How to control Axe-Fx III with Helix

carlosprs

Hi everybody,
I'm new here, does anybody know how to control Axe FX III with Helix ?
My setting for Helix command center is : command = Bank/program
midi channel = Base (same as global setting = 1)
program = 26 in my example

Setting on the Axe FX III
Set up Midi/remote
Channel = 1 (same as Helix)
Program change = ON

Axe FX III receive midi signal (I've seen the light flash) but nothing happens it only comes back to program 000
each time I push the command on the Helix
I've probably forgotten a setting but don't know where (Helix ? Axe ? what kind of setting ? )
something with Bank CC00 and Bank CC32 on the Helix ?
Thank you for your help

Good question! I plan on getting the AXE3 soon and using my GT-100 as a midi controller (partly because I love the expression pedal). I might have to start a thread about it when I get the AXE3 haha

Created my own template for AxeIII control via Helix. Switches scenes on Axe using instant commands in Helix snapshot mode, wah engage via exp 1, guitar synth engage via expression 2, axe tuner via helix tuner switch, select gr synth tones with top row of switches in Helix stomp mode. I get great tones out of the Helix as well; but as a midi controller; it's awesome as well. Such a useful piece of gear.

I got this set up this week and was surprised at how well this works. Thanks to this thread and guitartripp for your preset to kick things off!

Created my own template for AxeIII control via Helix. Switches scenes on Axe using instant commands in Helix snapshot mode, wah engage via exp 1, guitar synth engage via expression 2, axe tuner via helix tuner switch, select gr synth tones with top row of switches in Helix stomp mode. I get great tones out of the Helix as well; but as a midi controller; it's awesome as well. Such a useful piece of gear.
Can you please post this template for me? I'm struggling to get scenes working.

Thank you

Can you please post this template for me? I'm struggling to get scenes working.

Thank you
Here you go:
https://app.box.com/s/o309860vxeuns59yy37br3j2x44wyotb
It will give you a "file type not supported error" when viewing in the browser but it is a working HLX file. Right-click and "Save link as...".

Exp 1 and 2 are assigned to wah and input 3, respectively. The CC values these functions are assigned to can be applied to other modifiers in the Axe if you so choose. Helix tuner button engages the Axe tuner. Scenes work as they should. There are some things I have setup on my end in stomp mode on the Helix you probably won't need.

You will need to make sure both devices are on the same midi channel. You will need to assign a CC value to scenes and the tuner in the Axe for this Helix preset to control those items. Setup---Midi/Remote---Other tab
fssu54A.jpg

BCThBnv.jpg

Has anyone seen if the Helix can display Tuner data from the Axe III? I only have one MIDI cable. I am planning to order a 2nd and try it.

Has anyone seen if the Helix can display Tuner data from the Axe III? I only have one MIDI cable. I am planning to order a 2nd and try it.

I think JT in post 10 has his set up this way with the tuner.

I have not tried his preset yet, as i made mine from scratch as well, but i have 10 foot switches activated, mainly for stomps for on off , one scene switch that cycles thru scene 1 thru 8 and back to one again, and repeats, not ideal, but i was , and am still new at programming this. :D
I also have two preset buttons for up and down , and exp 1 as external 1 controlling wah. I have separate exp pedals plugged directly into the lll control output volume and one controlling pitch block.

While i am waiting for the FC controllers i may download JT’s preset and see what he has going on, it sounds more sophisticated than my set up.

This is just for home, So for now i am happy with the helix set up, although its one way so to speak with the axe three, still is excellent midi controller with the scribble strips and ease of use setting things up from command center.

Last edited:
I believe JT just has his setup similar to mine. He has the Tuner button on the Helix set to turn the Tuner on on the Axe III, same as mine. I'm looking to see if the Helix will display tuner info from the Axe III...I ordered another MIDI cable and will test. I know some higher end MIDI controllers can show the tuner info on their displays.

I believe JT just has his setup similar to mine. He has the Tuner button on the Helix set to turn the Tuner on on the Axe III, same as mine. I'm looking to see if the Helix will display tuner info from the Axe III...I ordered another MIDI cable and will test. I know some higher end MIDI controllers can show the tuner info on their displays.

Ok, in see what you are saying now. Be cool if it could. As a side note, I am patiently waiting for the FC12 though :sunglasses:

I can almost guarantee you won't get bidirectional communication between the Helix and the III. Being able to activate the tuner from the Helix is cool enough for me.

I use the Helix as a midi controller for my III. PM me and I’ll send a helix file and info on setting...
Hey, I’m just wondering- do you use the actual helix as the controller, or the helix midi controller as the controller? I’m considering buying a helix LT as a backup rig, i would like to use that as the midi controller for the III to change scenes.

Hey, I’m just wondering- do you use the actual helix as the controller, or the helix midi controller as the controller? I’m considering buying a helix LT as a backup rig, i would like to use that as the midi controller for the III to change scenes.
I use the actual Helix Floor unit. You can use the LT and there shouldn’t be any problems that I’m aware of. If you’re interested, I’m actually selling my Helix Floor and will be back in the US on the 26th and can ship it then. You can either do reverb purchase or I can set it up on eBay as well. It will include the backpack and MIDI template for controlling the III.

Back
Top Bottom