Input Trim

Thanks for your notes man! :), but cliff said: if the drive is turned all the way up the treble boost is zero.and the Input Trim control allows one to fine-tune the amount of treble boost first and then adjust the amount of distortion... forasmuch as my drive is turned all the way up!, so I just wanted to experiment that note! with treble boost first :),and the result wasn't really good in my ear you know.
I put an example of my tone with out using The Input Trim in Recording Section of Forum ;)

Thanks for your notes man! :), but cliff said: if the drive is turned all the way up the treble boost is zero.and the Input Trim control allows one to fine-tune the amount of treble boost first and then adjust the amount of distortion... forasmuch as my drive is turned all the way up!, so I just wanted to experiment that note! with treble boost first :),and the result wasn't really good in my ear you know.
I put an example of my tone with out using The Input Trim in Recording Section of Forum ;)

I hope Cliff will forgive me and correct me if I'm wrong, but I think his choice of words in that post post was a little bit misleading.

The Input Drive control is also associated with a bright cap and as you turn the control up the tone gets darker as well as gainy-er.

The Input Trim and Overdrive parameters do not have a bright cap associated with them and do not affect the hi/lo tonal balance as they are turned up, they just add or subtract gain.

So the amount of treble is controlled by the Input Drive parameter.
For a brighter tone, keep Input Drive low and use the Overdrive and Input Trim controls to adjust the amount of gain.

I hope Cliff will forgive me and correct me if I'm wrong, but I think his choice of words in that post post was a little bit misleading.

The Input Drive control is also associated with a bright cap and as you turn the control up the tone gets darker as well as gainy-er.

The Input Trim and Overdrive parameters do not have a bright cap associated with them and do not affect the hi/lo tonal balance as they are turned up, they just add or subtract gain.

So the amount of treble is controlled by the Input Drive parameter.
For a brighter tone, keep Input Drive low and use the Overdrive and Input Trim controls to adjust the amount of gain.

Correct , maybe my poor English can be misunderstood ... But is that ... For drive I mean input drive

I had my final tone and just wanted to experiment Cliff note on the Input Trim, not to say 99% his notes was very very helpful and informative for me.

Hi everyone,
I would want an advice.
i play on two difference guitar.
the first is a gibson reissue 1957 with two humbucker and the second a musicman luke 3 with 2 single coil and one humbucker.
if i understand the Thread about the input trim, i must lower the input trim for the gibson, insn't it ?
have some advice for resolve my problem, because each guitar don't have the same output volume.and i must set the input setting every time.
thank you in advance.

ok, i think is not "a must", but i just would want an advice.because i think that yes, i increase input trim with single coils and lower it when i use humbucker.
i just would want to know if i understand the thread ! ;)

Great advice !!! I know about it on amplifiers but here on Axe I cannot understand before how really setup these parameter . Thanks again !!!;)

Sorry for the dumb question....
I have two humbuckers (Shur doug Aldrich) with a high level of output.
If i understand the post, if i need to keep the treble, it's better to lower the input drive and have the input trim higher, isn't it ?

Sorry for the dumb question....
I have two humbuckers (Shur doug Aldrich) with a high level of output.
If i understand the post, if i need to keep the treble, it's better to lower the input drive and have the input trim higher, isn't it ?
Yes. With Input Drive lower, you'll have more treble.

Actually, I'm a huge fan of the Input Trim. I have an IA switch on my controller set up to toggle the Input Trim down by a certain amount for each preset. When engaged, it simply drops the gain hitting the front of the amp and pulls out some distortion. Not exactly like rolling back the volume on your guitar, but very, very handy for less aggression on say the verse of a song and then easily and accurately toggling back to normal input trim levels (read: distortion) for the chorus.
I just implemented this on the weekend and have saved it to a version of my main preset. Gonna give it a try at rehearsal this week. REally liked the flexibility this brings.

Actually, I'm a huge fan of the Input Trim. I have an IA switch on my controller set up to toggle the Input Trim down by a certain amount for each preset. When engaged, it simply drops the gain hitting the front of the amp and pulls out some distortion. Not exactly like rolling back the volume on your guitar, but very, very handy for less aggression on say the verse of a song and then easily and accurately toggling back to normal input trim levels (read: distortion) for the chorus.
The Axe-Fx II contains a parameter known as "Input Trim". This is just a straight gain control at the very front of the amp block. It has a range of 0.1 to 10.0 (-20 to +20 dB).

So what use is a straight gain control at the front? Doesn't the Input Drive do the same thing?

The short answer is "no". The long answer is "probably not".

On many amps the Drive knob, which may also be called Gain or Volume, has what is known as a "bright cap" across the physical potentiometer. This capacitor shunts high frequencies around the pot so that the Drive control is not a straight gain. It has an associated frequency response. As the Drive is turned down more high frequencies are shunted around the pot which results in a net treble boost. If the Drive is turned all the way down the treble boost is maximum, if it is turned all the way up the treble boost is zero.

The roots of the bright cap are due to manufacturers trying to compensate for different types of guitars. Guitars with single coil pickups tend to brighter but with less output. The user would then turn the Drive knob high on the amps. Conversely a guitar with humbuckers has more output but sounds darker. To compensate the user would typically turn the Drive down. This will result in a treble boost compensating for the darker response.

The Input Trim control allows one to fine-tune the amount of treble boost first and then adjust the amount of distortion. So it is probably more correct to think of the Drive control as a combination Drive/Treble control. With this in mind experiment with the Drive control combined with the Input Trim.

Indeed some manufacturers have actually implemented separate Drive and Trim controls on their amplifiers. For example the Fryette (VHT) Deliverance has two controls: a Gain knob and a Cut knob. The Gain knob has a bright cap across it while the Cut knob is just a straight volume adjustment. The purpose of these two knobs is exactly as described above.

The Input Trim is also useful in replicating the High/Low jacks on an amp. Some amps have High and Low sensitivity inputs. All of the amp models in the Axe-Fx assume the guitar is plugged into the "High" input. The Low input on an amp is simply 6 dB less sensitive. To replicate using the Low input simply set the Input Trim to 0.5 (which equals -6 dB).

I really appreciate all this information, it will make my tone even better. Are all this awesome tips in the owners manual?

The Axe-Fx II contains a parameter known as "Input Trim". This is just a straight gain control at the very front of the amp block. It has a range of 0.1 to 10.0 (-20 to +20 dB).

So what use is a straight gain control at the front? Doesn't the Input Drive do the same thing?

The short answer is "no". The long answer is "probably not".

On many amps the Drive knob, which may also be called Gain or Volume, has what is known as a "bright cap" across the physical potentiometer. This capacitor shunts high frequencies around the pot so that the Drive control is not a straight gain. It has an associated frequency response. As the Drive is turned down more high frequencies are shunted around the pot which results in a net treble boost. If the Drive is turned all the way down the treble boost is maximum, if it is turned all the way up the treble boost is zero.

The roots of the bright cap are due to manufacturers trying to compensate for different types of guitars. Guitars with single coil pickups tend to brighter but with less output. The user would then turn the Drive knob high on the amps. Conversely a guitar with humbuckers has more output but sounds darker. To compensate the user would typically turn the Drive down. This will result in a treble boost compensating for the darker response.

The Input Trim control allows one to fine-tune the amount of treble boost first and then adjust the amount of distortion. So it is probably more correct to think of the Drive control as a combination Drive/Treble control. With this in mind experiment with the Drive control combined with the Input Trim.

Indeed some manufacturers have actually implemented separate Drive and Trim controls on their amplifiers. For example the Fryette (VHT) Deliverance has two controls: a Gain knob and a Cut knob. The Gain knob has a bright cap across it while the Cut knob is just a straight volume adjustment. The purpose of these two knobs is exactly as described above.

The Input Trim is also useful in replicating the High/Low jacks on an amp. Some amps have High and Low sensitivity inputs. All of the amp models in the Axe-Fx assume the guitar is plugged into the "High" input. The Low input on an amp is simply 6 dB less sensitive. To replicate using the Low input simply set the Input Trim to 0.5 (which equals -6 dB).
When I try to adjust the input trim per scene and then save it it doesn't work. How do you do that?

When I try to adjust the input trim per scene and then save it it doesn't work. How do you do that?
You can assign a scene controller to input trim and then you can save a unique value per-scene. Or you can use a different AMP block and channel per-scene.

The first step is to realize that block settings are shared across ALL scenes.

Scenes are used to control the on/off and channel selection of blocks only.

This is a common confusion with regards to Scenes.

Once you understand that, then follow the advice from @iaresee.

Back
Top Bottom