WEM Super Starfinder 200 cabinet....Gilmour

That inspired me to make an "on the island" patch tonight using Redwirez Fanes and G12Ms

ON the island solo type jam

(I didn't play the solo note for note,... that would take a few more days of learning!)

Check out all the WEM cabs in the backline here..

.. skip to around 5:00 to hear some nice lead tone!

I think Matt needs to make a trip to visit David at his castle in England. He could set him up with an Axe-Fx and capture some WEM IRs ;)

It's actually soo devastating to renew the "tone" of an old cabinet. Even the amount of moisture in the cones could alter tone-cry etc. at the moment the take was done. Magnetism left, etc, etc.
Remembering a picture of the 1x12" cab that was used for most of the lead-work on Led Zeppelin's first. Totally chrushed, no corner left intact. But it did the work.
What I would REALLY like is, if all the old, prominent guitar-players would loan their precious cab's to someone for IR's. Because there is lot's of old stuff that looks like, are as old -but really doesnt have the groins left.

I have a replica/reissue (mentioned on an earlier post) and It's a wonderful cab. It weights as much as boat but the sound is great. I have a couple of hiwatt amps and to get distortion out of them you have to stand in another room. It's a really clean and in my opinion transparent amp. But it sounds fantastic with Pete Cornish pedals and pretty much any pedal you throw at it.
I have tried Hiwatt cabs with fanes and I thought the WEM sounded better. I would say they sound fuller. But maybe it is my brain trying to convince myself that I made a good investment.

I do have an Axe Fx 2 rig that I use with a Matrix 1000 and NL212 cab. I have found that the Double Verb (twin reverb model) sounds closer to the cleans of the Hiwatt than the actual Hiwatt model. When it comes to replicating the lead tones in the video above I still haven't been able to do so. The fuzz models just can't get that violin like tone that is smooth but edgy at the same time. I even tried tone matching a Cornish P-1 but that didn't work so well. I found that using a Dumble model with a TS808mod before it is the closest I could get.

Cheers,

Helio

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

can you make an ir of that cab?

You guys did notice that one of the cabs that is going to be in the Amp Factory Ultra Res IR's is a 4x12 WEM, didn't you?

look to his right side,kind of blurry,but they are there.i think the sound in that clip is more pedal based.i would be more curious what he's using in front of the amp.he's most likely running the amps for clean power and pedals in the front end.doesn't sound like the Hiwatts natural grind.

I'm not sure What Pedals Pete Cornish has based Davids unit on, but this is it![URL=http://www.petecornish.co.uk/gilmouralltube.html
I think the Distortion is based on a Cornish P1or P2, he has also used a Cornish G2 which resembles a big muff, you can see Davids all tube pedal board at 2.20 on the video

.. skip to around 5:00 to hear some nice lead tone!

And he is using the bridge pickup!! LOL :p I've spent ages tweaking that tone using the neck pickup (different Strat but same Custom Shop Fat '50 pickup). Anyway, I am satisfied with the result, and it sounds more pleasant to my ears playing the neck pickup.

Damn that sounds amazing. I don't see his hiwatt amps anywhere. Must be in back somewhere

They are piled at the right side

ps: I rescue this old thread from 2013 to encourage the IR manufacturers to borrow a WEM Super Starfinder 200" with 4x12 Fane Crescendo speakers and get some captures. It would be the most popular and exclusive IR's :cool:

I've already tried the RedWirez Hiwatt SE4123-Fanes and the Valhallir Hiwatt VH-HW-4123. They are good, but it is not completely there.

They are piled at the right side

ps: I rescue this old thread from 2013 to encourage the IR manufacturers to borrow a WEM Super Starfinder 200" with 4x12 Fane Crescendo speakers and get some captures. It would be the most popular and exclusive IR's :cool:

I've already tried the RedWirez Hiwatt SE4123-Fanes and the Valhallir Hiwatt VH-HW-4123. They are good, but it is not completely there.
@dr bonkers has recently released an excellent Hiwatt cab set, with some really great tones in it
https://www.drbonkerssoundlab.com/p...volume-11-bigw-4x12-guitar-cab-ir-collection/

Back
Top Bottom