Multiband Comp on Heavy Guitars

Good idea. I haven't tried in the fractal, but those meters will be a nice help. You can easily thin out your tone a bit too much if you aren't careful. One weird thing I used to notice was that the C4 coloured the tone a bit even with no GR.

NICE!
As I'm sitting here watching and listening, I'm thinking okay, bypass the block... and Leon does!
You are a Great Teacher man! Your videos are always so helpful.
Thank you.

A tip for AX8 users:

As there is no multiband compressor block for the AX8 I had the following idea:

Why not split the signal with 2 filters into two separate channels - one with frequencies > 300Hz, the other <300Hz and add an compressor to the lower band channel. It works great but it is very tricky to set the crossover frequencies and filter order without chaning the original sound too much - (any tips for improvement and help there appreciated) .

Unfortunately I can not post links or images here (need at least 10 posts) so I try to describe it:
Split signal into to channels and add two filters after the split:
Filter 1: Highpass 300Hz, Q: 0.8, 4th Order
Filter 2: Lowpass 400Hz, Q: 0.68, 4th Order
Add a compressor block after filter two - the following settings worked for me:
Studio, Threshold -18dB, Ratio 3.0, Soft, Attack 12ms, Release 25ms, Rest Default.
Combine the two channels after the compressor

You will have to play with the threshold value for your setup. I used the frequency Analyzer in my DAW as a visual aid at what threshold the compressor kicked in for me it started at -15dB.

(Is there a recommended way to use two filter blocks to split the frequencies without any noticeable altering of the overall sound? I am new to this topic, it seems that the AX8 is summing up frequencies that pass both filters.)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom