Two Independent Signal Chains with Tone Match Block

dweiskopf

Inspired
Hi -

This may be a stupid question, but I'm a newbie, so if so, I apologize ---

With the Axe-Fx II (Mk I), are you allowed to create two separate signal chains using a single tone match block (since you're only allowed on such block per preset)?

I ask because I am trying to create patches for the following setup:
-- One signal direct to mixer / FOH; and
-- One signal to my VHT 2/50/2 VHT (tube) power amp into two (set up as L and R for stereo) Marshal 4 x 12 with stock speakers.

The problem I am trying to solve is, because the VHT is tube, I understand from Cliff's comments that I should turn the Sag to 0 on the amp block so that the power amp section is off, and doesn't double against my VHT. However, if I do that with only a single amp block, the direct to FOH won't have that sound, which I think it should (or is this wrong)? So.....I am creating a second amp block, with Sag turned off. The result is me trying to create a separate signal chain (separate question - unless I'm wrong that I need to do that, and I can 'reconnect' the signal to the original chain after the cabinet, and/or into the tone-match block -- my thinking would be no, as this would result in a blended signal with the signal from the original amp block).

I've attached a couple of pictures.

Any help how to do this would be hugely appreciated!!!!

Thanks!!!Example 1.jpgExample 2.jpg

wow, those layouts are very confused. if you want to use two versions of the tonematch, export the tonematch you have to a cab block. you can then use the tonematch block on one amp and the cab block (with the tonematch loaded) on the other amp.

i honestly don't think either layout you have there will function how you want. you're mixing stuff together that should be completely separate

Thanks. I appreciate the advice to someone who is trying to learn. Thanks for the advice on the tone match. I didn't know you could do that. Do you have advice on the more core issue I've laid out with respect to using a tube amp? Is the only way two independent signal chains? IF so, how do I solve the other problems this seems to create (cpu, parallel chains, etc). Thank you from someone who is earnestly trying to learn.

have you actually tried using one amp with sag on with the tonematch blaock into the vht? you might find you actually like it and you could massively simplify your patches. the other issue is that the tonematch block is really designed for full range applications. any tonal adjustments the tonematch block will be making will be completely skewed by the poweramp and the cab you're using. personally, i think you should ditch it and just adjust the amp parameters to get you where you need to be

wow, those layouts are very confused. if you want to use two versions of the tonematch, export the tonematch you have to a cab block. you can then use the tonematch block on one amp and the cab block (with the tonematch loaded) on the other amp.

i honestly don't think either layout you have there will function how you want. you're mixing stuff together that should be completely separate

Not sure if this is the same issue: I am looking to create a patch using two different amps and cabs. For the first line, I inserted a tone match block. For the second line, I tried inserting the same tone match block but it would not allow me to do so. It states that all the tone matching blocks are being used. Is their a way to add two tone matching blocks within the same patch?

no. only one tonematch block per preset. just export your tonematches to user cab blocks

Hey Simeon. I actually received a reply from fractal and it is a bit confusing. They sent me a link which says (Exporting as an IR) (You can integrate an IR in a preset by replacing the Cab block with a Tone Match block, after having captured the tone of the Cab block. Here's how.) Clicking on here's show shows some complicated instructions. (Just split the signal after the AMP to CAB and to T-MATCH, Then route the CAB to the T-MATCH and select the CAB row as reference source
Hit reference and local and start playing, then hit match.)

Are these the instructions I am to follow to be able to duplicate my TM block and do I have to do
this before exporting the TM block?

What do I have to know before exporting the TM block? ie where is it saved to ? Do I need to create
a file and or location etc?

Please excuse my rudimentary questions as I am a new owner of the Axe Fx II +
I really do appreciate your time and help.
After all, you are an Axe-Master.

create your tonematch. inside the tonematch block, look for the option to export to a user cab. save the tonematch to a user cab slot. replace the tonematch block with a cab block. load the user cab you just created.

Watch out tho! Sometimes when u get a great tonematch and things sound good, don't be surprised that it sounds very different when u use the newly created tonematch as an IR. Hit or miss I guess

Watch out tho! Sometimes when u get a great tonematch and things sound good, don't be surprised that it sounds very different when u use the newly created tonematch as an IR. Hit or miss I guess
Ok, thanks for the heads up. That would be very disappointing if it ends up sounding like garbage. It's too bad that you can't create more than one TM block in a patch. Have you had any success with this method?

Ok, thanks for the heads up. That would be very disappointing if it ends up sounding like garbage. It's too bad that you can't create more than one TM block in a patch. Have you had any success with this method?
There's no need for two tonematch blocks. If u want two just repeat the process for each tonematch as an IR (your allowed two main cab slots per preset) and pan them how you want

create your tonematch. inside the tonematch block, look for the option to export to a user cab. save the tonematch to a user cab slot. replace the tonematch block with a cab block. load the user cab you just created.

Ok. I clicked on the tm block and did not see the option to export to a user cab. Can it be accessed by using Axe-edit? I attached some screen shots.

Attachments

• axe2.jpg
    axe2.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 4
  • axe3.jpg
    axe3.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 4
  • axe4.jpg
    axe4.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 4
Ok. I clicked on the tm block and did not see the option to export to a user cab. Can it be accessed by using Axe-edit? I attached some screen shots.
You can access it from the front panel. Edit the TM block, and page over to the Export tab.

You can access it from the front panel. Edit the TM block, and page over to the Export tab.
I created a TM block, then saved it and exported it as a user cab block. I pulled up a patch to insert the new user cab block and found that I cannot pan all the sound to the left speaker. The other cab balance works. Before I added the user cab, it sounded great. I was able to pan one amp sound to the left and the other to the right. Not sure why this tone match thing is giving me some trouble. Any thoughts

I created a TM block, then saved it and exported it as a user cab block. I pulled up a patch to insert the new user cab block and found that I cannot pan all the sound to the left speaker. The other cab balance works. Before I added the user cab, it sounded great. I was able to pan one amp sound to the left and the other to the right. Not sure why this tone match thing is giving me some trouble. Any thoughts

Attachments

• axe1.jpg
    axe1.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 5
  • axe2.jpg
    axe2.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 5

Back
Top Bottom