FC-6 + FC-12 Manual

So with MLM switch combo enabled, the lower right footswitch's Tap function always fires on the up-stroke, yes?
Yes. So if you need the MLM combo, I wouldn’t put looper controls there, for example. If you need looper controls there, I would disable the MLM combo, using direct Layout access elsewhere.

You can basically do this. The trick is Layout Links.

Create a picker layout with the following:
  • 1 switch set to go to bank 10 (presets in the 100s)
  • 1 switch set to go to bank 40 (presets in the 400s)
  • 10 switches to go to preset in bank and then set Layout Link to change to your performance layout - if you had a reason to go to a different layout sometime you could configure hold functions to do the same as tap but have a different layout link.
  • You have two switches left to perhaps increment/decrement banks or ???

Anytime you want to enter this “mode”, configure a switch to load your picker layout.
Still not what he is asking for... There are options like what you or I suggested, but he wants the ability to key in a number at random.

I've had other midi controllers that support this option.

For example, say I want to change to preset # 419.

Press button to engage "direct access mode"

Press button 4

Press button 1

Press button 9

I personally never had a use for it, and I don't think it makes sense for live use... But I try not to judge other people's workflow ;)

I don't think this exists on the MFC. You might be thinking about "alternate preset"?

"Alternate Preset" is very easy to set up on the FC. Just set your global bank size to be one higher than the number of preset switches, then use the "Extra" preset in the bank as your alternate! Use "Toggle Preset in Bank" as follows in this example with a bank size of 4 (3+1). The numbers below show the two presets that the switches toggle between.

Switch 1: Toggle Preset in Bank 1/4
Switch 2: Toggle Preset in Bank 2/4
Switch 3: Toggle Preset in Bank 3/4

Page 13 in the manual says you can connect 4 FC's to use as one big FC.

I currently use a FAMC LF+ PRO+ and 12+, so I have 36 foot switches. 12 more would be even better!
Do you use this live? That would be about the size of one of Edge's pedal boards ;)

"Alternate Preset" is very easy to set up on the FC. Just set your global bank size to be one higher than the number of preset switches, then use the "Extra" preset in the bank as your alternate! Use "Toggle Preset in Bank" as follows in this example with a bank size of 4 (3+1). The numbers below show the two presets that the switches toggle between.

Switch 1: Toggle Preset in Bank 1/4
Switch 2: Toggle Preset in Bank 2/4
Switch 3: Toggle Preset in Bank 3/4
But the OP was asking about "toggle to last scene"... Which I don't believe exists in the MFC or FCs.

You can basically do this. The trick is Layout Links.

Create a picker layout with the following:
  • 1 switch set to go to bank 10 (presets in the 100s)
  • 1 switch set to go to bank 40 (presets in the 400s)
  • 10 switches to go to preset in bank and then set Layout Link to change to your performance layout - if you had a reason to go to a different layout sometime you could configure hold functions to do the same as tap but have a different layout link.
  • You have two switches left to perhaps increment/decrement banks or ???

Anytime you want to enter this “mode”, configure a switch to load your picker layout.

For that specific layout it works, but if I want to go to, say preset 272, it's nice and intuitive to just tap a button and tap in 2 7 2. It not a must-have or anything, but it's nice and a logical add IMO. Other than the fact that, like I said it doesn't make sense on the FC6. But IMO that's just a sacrifice you make for the smaller form factor.

For that specific layout it works, but if I want to go to, say preset 272, it's nice and intuitive to just tap a button and tap in 2 7 2. It not a must-have or anything, but it's nice and a logical add IMO. Other than the fact that, like I said it doesn't make sense on the FC6. But IMO that's just a sacrifice you make for the smaller form factor.

Gotcha. You could also do something like this:
10 switches for preset in bank w/hold functions on them to go to bank 0, 10, 20, 30, 40, 50
2 switches for bank +/- 1 (maybe have hold funtions to +/- 5 banks?)

Personally, I would never use what you're describing since I only use a few presets to begin with. So with an FC12 I'd just need one bank.

Also, implementing this would introduce something that the FC controllers do not have at this point - modal "function" layouts. It's been brought up for other things though - select channel is another example where this sort of modal interaction would be cool.

Great work Matt - I got a few good chuckles in there, especially the "Dinotube" and "Archaea-Tone" diagram, as well as a cheeky tip of the hat to @ZenRigs Man.

View attachment 51369

Lol! Thanks Fractal folk - I appreciate the nod.

Oh, and by the way, @Admin M@, @FractalAudio, if you don’t understand why someone would want to label a foot switch ‘kebab’, then there’s no point me explaining it to you :)

Love, Sukh

P.s. - little bit of a fun fact for you, I got a ‘kebab’ label on Steve Vai’s MFC - at the insistence of Thomas
Nordegg! Still makes me chuckle :)

Also, implementing this would introduce something that the FC controllers do not have at this point - modal "function" layouts. It's been brought up for other things though - select channel is another example where this sort of modal interaction would be cool.

Yes, that would also be a cool function, in theory. But I don't know how you would specify what you wanted to switch the channel on, so I think that would lead to alot of unnecessary tapping. For example if you wanted to Change Drive 1 from Channel A to Channel C, you would have to press something to specify you wanted to change channel, press something to specify what block you wanted to change channel on, and then press something to specify the channel. And I don't believe channel names are displayed, so would have to remember what Channel C was in the first place. I'll probably just use a hold function to increment the channel for that. Not quite the same thing, but more usable for me.

Last edited:
Do you use this live? That would be about the size of one of Edge's pedal boards ;)

Live I only use 12 foot switches which is more than enough because I use song mode. Here's an example of how I use song mode: https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/fc-6-fc-12-manual.145703/page-4#post-1722970

I use 36 foot switches when I'm writing or jamming. I like having as many options to my disposal when writing because it helps inspire me. I hate having to do any editing in the middle of an idea because it breaks my train of thought.

Live I only use 12 foot switches which is more than enough because I use song mode. Here's an example of how I use song mode: https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/fc-6-fc-12-manual.145703/page-4#post-1722970

I use 36 foot switches when I'm writing or jamming. I like having as many options to my disposal when writing because it helps inspire me. I hate having to do any editing in the middle of an idea because it breaks my train of thought.
Makes sense...

Sounds positively luxurious.

Yes, that would also be a cool function, in theory. But I don't know how you would specify what you wanted to switch the channel on, so I think that would lead to alot of unnecessary tapping. For example if you wanted to Change Drive 1 from Channel A to Channel C, you would have to press something to specify you wanted to change channel, press something to specify what block you wanted to change channel on, and then press something to specify the channel. And I don't believe channel names are displayed, so would have to remember what Channel C was in the first place. I'll probably just use a hold function to increment the channel for that. Not quite the same thing, but more usable for me.

You’re envisioning it the worst possible way. The idea that had been put forth was that you have an effect switch that could invoke an intrinsic layout for picking channels. So two taps to switch channels. That’s better than multiple “Holds” to cycle through and it would be easier to time and there’d be no extraneous channel changes.

I was hoping there would be more unique control features such as Amp Level increment/decrement, but for other parameters too. This would be such a handy feature for gain control or delay mix.

Well I know it has just been launched, and I know it will get improved over time, so I apologize if this is too early to exposes these ideas here, but having read the manual twice and trying to imagine my ultimate setup, I can't help to have a few wishes :rolleyes::

- Would be great to have more Control Switches, 24 instead of 6 would be awesome.

- Ability to apply a precise value in % with the control switches, to have different switches send different values of one and unique modifier. IE you could set 3 switches with 3 different values of a delay mix for example. Switch 1 : Control switch 1 (CS1) : 20%, switch 2 : CS1 30%, switch 3 : CS1 40%

- I feel the 4 extra switches have limited power compared to all the FC native switches. I wish they would just be like switches 13 to 16 on the FC-12 with the ability to assign them any functions just like a normal switch from the FC (without display and ring).

- Dual functions switches. IE : setup a switch so that it do two functions on a tap :
Select a scene + start looper record at the same time
Bypass 2 effects at the same time
Change channel on one block + send a midi command with a control switch
etc...

I really want to switch from my LF+12+ to the FC for ease of use, integration, single XLR cable and fractal style, but I can't deny (yet) that a few important things for me I do with the LF are not doable with the FC (yet).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom