AX8 menu is actually pretty easy... stupid user story

Been a super happy owner since the AX8 came out, but never was brave enough to tackle the menus. I set up my presets with a PC from day one. Live, I use it for effects into an amp.

Well last night I did something dumb, I traded the amp I used with the AX8 (which all my presets were dialed for) for a new one. Literally on the way to the gig, lol. Setting up at the gig I tested and sure enough, didn't sound great at all. I dove into the menus in a panic, for the first time ever. And whaddya know... it was easy! I had all my patches sounding great in no time. I don't think I want to build from scratch using the menu, but on-the-fly tweaks are cake! Just when I thought I couldn't love this thing more...

Been a super happy owner since the AX8 came out, but never was brave enough to tackle the menus. I set up my presets with a PC from day one. Live, I use it for effects into an amp.

Well last night I did something dumb, I traded the amp I used with the AX8 (which all my presets were dialed for) for a new one. Literally on the way to the gig, lol. Setting up at the gig I tested and sure enough, didn't sound great at all. I dove into the menus in a panic, for the first time ever. And whaddya know... it was easy! I had all my patches sounding great in no time. I don't think I want to build from scratch using the menu, but on-the-fly tweaks are cake! Just when I thought I couldn't love this thing more...

LOLZ ... I did that Saturday night. Got to a gig and was hunting through the menus for Global EQ so I could take some of the bottom end off. I somehow managed to do something and hit on of the buttons and lost all volume from my preset. All other presets wee find but that one was dead to me. I had a copy elsewhere so I ended up copying it over (not really in-depth editing or anything ... hahaha) but it is pretty easy to adjust the 'normal' parameters and copy stuff about.

That's great!

What kind of changes did you do to your presets?

And... Just curious: why did you trade the amp? Which was the old one? And the new one?
The changes were mainly tweaking the eq and output level of the Ruckus overdrive. The previous serving sounded thin and harsh thru the new amp. I lowered the mid Q and messed with the tmb levels and I think the hi/lo cuts as well. I was amazed how easy and intuitive it was.

My previous amp was a Princeton Reverb. Sounded great and plenty loud but not enough clean headroom at rock stage volume. Traded for a Super Sonic 22 which is absolutely perfect. I was very satisfied with the result!

I think people just forgo using the menus when they know there's an easier way to mess around with it, then because they're so used to using the AX8-Edit they get overwhelmed by the text-heavy layout. When I first got my AX8 I didn't have the correct cable to hook it up to my PC, so for the first week and a half I did everything using the onboard screen. I'm so glad I did because now I could easily put together a preset in about 15 minutes if something I wasn't prepared for popped up at a gig.

I think people just forgo using the menus when they know there's an easier way to mess around with it, then because they're so used to using the AX8-Edit they get overwhelmed by the text-heavy layout. When I first got my AX8 I didn't have the correct cable to hook it up to my PC, so for the first week and a half I did everything using the onboard screen. I'm so glad I did because now I could easily put together a preset in about 15 minutes if something I wasn't prepared for popped up at a gig.

No doubt huh? I'll have to take the plunge and try from scratch with just the menu. I liked it. Psychologically it felt more immediate, like turning the knobs on a real pedal. Somehow I feel like I actually got a better tone this way, lol

Back
Top Bottom