Looper with no MFC

EG 2006

Inspired
I've spent quite a bit of time trying to find answers on this with no luck. Can I use the Axe FX 2XL+ looper function WITHOUT the MFC? I have no other need for the foot controller and the manual suggests you can control the looper from the front control panel. I have no idea which buttons could do that and how could you play and press buttons?

Is there another foot controller option just to loop with? The MFC is like $1300 AUD here and I can't afford that just to loop a few riffs to solo over not to mention it looks huge. Any suggestions would be gratefully received. Thank you.

The looper is being controlled by standard CC Midi commands. So yes, this should be possible.

You can control the looper block basically just like you control e.g. the amp block. Select it, press edit, select the parameter you want to adjust and in the looper's case press enter to e.g. start recording. But of course you cannot do this while playing except if you play with your feet.

To me it seems what you need is a very small, very specific controller. There's two options: Find one on the market or build one by yourself.
For the first option I recommend to take a look at https://voes.be Maybe the MC-5jr could work for you? If you need a display take the MC-5.
For the second option I could help you. Building one based on an arduino is very easy (if you know how to). I could write the code for you, but of course you'd have to build the casing, do the soldering etc. by yourself! But all in all you'd probably have to spend like 50 AUD tops.

Get the Morningstar midi pedal. There is a looper specific cc command that sends the data faster so there is no lag between pressing the button and the axe.looper recording. I had lag/latency with the record command when using a regular cc message or using my external 1/2 switch to control the looper.

In addition, it has a ton of awesome functions and you can label every button with a command. Has multiple Banks and different button presses can mean different things. You can do program change commands too, and the editing is simple as well. I am in no way affiliated with Morningstar I just really like my midi controller.

I've spent quite a bit of time trying to find answers on this with no luck. Can I use the Axe FX 2XL+ looper function WITHOUT the MFC? I have no other need for the foot controller and the manual suggests you can control the looper from the front control panel. I have no idea which buttons could do that and how could you play and press buttons?

Is there another foot controller option just to loop with? The MFC is like $1300 AUD here and I can't afford that just to loop a few riffs to solo over not to mention it looks huge. Any suggestions would be gratefully received. Thank you.
Go to the Looper block in the grid and press Edit, then use Enter to control the highlighted command.

Get the Morningstar midi pedal. There is a looper specific cc command that sends the data faster so there is no lag between pressing the button and the axe.looper recording. I had lag/latency with the record command when using a regular cc message or using my external 1/2 switch to control the looper.
Those look quite nice aswell, yes!

But what makes me wonder is this "specific" vs. a "regular" cc message. Midi is a very simple format, especially the cc and pc commands (syx not so much ;)). I cannot believe that there's such a thing, cc messages are defined in the midi specs. If a controller does something else, the receiving machine won't be able to read it!

But what makes me wonder is this "specific" vs. a "regular" cc message. Midi is a very simple format, especially the cc and pc commands (syx not so much ;)). I cannot believe that there's such a thing, cc messages are defined in the midi specs. If a controller does something else, the receiving machine won't be able to read it!
I think the MC-6 has a setting that optimizes the CC timing for use with Looper...

Since you can press 2 buttons at the same time, it needs some sort of delay to allow you to hit both “at the same time.”

This delay means that commands are sent a few milliseconds later, which doesn’t work well for looping. There are commands to temporarily make the switches on the MC6 send instantly. Otherwise it’s impossoble to loop instantly and press 2 buttons at exactly the same time.

Thanks everyone for the very helpful suggestions! Having a look around it seems the One Control Gecko Midi Switcher Mk3 might do the job. Can anyone see any issue with this device being solely used as a looper tool? It seems to switch presets well. Just not sure about it controlling an effect block (looper) within a preset?

Thanks everyone for the very helpful suggestions! Having a look around it seems the One Control Gecko Midi Switcher Mk3 might do the job. Can anyone see any issue with this device being solely used as a looper tool? It seems to switch presets well. Just not sure about it controlling an effect block (looper) within a preset?
The Gecko only changes presets.

“the Gecko MKII sends Patch Change (PC) numbers, while the Basilisk sends both Patch Change (PC) and Control Change (CC) numbers.” - Sweetwater

But the Basilisk still is designed to just change presets, while sending CC data. It doesn’t seem to be a CC or IA (instant access) controller.

Great advice Chris, thanks again. I'll follow the advice in this thread and see if I can get hold of one of the controllers suggested.

Back
Top Bottom