Connecting the Axe-Fx III to an A/V Receiver

Exactly - And with the dynamic range we have to play with now, clipping would be very common if we were to use those old hifi amps.
Thanks
Pauly
Clipping has been very common (in fact, universal) in distorted guitar tones for 60+ years. ;)

Sheesh - My point was that the dynamic range of instruments drove those old amps into clipping easily with very little warning. The tweeters would often pop because of the 'virtual' DC they were getting (look at a clipped waveform on a scope), and the woofers would often fail from too much heat, mechanical damage, or bipolar transistors going DC and putting almost all the supply rails across them before any fuses blew. Nobody else correct me I'm not in the mood. :p
Thanks
Pauly

Clipping has been very common (in fact, universal) in distorted guitar tones for 60+ years. ;)

Clipping in guitar tones is not the same as when the amp driving the home audio speakers starts clipping its power amp, which can easily kill a tweeter.

Danny W.

We’ve got an old Sony “stereo” unit from the late 90’s out in the garage. You know the ones, had a 5 disc CD changer, tape deck, and a radio tuner. Connected via two short speaker wires to some bookshelf system speakers. Pretty much everyone had these back in the day...

Well I think I’ll bring it in, hook it up to my III, and I can 99.9% assure you that no harm is going to come to it if I play through it instead of my Scepter desktop monitors.

I actually used to have this unit hooked up to my turntables back when I was into DJ’ing and had bleached hair and other horrors lol. Dj mixer to AUX input, cranked lots of drum n’ bass through those poor little speakers.

Again, I’m not gonna to try to rival the volume of my CLR, but I also don’t try to match it with my S6’s.

I’ll be able to hear my guitar at comfortable volume level and it will sound more or less like what I’m used to have.

I’d wager money on it in fact!

Anyone want to take that bet ? Either it will work fine, or the “raw” guitar signal will instantly destroy the unit ?

Bets starting at $1......

We’ve got an old Sony “stereo” unit from the late 90’s out in the garage. You know the ones, had a 5 disc CD changer, tape deck, and a radio tuner. Connected via two short speaker wires to some bookshelf system speakers. Pretty much everyone had these back in the day...

Well I think I’ll bring it in, hook it up to my III, and I can 99.9% assure you that no harm is going to come to it if I play through it instead of my Scepter desktop monitors.

I actually used to have this unit hooked up to my turntables back when I was into DJ’ing and had bleached hair and other horrors lol. Dj mixer to AUX input, cranked lots of drum n’ bass through those poor little speakers.

Again, I’m not gonna to try to rival the volume of my CLR, but I also don’t try to match it with my S6’s.

I’ll be able to hear my guitar at comfortable volume level and it will sound more or less like what I’m used to have.

I’d wager money on it in fact!

Anyone want to take that bet ? Either it will work fine, or the “raw” guitar signal will instantly destroy the unit ?

I've used one of those Sony "Hi-Fi" systems for 5 years now with my modelers at home and it still works perfectly.
I can also say that patches created on that stereo translate pretty well on my CLRs, they just need minor tweaking.

I've used one of those Sony "Hi-Fi" systems for 5 years now with my modelers at home and it still works perfectly.
I can also say that patches created on that stereo translate pretty well on my CLRs, they just need minor tweaking.
Yeah, there should be no issues with blowing up the speakers in the OP's comment.
He's going thru the Pioneer receiver first, and as long as he adjusts the Axe's output levels into that, and has correct hookup cables, he'll be fine.
Won't hurt the speakers. :)

Anyone want to take that bet ?
I'll bet that if you plug those speakers into a 500w home stereo amp and crank it you will probably blow them.

I'll bet that you will blow them regardless of if you are playing a CD or your guitar through the fractal.

We perceive the volume of raw guitar tones differently from how we perceive the volume of program material. "Loud enough " when you're playing guitar can be "too loud" when you're playing a CD.

Also, CDs and MP3s are compressed and limited, so transients never exceed a certain amount. But raw guitar tones can contain some brutal transients. That's what makes the guitar sound punchy in a way that it just doesn't when it's part of a recording.

Oops didn't mean to hit post yet
Also, CDs and MP3s are compressed and limited, so transients never exceed a certain amount. But raw guitar tones can contain some brutal transients. That's what makes the guitar sound punchy in a way that it just doesn't when it's part of a recording.
Not all CDs are compressed and limited though. Classical, jazz, even rock/pop before the loudness wars.
By this same argument if I record a guitar part from the axe-fx using USB, using just an amp and cab, and then burn that to CD and play the CD is that potentially harmful to the speaker?

Your av system sees the axe as just another device no different than a CD player or receiver. As long as the signal coming from the axe is not overloading the front of amp the output of the amp to the speakers won't be somehow more extreme than anything else.
We perceive the volume of raw guitar tones differently from how we perceive the volume of program material. "Loud enough " when you're playing guitar can be "too loud" when you're playing a CD.
Okay I think I see your point though. Are you saying that a person might be more likely to turn up too much because what they find as too loud or pushing it with a loudness war master is not loud enough with a more dynamic range signal (guitar). So they turn it up more and it's too much.

I mean if your amp is too much for your speakers you should be careful and use some common sense and then you'll still be fine.

Let’s see... if the rig doesn’t instantly self-destruct, then you get my money? No thanks.

How about this? You put on headphones, and I hit you with a brief burst of 130 dB SPL. If you don’t instantly go deaf, I get your money. :p

Later that day...
giphy.gif

Hello,

the speakers are pork s15
receiver is piorneer vsx 521
its for home usage, so no high volume...

thanks.

Hello,

the speakers are pork s15
receiver is piorneer vsx 521
its for home usage, so no high volume...

thanks.
I assume you mean "Polk S15." Pork speakers has been out of business for at least 300 years. :)

Your receiver is rated just a tad above the rated upper limit for the Polks. You should be okay, provided you keep you volume moderate. If you crank it up much beyond that, it's easy to generate momentary transients that will drive your receiver into clipping.

Let’s see... if the rig doesn’t instantly self-destruct, then you get my money? No thanks.

How about this? You put on headphones, and I hit you with a brief burst of 130 dB SPL. If you don’t instantly go deaf, I get your money. :p

Well... we’d have to agree on the same clinical definition of deafness first lol

Realistically though, short of you walking up and turning the headphone output knob to “10”, it’s very unlikely to get a sudden 130dB burst if I was otherwise playing and listening with the level around 60-70dB for safe and comfortable listening.

I literally melted the horns in my EV SH-1512 rated at 200W at 8 ohms powered by a Crown Power Base 2 amp rated at 325W at 8 ohms. I was living on a 25 acre farm and cranked everything. Lucky I can still hear!

I literally melted the horns in my EV SH-1512 rated at 200W at 8 ohms powered by a Crown Power Base 2 amp rated at 325W at 8 ohms. I was living on a 25 acre farm and cranked everything. Lucky I can still hear!
What were you expecting to happen with those specs? o_O

Reminds me of some EV Eliminators (band PA) I had in my apartment hooked up to a David Hafler mosfet 400 amps ... damn that shook the fargin building and then some. Amp was near bulletproof. Long ago in the mid 80s.

Back
Top Bottom