Rockabilly on the Axe

Sounds great clarky! Who'd a thunk that a Diezel would work for rockabilly? I'd have automatically headed for the Fenders or maybe the Z or something in that realm...

Well done. Sounds more as rock'n roll to me. Personnel taste would be a bit more damped/muffled slapback delay to get this "detonating" rockabilly effect especially when hitting the lower strings. But maybe as I just heard this on the phone.

Well done. Sounds more as rock'n roll to me. Personnel taste would be a bit more damped/muffled slapback delay to get this "detonating" rockabilly effect especially when hitting the lower strings. But maybe as I just heard this on the phone.

there is a slapback delay in there.. but yes is maybe not as strong as it could be..
of the two pieces I think think the first in particular is probably closer to the rock'n'roll end of the spectrum and the second a bit more Rockabilly..
a few things to note though:
- I was following a brief that contained reference pieces.. so I have to follow the brief and one of the reference pieces sounded a little more Rock'n'Roll to my [inexperienced in this style] ear.. so I thought I'd have a crack at it..
- this really is a bit of an away game for me.. these are the only two pieces I've ever created in this style.. in fact, up until these pieces I'd never played this style before..
that said, I'm sure that Rockabilly veterans would easily pull my impersonation to pieces.. lol.. but that's ok by me, I'm not professing to be a master of this style by any means..

the real point though of posting these pieces was that I got these tones with the 'wrong' amp.. lol..
just showcasing the amazing versatility of the Herbert..
the Herbert in the Axe, just like the real thing never ceases to amaze me

thanks matey...
and if you happen to be a connoisseur of this style.. then all the better...
Surely not more than you; but used to listen a lot to the Stray Cats in the eighties and would go see a Rbilly band if one happened to pass in the neighbourhood (loved "Cadillac" from the UK) ; one amongst other bands that encouraged me to buy a guitar some day ! Then, a slight bit later, rockabilly music, unfortunately and without real reasons, probably at the end of the punk movement, rockabilly would get identified with a certain political and quite violent public and soon I totally lost sight on this music style.

Surely not more than you; but used to listen a lot to the Stray Cats in the eighties and would go see a Rbilly band if one happened to pass in the neighbourhood (loved "Cadillac" from the UK) ; one amongst other bands that encouraged me to buy a guitar some day ! Then, a slight bit later, rockabilly music, unfortunately and without real reasons, probably at the end of the punk movement, rockabilly would get identified with a certain political and quite violent public and soon I totally lost sight on this music style.

interesting you mention the Stray Cats..
nothing of theirs was listed as a reference piece for me to follow, but I figured to reference them anyhow..
research is everything when you're doing this sort of thing.. so cast the net wide..

I remember when I first heard them as a kid thinking something like
'ok so this sort of music isn't really for me, but these guys have something special going on but I don't know what it is.'
I remember the guitar playing being really outstanding but in a way I couldn't get my head around at the time..
considering at the time I was a sort of nascent metal shredder I was thinking something like 'this is not my sort of thing, but it's amazing'..
so.. irrespective of my reference pieces, when I was researching the style I did go take a good look at the Stray Cats..
I'd always had a respect for Setzer, but then I saw vids of him live...
in some of them he really threw down.. and then everything became absolutely clear...
why did I develop that unexplainable respect for him way back then? easy.. he's an absolute beast of a player
I tipped my hat to him back then when I didn't really understand the music..
decades later and prompted by this session job, I poke around under the Setzer hood to find I'm now tipping it 10 times over..
what an absolutely wonderful guitarist and musician that guy is..

the other thing that struck me about this style that I never expected was the sheer joy of playing it..
day 1 = I have a job to do... cool..
completed work hand in day = my god that was just sooooo much fun..

tap your foot?? noooo.. whole leg bouncing up and down when I was mixing... lmao
what huge surprise this was to me and in the best possible way too...

Back
Top Bottom