have no idea what's happening here. I hear some static or something at one point but then silence later. Puzzled.

I have no idea what's happening here. I hear some static or something at one point but then silence later. Puzzled.
It sounds like a severely narrow bandpass filter being swept across the spectrum. I've heard that sound before with shortwave radio, when you apply a ridiculously narrow filter (like you'd use for Morse Code reception) to a voice- modulated SSB signal. It's no longer recognizable as voice.

That's a much clearer demonstration of what's going on. I just tried using the bandpass setting in the filter block with a high Q and the block level turned up and it works great. I can then pop those values into the PEQ so make some cuts with a high Q there. Furthermore, I can use the RTA on the hardware display to look out for amplitude peaks while I'm sweeping to really hone in on the cuts.

In that case I'll revise my request - add a bandpass option to the PEQ or a solo option per band (like the MBC). As always thanks for everything you do Cliff, I watched the video I posted while writing this and and thought to myself "I can understand if people think i've gone off the deep end" :p

Last edited:
That's a much clearer demonstration of what's going on. I just tried using the bandpass setting in the filter block with a high Q and the block level turned up and it works great. I can then pop those values into the PEQ so make some cuts with a high Q there. Furthermore, I can use the RTA on the hardware display to look out for amplitude peaks while I'm sweeping to really hone in on the cuts.

In that case I'll revise my request - add a bandpass option to the PEQ to save swapping between the filter and PEQ block when sweeping frequencies. As always thanks for everything you do Cliff, I watched the video I posted while writing this and and thought to myself "I can understand if people think i've gone off the deep end" :p

At first I was confused too but I think I get whatcha mean dude ! Simply said when adjusting a certain frequency band the rest of the bands are muted and only the band being adjusted is heard i.e something like Fabfilter Pro Q's headphone button thingy I assume? (but it's just on automatically when adjusting ? ) (Not associated with FabFilter but a simple reference just incase you used it before )

At first I was confused too but I think I get whatcha mean dude ! Simply said when adjusting a certain frequency band the rest of the bands are muted and only the band being adjusted is heard i.e something like Fabfilter Pro Q's headphone button thingy I assume? (but it's just on automatically when adjusting ? ) (Not associated with FabFilter but a simple reference just incase you used it before )

Yep, the Fabfilter plugin is a great reference point!

In that case I'll revise my request - add a bandpass option to the PEQ or a solo option per band (like the MBC). As always thanks for everything you do Cliff, I watched the video I posted while writing this and and thought to myself "I can understand if people think i've gone off the deep end" :p
I prefer your original wish. Have an option that, while the frequency parameter for a band is being adjusted, filters the audio through a narrow band pass filter whose center frequency corresponds to the position of the frequency parameter. Once the parameter is no longer being adjusted, normal operation resumes. I use the bx plugin, and this function makes isolating frequencies of interest much easier.

I prefer your original wish. Have an option that, while the frequency parameter for a band is being adjusted, filters the audio through a narrow band pass filter whose center frequency corresponds to the position of the frequency parameter. Once the parameter is no longer being adjusted, normal operation resumes. I use the bx plugin, and this function makes isolating frequencies of interest much easier.

Well now that you put it like that... :D

Actually to add on it would be nice to have a seperate button in PEQ to turn off and on that "auto listening mode" too cause it might get cumbersome in some cases right?

Actually to add on it would be nice to have a seperate button in PEQ to turn off and on that "auto listening mode" too cause it might get cumbersome in some cases right?
Hence the word "option", just as it is in the bx plugin. A checkbox or button turns it on and off.

Back
Top Bottom