Fractal Audio AMP models: Hipower (Hiwatt DR103)

You could also try entering the cab serial number in this form if Fane isn't able to provide the info:
https://hiwatt.org/registry.html

What's the power rating of the Fanes? 50W or 80W?

PS: anyway, just purchased. Cannot wait to try them tonight ;)
Thanks for the link.

Since Fane did not get back to me yet, I will definitely try this form to get more info. That's a great find that didn’t come up in my research.

Please let me know your thoughts on the cab pack. Thanks for your support, help, & purchase.

Thanks for the link.

Since Fane did not get back to me yet, I will definitely try this form to get more info. That's a great find that didn’t come up in my research.
Yeah that link is a big resource for hiwatt amps and cabs, lots of info.

Please let me know your thoughts on the cab pack. Thanks for your support, help, & purchase.
I'll sure let you know, if I have a bit of time I'll try to record some samples too. But probably it won't happen tonight, a big storm just reached my town and I'm not confident in keeping my PC and ax8 plugged into the power outlet. Fun postponed:cry:

Yeah that link is a big resource for hiwatt amps and cabs, lots of info.

I'll sure let you know, if I have a bit of time I'll try to record some samples too. But probably it won't happen tonight, a big storm just reached my town and I'm not confident in keeping my PC and ax8 plugged into the power outlet. Fun postponed:cry:
Just as an update, neither that linked site nor Fane amplification has replied with info yet. Perhaps after new year they will.

I have always been struggling to get a gilmourish sound out of this amp. Could someone please give me some help regarding the necessary settings to get into the ballpark? Let’s say shine on you crazy diamond? MkI user, so I only have free access to the one fane cab the AFX comes with. Thanks in advance.

I have always been struggling to get a gilmourish sound out of this amp. Could someone please give me some help regarding the necessary settings to get into the ballpark? Let’s say shine on you crazy diamond? MkI user, so I only have free access to the one fane cab the AFX comes with. Thanks in advance.
I think Shine on you crazy diamond (album version) wasn't recorded with an hiwatt but with a fender dual showman, while on PULSE he used an Alembic f2B preamp into the hiwatt power amp.

I have a few floydian patches in which I use the hiwatt and the factory WEM IR, I'll share them as I get home tomorrow.

Just as an update, neither that linked site nor Fane amplification has replied with info yet. Perhaps after new year they will.
I still haven't tried your new IRs, very little time these days..

Last edited:
I’d really be grateful if you posted these patches. Thank you very much.
Here you go!
Some of them use the hiwatt model, in the others you'll find my attempt to emulate the alembic+hiwatt combo.
I included the cabs in the presets cuz I made a slightly "dephased" version of the wem IR and a mix of wem and marshall cabs.
Presets are for the ax8, I use scenes for the various parts of the songs (not all scenes are used).
Enjoy and let me know what you think ;)

Ps: if you find some presets have too much gain (e.g. Shine and Coming back to life) that's because I roll off guitar volume to clean it up.

Attachments

• Run Like Hell.syx
    23.3 KB · Views: 55
  • Comfortably Numb PULSE.syx
    23.3 KB · Views: 57
  • Shine (PULSE).syx
    23.3 KB · Views: 54
  • Any ColourEclipse.syx
    23.3 KB · Views: 47
  • Money.syx
    23.3 KB · Views: 50
  • Time.syx
    23.3 KB · Views: 53
  • Echoes.syx
    23.3 KB · Views: 60
  • ABITW 2.syx
    23.3 KB · Views: 44
  • In The FleshThin Ice.syx
    23.3 KB · Views: 45
  • Coming back to life.syx
    23.3 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
Thanks again for posting the presets. I checked them quickly, did not have much time unfortunately. But I will do so later.

Run like hell sounds very good, very close to the real thing. Sure, it depends on the PUs you use, but with my G&L Strat it sounds really good.
Comfortably Numb seems to miss the lead part or I couldn't find it?
Shine is missing the cab you used?

Thanks again for posting the presets. I checked them quickly, did not have much time unfortunately. But I will do so later.

Run like hell sounds very good, very close to the real thing. Sure, it depends on the PUs you use, but with my G&L Strat it sounds really good.
Comfortably Numb seems to miss the lead part or I couldn't find it?
Shine is missing the cab you used?
Sure, the sound depends on the guitar used so tweak them to your taste. I tried to replicate the gear and settings gilmour used on those songs though.

Comfortably Numb should have the lead sound, it's scene 3 IIRC. Anyway that's the preset that satisfies me the least, probably due to the ax8 muff sim not sounding quite like a sovtek despite my tweaks.

Shine has the same cab used in Coming back to life (wem + Marshall), you can copy it from that preset.

Here is a quick question, is the Hiwatt Jump model basicly the Fractal version of the Canadian Modded Hiwatts? if not, any thoughts on what change to get close to that modded amp? @Admin M@

Here is a quick question, is the Hiwatt Jump model basicly the Fractal version of the Canadian Modded Hiwatts? if not, any thoughts on what change to get close to that modded amp? @Admin M@

The Hiwatt is a clean beats that loves pedals. There is one trick to it to get to gainier, and that is use the 12db amp input boost in the Amp Block. Now you'll get some crunch. Try the Starfinder cab in the Legacy cab section too, not just the Hiwatt fanes.

The Hiwatt is a clean beats that loves pedals. There is one trick to it to get to gainier, and that is use the 12db amp input boost in the Amp Block. Now you'll get some crunch. Try the Starfinder cab in the Legacy cab section too, not just the Hiwatt fanes.
Yep - The W.E.M. Starfinder w/ 4 12" Fane Crescendo speakers. I sure hope the FM3 will have that (I'm on the waitlist).

Hello I am relatively new here and have a quick question. BTW I love the Hipower/Hipower Jumped model in my new AXE 3. I compared it to my real Hiwatts and it's excellent. I am using the WEM Starfinder from Legacy Cabinets and it's really nice compared to the Fanes I have. My Fane Cabs do not have Crescendos but "Vintage Purple" reissues by the UK company that bought the Fane and Hiwatt trademarks. Anyway, my question is : "Was the Legacy Cab Starfinder IR modeled from an original WEM cab with Fane Crescendos?" I love the IR but was just curious if the Hiwatt/Fane fanatics like myself knew some details. Shine On!

AFAIK the only available information lists them as “Custom” Fane speakers. It’s an IR from The Amp Factory, so maybe ask TAF directly.

Let us know the answer.

My apologies in advance if I ramble here - I am new to the forum and am anxious to offer something to the group as I have gained alot from others here. I hope my manners are acceptable to the forum.

I emailed Andy at TAF - he was kind to return my message and we had a short back and forth conversation. I bought a nice package of IR's from him which included all the iterations of the WEM Starfinder he had and some others. He told me that the one in our Legacy Collection is excellent but isn't the "same" as the ones I purchased. He said the ones in the package I purchased were modeled from Gilmour's real WEM Starfinder with Fane Crescendos. The Hiwatts in his Kemper stuff apparently came from Gilmour's studio amps that Phil Taylor supplied for the IR capture sessions. Kemper players get those amp models - but we have an excellent Hiwatt (Highpower) which nails the tone.

These files have 2014 time stamps on them so it's hard to tell if they were concurrent with the TAF Starfinder in the Legacy Collection. The one in the Legacy collection is labeled a "mix". The one's I bought are 45 different mic placements via 8 mics including a Neumann U47 which is reported in an article by Alan Parsons as one of the mic's used on DSOM. Anyway I am new to this - I had used an Axe Standard years ago as a efx unit into a Hiwatt DR50 with "Vintage" Purple reissues. I went full analog for my Floyd tributes several years back but now I am using an AXE III and immersed in the tone shaping process.

Fractal Highpower Jumped is extremely accurate and quite awesome in my opinion. The gravy for me is finding Fane speaker IR's. My personal analog Fane reissues are distinct and dark with tight low end. I honestly haven't heard a vintage Crescendo in person but the Fane (Vintage Purple Reissues) must be close because they have that flavor. Reeves Amps in Ohio makes serious Hiwatt replicas, true to the originals and his "Purple" speakers are quite nice. I have a Reeves Custom 50 (1 x 12 Combo)and a Hiwatt (Music Ground) Custom 50. My real cabs are the WEM 4 x 12 reissue (Music Ground) with Hiwatt Purples and a Hiwatt 2x12 with the same speakers. Music Ground bought the Hiwatt trademark and manufactures modern versions of the classic amp. Good quality but debatable reputation. I happen to like their amps and cabs but mine are 10 years old and I don't know what they are producing in the UK these days.

I am waiting for a Mission Gemini wedge to come and I will be auditioning alot of these Fane IR's in the next few weeks. I don't want to rush to judgement until I get a transparent platform to tone shape. So bottom line is the Legacy Starfound models Fanes but probably not Gilmour's Crescendos. If we go with Andy at TAF - the cab pack he sold me might be the real deal and certainly worth a small investment to audition.

the cab pack he sold me might be the real deal and certainly worth a small investment to audition.
What's the name of the cab pack you purchased? And where did you get it from?
I don't see any on their site currently and the one I got (cab legends) contains the same cab you find in the axe fx and is in ultrares format only.

Back
Top Bottom