New to Fractal - What studio monitors are people using for home use?

Fractivator

Hey eveyone...I just took the plunge on an Axe Fx 3. Was heavily conflicted between Helix V Fractal. Always wanted to go Fractal but was tossing up between the spend and future value. Needles to say after release of Axe Fx 3 and the November deal, a shiny new Axe Fx 3 is coming back home to New Zealand with me after a work trip to my company’s HQ in Alabama. Carry on only!

I’m writing this sitting in the departure lounge in Jakarta after lugging my new purchase to Taiwan for a week and now Indonesia while here on work. I have so far not fired it up and the excitement of finally heading home to my guitars is almost unbearable now.

I’m really interested to hear from you guys that use studio monitors what you are using, why you chose that option and any tips to get a satisfactory output. I’m on headphones until I select the best form of amplification. No need for a huge frfr as not giging (this is my home hobby...and what a hobby it’s going to be now )

Maybe there’s some good threads out there already - I’ve done some background reading but still not sure of what product to go for. Any help greatly appreciated. Cheers!

I'm very excited about your purchase, and there are indeed many threads about the "best" speakers. I suspect that any near-field studio monitors that you have sitting around will sound great. I'm very pleased with my "stereo," it is a whole bunch of inputs (Amazon Echo, Apple Airport Express, Axe-FX, ...) feeding into a pair of 8" studio monitors. Have fun!!

Hi fractivator,
Now I'm old enough to know better - I suggest auditioning a whole bunch of expensive, professional studio monitors, and buying the pair that 'does it' for you - even if you can't afford it. the ones that make your favourite music sound as if you are there in the room without hyping or changing that feeling of being there with the musicians.
Now, you will think about the money, but for the next xx years, you have to live with your purchase with the one most crucial item, that is the interface between you and your music.
Let us know what you get.
Thanks
Pauly

Event Opals (recording) and 2 CLR Neo's (live)

I have exactly the same now, and I love it. I have had the CLRs since they came out, but I just upgraded my old near field monitors (I don't dog a product, but they're the other popular near field monitors often mentioned on this site with it's corresponding sub) to the Opals and it made all the difference for me.

My Ax8 sounds better through the Opals then the Ax3 does through my old monitors. It's all about the monitors...

I have exactly the same now, and I love it. I have had the CLRs since they came out, but I just upgraded my old near field monitors to the Opals and it made all the difference for me.

My Ax8 sounds better through the Opals then the Ax3 does through my old monitors. It's all about the monitors...
Yep, that combination totally rocks. I can dial up great tones using the Opals and when I switch to the CLR's it pretty much same-same. Those Opals sound clear and crisp. When I first got them I was amazed on how much I didn't hear prior.

Adam A7 and recently Yamaha HS8. I like the HS8 better for crafting guitar tones that translate well to a PA system. I understand the A7X uses improved drivers over the A7, so maybe they would work equally well as the HS8.

I switched to Adam A7x’s about a year ago. What amazes me about them with the Axe is how well patches translate. I used to dial them in on my CLR and then have to tweak them for recording. No more. The A7x sound is the same as my DAW play back AND sounds great on the CLR.

I got mine when Reverb/Pitbull Audio did one of their 15% off promos. Well worth the money!

I switched to Adam A7x’s about a year ago. What amazes me about them with the Axe is how well patches translate. I used to dial them in on my CLR and then have to tweak them for recording. No more. The A7x sound is the same as my DAW play back AND sounds great on the CLR.

I got mine when Reverb/Pitbull Audio did one of their 15% off promos. Well worth the money!
Interesting. I'd like to hear some A7x.

Side note - my 16 year old snatched up my A7's for his room the very day I brought home the HS8. I figured it would be good for him to learn what good sound is like, so I let him.

Neumann Kh310 here... very happy with them.

If you want the truth about your tone, I only suggest you invest as much as you can afford because it's one the most important piece of the puzzle.

Unless you really don't have any interest in recording or live use. If that's the case, any entry level will work for you.

I need to downsize so I am
looking into the Event Opals.
It looks like i might have to unload a pair of CLR`s and a pair of KRK Rokit 10`3 s

Back
Top Bottom