Legacy Presets MASTER THREAD - AustinBuddy DREAMRIGS 1000+TonePack for AX8 and Axe-FX Mark II/XL/XL+

Third party presets or preset packs for sale for legacy Fractal Audio products.
@austinbuddy

I normally set my input pad to 0db for my Strat, and that's been working well. I notice in the setup videos you recommend setting the pad to 12db.

My question is: If I set the input pad to 0db, is that equivalent to engaging your "drive" block for Strats?

Thanks!

What I would like is to use it as recommended (+4db/ output 1 at 11:30) to eliminate any chance of mishaps in the future. Sound guys vary on what they can do or amount of advice they want to take from you. But dialing in the guitar like a keyboard is a good start .
Good choice, though no setting will eliminate all chances of "too hot" or "too quiet." The settings you've chosen give you room to dial your level up or down. And you always have the option of dropping your output to -10 for those sound guys who have no idea how to adjust gain on their boards.

@austinbuddy

I normally set my input pad to 0db for my Strat, and that's been working well. I notice in the setup videos you recommend setting the pad to 12db.

My question is: If I set the input pad to 0db, is that equivalent to engaging your "drive" block for Strats?

Thanks!
Interesting. That is probably a Ax8 manual or Cliff question, I could not say exact amount to compensate offhand.

It defaults to 12db and for me, I would leave it there - sounds great. If you are boosting your signal by 12 db (to 0) then these presets will not sound as designed and may distort. One reason I have a step to “reset all parameters” in the set up video.

Others may know.. paging @Rex? @yek?

Last edited:
Input Pad is for optimizing the level in the A/D converter at the front end of the AX8, so you get a hot enough signal to minimize noise, but not so hot as to clip the input.

Example: when you set input pad to 12 dB, it lowers your guitar's signal into the converter by 12 dB. But it also adds a 12 dB digital boost immediately after the converter. So the net result is no change in level in the AX8 for any setting of Input Pad.

Last edited:
Input Pad is for optimizing the level i the A/D converter at the front end of the AX8, so you get a hot enough signal to minimize noise, but not so hot as to clip the input.

Example: when you set input pad to 12 dB, it lowers your guitar's signal into the converter by 12 dB. But it also adds a 12 dB digital boost immediately after the converter. So the net result is no change in level in the AX8 for any setting of Input Pad.
Thanks to pros Yek and Rex for weighing in! I always say “I dunno, let’s read da manual...”

Reactions: Rex
Hey Austin, Just chiming in to say that I bought this pack last night and it ho-lee shit it sounds amazing. I personally like this much more than the 700+ naked amps pack (I'm mainly a live player but these could work very well for recording). The biggest improvement over the original tonepack is in the high gain amps. I'm not sure what you did but they're night and day better. The single coil boost switch is also awesome as I often go back and forth between coil splitting and humbucking tones on my FIshman Tosin's mid song. 10/10 would recommend.

Hey Austin, Just chiming in to say that I bought this pack last night and it ho-lee shit it sounds amazing. I personally like this much more than the 700+ naked amps pack (I'm mainly a live player but these could work very well for recording). The biggest improvement over the original tonepack is in the high gain amps. I'm not sure what you did but they're night and day better. The single coil boost switch is also awesome as I often go back and forth between coil splitting and humbucking tones on my FIshman Tosin's mid song. 10/10 would recommend.

Thanks so much man! I had a local secret weapon, a metal expert who played while I dialed in most of the modern amps, and he used a PRS more suitable so it really did improve those sounds for those kinds of guitars -- these are not as saturated as previous versions, tighter bass and focused harmonic content -- really happy with how bank 3 in this pack came out.

I also discovered the various Splawns with a different Factory cab that woke them up for me (the V60) -- fell in love with those too!

Hey @austinbuddy, one small thing on your instructions. When dragging cabs (or individual presents), you don't have to drag them to the browser first. That's only needed when dragging a preset bank. With cabs, you can just drag them from the finder directly into the user cab spot 20, or wherever you want them. Saves a redundant step :)

I am loving this pack even more than the last one! As someone who has never played any of these amps in real life, I find Austin's ear invaluable. I found that the last pack taught me the subtle differences between all of the different amps, but this one really squeezes the juice out of them. I also like that there are so many ways to add a bit more grit to get the exact sound you are looking for.
Finding austinbuddy's presets really was a game changer for me and I cant thank him enough for adding so much to an already fantastic product.

I am loving this pack even more than the last one! As someone who has never played any of these amps in real life, I find Austin's ear invaluable. I found that the last pack taught me the subtle differences between all of the different amps, but this one really squeezes the juice out of them. I also like that there are so many ways to add a bit more grit to get the exact sound you are looking for.
Finding austinbuddy's presets really was a game changer for me and I cant thank him enough for adding so much to an already fantastic product.
Thanks so much hughj! It really is my goal to help all Ax8 users have the tone tools they need to do the job!

Hey @austinbuddy, one small thing on your instructions. When dragging cabs (or individual presents), you don't have to drag them to the browser first. That's only needed when dragging a preset bank. With cabs, you can just drag them from the finder directly into the user cab spot 20, or wherever you want them. Saves a redundant step :)
This is true!... But so you know, a number of TonePack customers in the past had trouble using the browser (show/hide) and could not see it — so I wanted to sneak that concept in so I wouldn’t have handle any new inquiries about it. Plus this process mirrors the preset loading process. “See what I did there?”

Austin,
I bought the 700 Pack and settled on a couple of amps that I built boards around for a cover band setup (Marshall and Fender amps mostly). I'm wondering how this pack differs and what I would be gaining from buying it? I play in a cover band with horns, use a tele, strat, 335, and a LP as guitars. I have a RCF NX12 SMA as a FRFR monitor on stage and run Out 2 to FOH.

That´s funny, I´m in the exact same situation.. Bought the 700 pack and use it in my coverband with horns. Settled on a vox and a bogner an been getting a lot of compliments on my tone. And now I´m wondering if it would be worth it to buy the new pack.

That´s funny, I´m in the exact same situation.. Bought the 700 pack and use it in my coverband with horns..

Funny is right! Maybe we should PM each other our favorite presets? I went ahead and bought the pack. I was so pleased with the last one, I couldn't wait for his response. It is equally as great, if not better. Maybe it's because I went back and factory reset my parameters and started from ground zero? They sound fabulous! I find myself playing my LP a lot and the Marshall tones are spot! I've owned and currently own a bunch of vintage amps and these tones are so cool. I had a nice Fender clean tone before, so not sure I'm going to change much?

As a side, the bonus for me was the block package that came with it! Love the delays, chorus and compression blocks he gives you! For me, these are the toughest to dial in! For $80 this pack is once again a no-brainer! Thanks AB!!

Funny is right! Maybe we should PM each other our favorite presets? I went ahead and bought the pack. I was so pleased with the last one, I couldn't wait for his response. It is equally as great, if not better. Maybe it's because I went back and factory reset my parameters and started from ground zero? They sound fabulous! I find myself playing my LP a lot and the Marshall tones are spot! I've owned and currently own a bunch of vintage amps and these tones are so cool. I had a nice Fender clean tone before, so not sure I'm going to change much?

As a side, the bonus for me was the block package that came with it! Love the delays, chorus and compression blocks he gives you! For me, these are the toughest to dial in! For $80 this pack is once again a no-brainer! Thanks AB!!
Another pro to this pack is it is tuned with the latest firmware which he thought was brighter... :)

I bought the pack as well. Another benefit is that as AB guides you through the installation process (through the videos), I wound up understanding this amazing piece of Fractal hardware better. Consider it valuable hands on training that's included!
Money well spent.

Gonna be a while before I can get to play with these. I'd love to hear/see samples of this to tide me over until I can hear it for myself. Anyone gonna have a chance to demo this for those who can't get it yet.

I bought it yesterday. I just have to go through the hard rock, and metal presets to get rid of the djent noise gate. I can't stand too aggressive of a gate. At least there are other gate presets from the pack I can use. So far so good overall though!!!!

That´s funny, I´m in the exact same situation.. Bought the 700 pack and use it in my coverband with horns. Settled on a vox and a bogner an been getting a lot of compliments on my tone. And now I´m wondering if it would be worth it to buy the new pack.
Honestly, if you are happy, why change? Naked Amps has benefit of running on 10.01, 9.02/9.04, or 8.02 firmwares.

This pack gives you more tonal options and works with both humbuckers and single coils, and has effects and user cabs. If you love have tones available from clean to high gain and in between, this is a better choice and dialed in for 10.01 (which for some amps is a bright firmware to my ears).

I think I'm going to do a comparison table of the two packs this weekend and post here -- it's a good question.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom