Axe 2 Post 4.x FW Updates ..... any chance of a definite / formal announcment now ?

It's great to have the best modeler on the planet. It's also great to have updates. But, because updates stop and a new model comes out, the 'old' one is now obsolete? With some digital technology, maybe so. But because a new product is introduced doesn't mean the old one is bad, or obsolete IMO. It CAN be if something should happen that can't be repaired because the parts are no longer available.

I have an Ultra that I still use for rehearsals... bought it 10 years ago. It works great... and it even sounds just as good as it did in 2008... with the same battery. I bought the II XL+ last year. Now the III is out... I guess the II is obsolete now. Bummer.

Does a great vintage guitar, amp, or stomp box become obsolete, undesired or sounds bad because a new model came out? Or a vintage car? I understand we're talking digital here... but the Ultra, and the II still are great... unless you're convinced in your mind they're not because the new one is out.

I'll continue with what I have, because personally I'm very happy with it, and will continue with what I have until it truly breaks and can't be fixed... because it IS great. And personally, I rather play than chase my tone every time I pick up my guitar, thinking it has to be better. Yes, I do want great tone, and I have it... in an old digital 'obsolete' Fractal unit. Imagine that

Obsolete is not a bad word, and does not need to mean anything negative. It’s simply means something is no longer produced, possibly not able to be serviced, and/or not widely used.

A pedal that uses the old Reticon chip is obsolete as they don’t make those anymore and it would be difficult to repair. Doesn’t mean the old Electric Mistress sounds bad, still is a classic. But, not many people are using them due to rarity, inability to service etc, thus its obsolete.

Many people don’t want obsolete gear because it can be tougher to get serviced, find a spare for etc. If FAS sells out of II’s it might not be as simple for a touring act to call them up and ask for one to be overnighted. Current production III would likely be readily available, and that is important for some.

Doesn’t mean the old gear sounds bad

computers go obsolete because everybody's software has to talk to each other
This is the bottom line!
And what does "obsolete" even mean? Is it subjective? For me it is because I do NOT require anymore than what I am already getting from my machine! Some call this quality...others call it "mojo". My Fractal machine gives me all the mojo to please me and that's all that matters. If you're an update buff that wants all the latest and greatest Fractal has to offer like users sharing patches on axe change and new features, then yes one day it will be obsolete!
On that note, it's the same reason I kill auto updates on my iPhone and Mac after 2 or 3 new softwares are made available. It's because if u don't update the software, apps will still update and no longer work! This can only be done long enough until Apple updates the app and iTunes stores compatibility requirements and when your phone cannot "talk" to those ones...you've officially become obsolete and are forced to upgrade. Fractal however, is world class so there ya go! Lol

what is questionable obscurity? I'm a truck driver. and i didn't know there were thread etiquette rules for not commenting on old threads. I learn way more from the dead than i do from the living. :mask:
LOL there is no rule for bumping dead threads we just find it funny.

And what does "obsolete" even mean?

Turns out that most words have established definitions.

ob·so·lete
/ˌäbsəˈlēt/
adjective
  1. 1.
    no longer produced or used; out of date.
    "the disposal of old and obsolete machinery"
    synonyms: outdated, out of date, outmoded, old-fashioned, démodé, passé, out of fashion; More

2. 2.
    BIOLOGY
    (of a part or characteristic of an organism) less developed than formerly or in a related species; rudimentary; vestigial.
verb
US
  1. 1.
    cause (a product or idea) to be or become obsolete by replacing it with something new.
    "we're trying to stimulate the business by obsoleting last year's designs"

It's hard to imagine that if you plug an Axe FX II in a socket in let's say 10-15 years, that you wouldn't be able to use it any more. Even with no more FW updates. This product is a classic, there are so many of them around the globe. The only danger is that the sound card driver will not be compatible with the future DAWs any more. But there are many ways around it. FX II will certainly cost less but it surely won't be obsolete.

It's defined yet subjective. For some yes, others like you and me, no! Our machines please us greatly lol. Joe B's 1950 Fender tweed amp is obsolete to me lol

"Obsolete" would mean that the FX II would end up in a recycling can like an old PC. I'm sure this ain't gonna happen except in some extreme cases. FX III is a HW upgrade, not a paradigm shift. Such a product doesn't have a life cycle of a typical IT product. It's rather like an old amp or many of them actually.

What if the LCD screen or encoder knob ceases to function ? What if you plug into the Ethernet port instead of the UsB and fry the board ?

Will it be serviceable in 15 years? Will those parts exist ? Will it even be worth the cost of a repair ?

Old amps require upkeep. You typically can’t expect to take a 40 year old amp and have it still sound great without some service. Caps will have leaked, speaker cone may have become brittle etc. still can get parts and find folks who service them so easily to bring them back to working order, but they were also for a time when stuff was point wired, easier to work on, alternative parts exist etc

I’m sure there will still be some used in 15-20 years, but i bet a majority will be scrap. Not serviceable, not worth even trying

I mean come one, in 5-10 years think how cheap a III will be... might finally be time to upgrade for some folks lol

Obsolete is not a bad word, and does not need to mean anything negative. It’s simply means something is no longer produced, possibly not able to be serviced, and/or not widely used.

A pedal that uses the old Reticon chip is obsolete as they don’t make those anymore and it would be difficult to repair. Doesn’t mean the old Electric Mistress sounds bad, still is a classic. But, not many people are using them due to rarity, inability to service etc, thus its obsolete.

Many people don’t want obsolete gear because it can be tougher to get serviced, find a spare for etc. If FAS sells out of II’s it might not be as simple for a touring act to call them up and ask for one to be overnighted. Current production III would likely be readily available, and that is important for some.

Doesn’t mean the old gear sounds bad
I understand what you’re saying, and I don’t disagree. However... Although if it’s possible to have a new Fractal shipped the next day if you’re a touring musician, that wouldn’t help if it failed on the current gig. Only a backup on hand would on moment. I’m a working musician myself... so dependability and availability matters. So a supported modeler matters.

I’d be more than happy to have the III, but $$ prevents me from buying the lastest product available. Digital technology is forever changing, and over a short period of time something new comes out. For my purposes, the III is not necessary at this time... I don’t need all the extras. And unlike a PC, the Fractal doesn’t need to be replaced because it’ll no longer work unless it’s upgraded.

I can only hope that previous Fractal modelers will still be able to be serviced for some time (within reason) And sure, one more update would be great... for me, I’d be happy with the tri chorus.

Maybe in the future I’ll be able to get the III, but my Ultra and II xl+ offer me everything I need, and since they’re built so well, if taken care of, they will last for years.

What if the LCD screen or encoder knob ceases to function ? What if you plug into the Ethernet port instead of the UsB and fry the board ?

Will it be serviceable in 15 years? Will those parts exist ? Will it even be worth the cost of a repair ?

Old amps require upkeep. You typically can’t expect to take a 40 year old amp and have it still sound great without some service. Caps will have leaked, speaker cone may have become brittle etc. still can get parts and find folks who service them so easily to bring them back to working order, but they were also for a time when stuff was point wired, easier to work on, alternative parts exist etc

I’m sure there will still be some used in 15-20 years, but i bet a majority will be scrap. Not serviceable, not worth even trying

I mean come one, in 5-10 years think how cheap a III will be... might finally be time to upgrade for some folks lol

Why should I repair it? I'll buy another used one that's still working and use my presets again. :)

You're right, I'll probably have a III or a IV or something else but someone else in my family will have the pleasure to play with the II, if it's still working and the chances are not that bad.

Back
Top Bottom