Gig Vlog with the AX8

Axe-Master
Had the pleasure of opening up for Living Colour last night; top notch band and an incredible bunch of guys. Vernon is easily one the sweetest people I've ever met and we got to nerd out together over his hamer and PRS guitars as well as his insane rig. He's running a Kemper, Helix, GT-1, 2xH9's, a Meris Reverb, Red Panda Tensor, an Eventide Rose (must be a prototype) and a whole bunch of controllers (as well as 2 Triple Rectifiers and a Twin).

Sitting my AX8 in front of it all made it look like a music shop (excuse the blurry pic)! We had very little time or space to setup so the FOH engineer was pretty stoked to just have to take a single XLR from me and turn it up; it's times like these I'm really grateful to have the AX8.
WhatsApp Image 2018-12-16 at 13.00.21.jpeg

Anyway, the gig went well (even though first band jumped all over our kit and busted some stuff), the reaction was super positive and the guitars sounded enormous in the room. It was a LOUD gig too as you can hear in the camera audio. A real privilege.

The preset is linked here if you guys want to try it out too :)
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/uberschall-preset-ir.145358/#post-1720934

Did Vernon have anything to say about the Fractals? Surely he’s considered it by now.
AFAIK he's been on board for a while now but seems to swap pieces of his rig in and out fairly regularly. We joked that he could run his rig through the AX8 fx loop and take it next level :D

Cool!

I've been a fan since the beginning. Vernon is a unique player and Corey Glover is IMO one of the best rock vocalists ever.

Looks like that was a lot of fun! And it must have been great meeting the cats from Living Colour. Awesome!

Your guitar sounds great...what I can hear of it...but there's so little of it in the mix! Do you know if it was it any better out front? It seemed like all bass and drums. I pretty much stopped going to shows at a number of local venues a number of years back because soundmen had gotten in the habit of mixing the bass so high it was making physically ill.

Looks like that was a lot of fun! And it must have been great meeting the cats from Living Colour. Awesome!

Your guitar sounds great...what I can hear of it...but there's so little of it in the mix! Do you know if it was it any better out front? It seemed like all bass and drums. I pretty much stopped going to shows at a number of local venues a number of years back because soundmen had gotten in the habit of mixing the bass so high it was making physically ill.

You're hearing the side fill through camera audio so it's not particularly good. Sounded fab out of my monitors.

Had the pleasure of opening up for Living Colour last night; top notch band and an incredible bunch of guys. Vernon is easily one the sweetest people I've ever met and we got to nerd out together over his hamer and PRS guitars as well as his insane rig. He's running a Kemper, Helix, GT-1, 2xH9's, a Meris Reverb, Red Panda Tensor, an Eventide Rose (must be a prototype) and a whole bunch of controllers (as well as 2 Triple Rectifiers and a Twin).

Sitting my AX8 in front of it all made it look like a music shop (excuse the blurry pic)! We had very little time or space to setup so the FOH engineer was pretty stoked to just have to take a single XLR from me and turn it up; it's times like these I'm really grateful to have the AX8.
View attachment 51268

Anyway, the gig went well (even though first band jumped all over our kit and busted some stuff), the reaction was super positive and the guitars sounded enormous in the room. It was a LOUD gig too as you can hear in the camera audio. A real privilege.

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/uberschall-preset-ir.145358/#post-1720934

Great Great !!!! thanks for sharing !!!!

Leon,

Did you get any video of Living Colour? I cant find anything from the Perth gig. Found some nice pics:

22_Ragdoll_Astor_151218_Adrian_Thomson.jpg

32_LivingColor_Astor_151218_Adrian_Thomson.jpg

@chrisjnyc I didn't unfortunately. They were in top form though!

We got a pretty sweet review from one of the local rock 'zines which actually mentioned the guitar tone (first time I've ever had that!) so the needless to say the AX8 is doing it's job :D

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-12-29 at 4.07.41 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2018-12-29 at 4.07.41 pm.png
    81.1 KB · Views: 18

View attachment 51268

Good on you guys! Shame that the crowd seems to be a bit stiff?

Good on you guys! Shame that the crowd seems to be a bit stiff?

Perth is notorious for it's audiences; even stadium shows most of the people sit down. We sold a whole bunch of merch that night and had some great reactions after the gig but it can be a real hard sell some nights.

Back
Top Bottom