Clean to Mean w/ the Volume Knob

FractalAudio

Administrator
Fractal Audio Systems
Here's a little trick to enhance the "clean up with guitar volume knob" thing.

In the Amp block go to the Dynamics page. Set the Compressor Type to Feedback. Turn up the Output Compression to taste. Notice that when you play harder the amp will distort more. Now you can use the Input Drive and/or Trim to reduce the input gain so that when you play softer or roll off the volume the amp will clean up.

Real amps get this from power supply sag but this requires the power amp be driven hard which can get muddy. This trick allows you to get that same response without cranking the Master Volume.

Real amps get this from power supply sag but this requires the power amp be driven hard which can get muddy. This trick allows you to get that same response without cranking the Master Volume.

Awesome tip; I'm going to experiment with this over the weekend. I use my volume control a lot and like to control the depth of distortion dynamically....I'm all over this suggestion. Thanks...!

In that preset I linked, it's pretty aggressive. It is most effective with edge-of-breakup tones...

Type: Feedback
Threshold: -42dB
Compression: 7.5

Just play with it. The "Feedback" (vs Output) setting is a LOT less subtle. It should be really obvious going 0 to 10. It starts overdriving and it gets all squishy.

Back
Top Bottom