[Linux folk] Disappearing mouse cursor

AlbertA

Fractal Fanatic
Disclaimer: this is meant for other linux folk, not Windows/OSX users or Fractal Audio as Linux is not officially supported.

Axe-Edit III works well under wine (provided you set the dwrite library to disabled).

However, in my config (Ubuntu 18.04/NVIDIA proprietary driver, the mouse cursor disappears after the wait icon changes once the user cab names are loaded.

Are there any other linux folk around here using Axe-Edit III under wine? do you have any workarounds for disappearing mouse cursors?

Well I don't use Axe-Edit III (obviously because of the missing hardware ;)), but I always have disappearing mouse cursor on Axe-Edit for the II when I'm on the Cab manager loading IR files. Moving the cursor around a bit outside the Axe-Edit window, it reappears. Sometimes it takes longer, sometimes it doesn't disappear at all. It's a bit enerving, but still quite easy to deal with.
This is independent of any display drivers (Nvidia proprietary driver, nouveau and Intel). I run Archlinux.

I have same issues in edit with my fx III, no workaround yet. However I never had this issue with my xl+ when using axe edit in Linux.

Just got my axe 3 and am now experiencing this too. It's making the editor quite unusable :(

Did you, or anyone else, find a solution to this?

I haven't. The workaround I currently use in Ubuntu is install gnome-tweak-tool and enable pointer location when you press Ctrl.

It's manageable with that but annoying.

Unfortunately not on Ubuntu 18.04 with 4.19.0-041900-generic. It loads the preload just fine w/o errors and same issue with the mouse cursor.

Aaargh. Had high hopes, but the debian testing version (wine-3.21) seems unaffected by the preload.

EDIT: That was a long day. It's simple, and at least on wine 4.0-rc.1, it works wonderfully. Thank you!

Last edited:
I've almost got this working and I'm desperately hoping somebody can help me with these last steps. Here's what I've got.

Linux Mint 19.2 with 18.0.24 kernel.

Axe Edit runs fine, except for the missing mouse cursor. I managed to compile the code above into a file called 'libaxe-edit-cursor.so'. I have the this file, along with my 'axe-edit.sh' script to run it all in the same directory. My script is:

#!/bin/bash
LD_PRELOAD=libeaxe-edit-cursor.so wine "Axe-Edit III.exe"

When I run it I get the following error:
ERROR: ld.so: object 'libaxe-edit-cursor.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded (cannot open shared object file) ignored.

and then Axe-Edit still opens, but cursor still not there (obviously). Any ideas what I'm doing wrong? Perhaps the code I compiled is not correct. It seemed to build fine though. Could somebody possibly upload/send their shared library file?

Thanks

You'll need to provide the complete path to the libeaxe-edit-cursor.so file and also for the Axe-Edit III.exe, e.g.
Code:
#!/bin/bash
LD_PRELOAD=/home/bstaley/Libraries/libeaxe-edit-cursor.so wine /home/bstaley/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files\ \(x86\)/Fractal\ Audio/Axe-Edit\ III/Axe-Edit\ III.exe
(You'll have to adjust the exact paths, I cannot know them)

Do I still have to provide the complete path if all files (script, library, AxeEdit.exe) are in the same folder? Axe Edit runs when I execute the script, so the path to that is working. What I don't know is if LD_PRELOAD is failing because it can't find the file or because something is wrong with the file.

I played around with the path to the library and now it seems it is trying to load the library, but there is something wrong with it. The message is:

wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64

Could somebody please send or upload their shared library file for me to try? Thanks

Hm, did you compile the sourcecode from reddit yourself? In that case that error message isn't caused by that library.

I just looked it up, seems like Axe Edit III is only for 64bit systems. I'm not sure if wine is working with 64bit applications. But since others are able to run it, it seems to be possible.

Quick test: Can you launch Axe Edit III without including this library?

About your other question: I'm pretty sure that in your case, when everything is in the same folder, you don't need to provide the full path. However, you HAVE to cd into that folder from within the script, because the script defaults to the HOME folder, which isn't where those files are stored. Launching the script executes a subshell (that's what the sheband (1st line)) is for. So your script should change to:
Code:
#!/bin/bash
cd ~/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files\ \(x86\)/Fractal\ Audio/Axe-Edit\ III/
LD_PRELOAD=libeaxe-edit-cursor.so wine "Axe-Edit III.exe"
(~ stands for your home directory)

To be more precise: In the end it depends on how you execute your script. Do you start a terminal, cd into the directory and then run
Code:
./script.sh
? In that case there's no need to put that cd line in the script.
Do you have a symlink on your desktop, which you execute by double click etc? In that case the path is required! So I recommend the script above, should work under every circumstances.

Last edited:
Thank you so much for your help. Bottom line is it is working, though not quite perfectly. I took my laptop to work and got a little help from one of the other developers who has a little experience with Linux. He ended up recompiling the .so file for both 32 and 64 bit. He also ended up putting it in the "lib" folder. There was some confusion, because while I thought Axe-Edit was fully 64 bit, it gets installed in the "Program Files (x86)" folder by wine.

Here is the script that works currently, if I navigate to the Program Files (x86) directory and run it directly:

#!/bin/bash
LD_PRELOAD=/lib/libaxe-edit-cursor.so wine "Axe-Edit III.exe"

When this runs I get two quick messages of the "ELFCLASS64." error I listed above. Then a bunch of other stuff loads and then Axe-Edit loads and I do have a mouse cursor. :)

If you are able to send your compiled assembly I'd love to try it and see if those errors go away. If it works, I'll end up hosting the files and scripts and maybe put a thread together to help others trying to switch over to Linux.

I'm going to try creating a shortcut on the desktop and see if I can get that working. Again, thanks so much for your help, and if there's any chance you could send your file I'd appreciate it.

To answer your question, yes, Axe-Edit will run if I click the icon the installer created on my desktop. It just runs without the cursor.

Last edited:
If by "you" you mean me (I guess so), I don't run Axe Edit III, because I only have an Axe II, so I don't have any of that stuff. But looks like you got it working, so you already have all that's required, right?

Yes, just moments ago I got it working from the desktop. I just moved the script to the desktop and adjusted the paths and gave it a guitar icon. It still prompts me to "Display" the file or "Run In Terminal" and I just click Run In Terminal and it works. If there's a way to just get it to execute the script without prompting me, that would be cool, but at this point I'm just happy it works. Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom