Palm Mute Chunky Resonance Frequencies 9-11th Fret

axelat

Hi,

my guitars seem to have a resonance frequency between 9th and 11th fret when I do palm muted powerchords. The level is up to 8-10dB higher compared with an open string chord or palm mutes at lower frets, the frequency center is around 160Hz. I already use the cut switch in the amp and try to filter those low frequencies by using a tube screamer and did a little equing but when I dig out the frequencies the overall sound gets to thin. When recording I solve the problem whith fabfilter multiband eq (12dB range) which works great.

I attached the patch I am using 90%

Any tips how to get rid of this problem (mostly for practicing and rehearsals)?

thx

Attachments

• Brown Export.syx
    12.6 KB · Views: 6
What kind of cabs are you playing thru? I would suspect it's more likely the resonant frequency of the cab or your room.

The Cut switch just reduces overall bass...

What is the Low Res Frequency in your Amp block set to?

I have found the same thing with a lot of amps, and IRs. If you drop the resonance frequency in the speaker page of the amp block you can move the resonance to a lower frequency, or you can reduce the effect of the resonance. I haven't found a better solution for it, but it annoys me too!! I would say this happens on 80% of my high gain presets.

I have found the same thing with a lot of amps, and IRs. If you drop the resonance frequency in the speaker page of the amp block you can move the resonance to a lower frequency, or you can reduce the effect of the resonance. I haven't found a better solution for it, but it annoys me too!! I would say this happens on 80% of my high gain presets.

I already lowered the resonance frequency to < 100Hz but the problem is still there. Also with other IRs (currently using Ownhammer OH 212 MAR-66 EDVH MIX SP1) - when I reduce the frequency band to avoid the +10dB resonance the overall sound gets thin. I will have to find a compromise but it is annoying.

Earlier I found Leon Todds Video (link removed) - the AxeIII has a Multiband Compressor Block, to solve the problem onboard. So I will have to wait until FAS brings out an affordable AX8 successor with Axe III Features.

Leons Video brought the following idea to simulate a lowband compressor on the AX8

Split signal into to channels and add to filters after the split:
Filter 1: Highpass 300Hz, Q: 0.8, 4th Order
Filter 2: Lowpass 400Hz, Q: 0.68, 4th Order
Add a compressor block after filter two - the following settings worked for me:
Studio, Threshold -18dB, Ratio 3.0, Soft, Attack 12ms, Releas 25ms, Rest Default.
Combine the two channels after the compressor

You will have to play with the threshold value for your setup. I used the frequency Analyzer in my DAW as a visual aid at what threshold the compressor kicked in for me it started at -15dB.

Curious as to why you can’t just use a PEQ and notch that frequency instead of two separate adjacent filters?

When I permanently notch the frequencies open cord and single string will get scooped too and the overall tone gets noticeable thinner. With the compressor only in those frequency range I can filter the (+10 dB) palm muted peeks without touching the overall sound.

Yeah, I am having the same issue mainly when playing A/A≠/B palm mutes. But I can work around it by carefully choosing IRs that haven‘t as much emphasis in the area around 110 Hz.
I know it is THE modern approach for this but I just don‘t like multiband compression for palm mutes. In my opinion it kills the sound and just leaves the pick attack audible. It basically sounds like strumming the strings without pressing down the strings on the fretboard. I like the old-fashioned broadband compression much better. Just a little bit for the palm mutes.

Most of the time I play guitar through my DAW, so I just put a compressor plugin on the channel strip (to answer your question: after the amp).

Back
Top Bottom