New happy Axe-Fx III owner here

phil92

Experienced
I received this thing about two weeks ago and like it more and more. I'm not a working musician; I work in VFX but love to play at home, riffing some metal, learn some Dream Theater, Van Halen or GnR, you know, just to keep busy and free my mind.

I loooove my Mark IV and was mainly going for the Axe FX for the effects, the amp sim was supposed to be just a bonus. In my limited experience with amp sims I have always been missing a sort of natural feel. Every cab sim sounded boxy and boomy or tubby to me and was no fun to play at all.

So I set up the Axe with the Boogie and my JBL studio monitors in the 4CM and was immediately impressed with the quality of the reverb and delay.

2ed9wfo.jpg

Fast forward a few days and a little bit of time with the axe (as much as I could manage besides the job, having just moved house, 3 kids and a new additional baby) and I find myself not even switching on the Boogie at night. More often than not I go straight for the Axe and it's so much fun!
It feels natural and very amp like. It's fun to do a few quick tweaks but I don't find myself going down the rabbit hole of endless tweak orgies; I still mainly play guitar.

And then the frequency at which FW updates are developed and pushed out is such a huge advantage. You're basically buying into the future.

Thanks fractal, this thing rocks!

Cheers,
philip

Last edited:
Hi Phil,

Congratulations! Amazing isn't it... The Mark IV will be gathering dust and you'll start to notice how much room it takes up that could be used for more guitars :)
Oh - and that's 4 kids haha
Have you checked out Axechange? Have you got AustinBuddys preset pack? - Have you checked out Moke's presets? Get into it.
Thanks
Pauly

Congrats on the purchase .. And the new baby I suppose :)

I find it just as fun to tweak and find new sounds as it is to play.

Nice amp, there. I've had several Mark IVs, but never wound up with a basket-weave - always wanted one, but thought I'd bang it up too much gigging. Also had a TOV and ROV, but got rid of all of them, now that I have the AFX. I've kept a few amps, but don't have any Boogie, any longer.

Welcome aboard, and enjoy!

Back
Top Bottom