Buying from Thomann?

claxor

Power User
Anyone here having difficulty buying from the Thomann online store while living in the US?

The prices are quite good compared to US online retailers.

Love this store, good service, great prices, nice home-brand stuff. I live in the Netherlands, don't know about shipping overseas.

I like Thomann, good prices and nice service overall. Not sure about US , but for EU custommers its probbably the best place to shop for gear.

I bought from them and shipped to Hong Kong. Worked great. I think it was flat rate 50Euro shipping to HK, but since outside EU they deduct the EU VAT from the price. As Hong Kong doesn't have import duties or VAT on most items it was a great deal.

So frustrating... I tried to buy a new cab, and at the end of the online transaction, the page said: sorry we can’t sell that to you in your country (US). What the hell?

So frustrating... I tried to buy a new cab, and at the end of the online transaction, the page said: sorry we can’t sell that to you in your country (US). What the hell?
Many manufacturers have agreements with vendors to sell in a defined area, or country, so that competition with other authorized sellers is eliminated. It's not uncommon. Sorry it didn't work out for you!

Many manufacturers have agreements with vendors to sell in a defined area, or country, so that competition with other authorized sellers is eliminated. It's not uncommon. Sorry it didn't work out for you!

So basically what Fractal does with us Euros, refusing to sell to us directly.

As for Thomann, they're excellent. Easily the best online vendor I know.

So basically what Fractal does with us Euros, refusing to sell to us directly.

As for Thomann, they're excellent. Easily the best online vendor I know.
Yes, that’s correct. There are lots of considerations, involving being able to provide repair services, making it worth the vendors while to participate, that sort of thing. It’s never a personal or geographic slight, just the constraints of business. On your other point, I have heard plenty of praise for Thomann. I’m sure they do a great job for their customers.

I purchased one of their Harley Benton 1x12 cabs with a chinese V30 from California. It was $130 + $30 shipping. It was pretty hassle free and I didn't deal with any import duties. It also arrived pretty quickly. I think a little over a week if I remember correctly.

I just recently purchased a used mesa 2x12, and I'm now kind of regretting not getting a 2x12 Harley Benton from the start. I actually like the the sound of the Harley Benton better. They sound pretty damn similar (I could hardly tell the difference when first I A/Bed then), except the Benton is a bit smoother and brighter. I'm now playing the mesa and benton together in parallel. Sounds pretty good.

As I understand, most of the main brand stuff you probably won't be able to import. But their in house Harley Benton stuff is probably worth looking into. I don't see any other reason why you want to import when all the main brand stuff available in the US.

Thomann is to us europeans what Guitar Center is to you US folks. The only difference is that Thomann doesn't run any local stores (with the exception of the one in the small town where the company is located). Their online shop is stellar, shipment very fast. The Harley Benton stuff is mostly made in China and in most cases a good bang for the buck.

Back
Top Bottom