Celestion F12-X200

I appreciate the extra effort that they put in to make the speaker “feel” more like a real guitar speaker.

For those of us that use backing tracks through FRFR speakers, will this new feature be an issue when we play a backing track through it?
Depends on what you consider an issue I guess. It should have no problem playing backing tracks. But the track won't sound as good. Frequency response plot is available on the Celestion website, maybe try to replicate it with an EQ through your FRFR and it might give you an idea.

Depends on what you consider an issue I guess. It should have no problem playing backing tracks. But the track won't sound as good. Frequency response plot is available on the Celestion website, maybe try to replicate it with an EQ through your FRFR and it might give you an idea.

Will the Eminence Betas that Xitone uses, etc. sound better for the backing tracks?

Will the Eminence Betas that Xitone uses, etc. sound better for the backing tracks?
@MicFarlow ought to be able to give you legit answers instead of some random guy on the internet like me :p But yup it should, the XiTone Active Wedge gets great reviews by many users on this forum as sounding good for monitoring use.

I appreciate the extra effort that they put in to make the speaker “feel” more like a real guitar speaker.

For those of us that use backing tracks through FRFR speakers, will this new feature be an issue when we play a backing track through it?

I test every cab we ship with program music in addition to our other test methods. So yes, they sound good with program music.

If you wanted to try to work with it with an EQ you'd want to replicate an inverse curve to the one that Celestion posted but even that would still be a waste of time. The one that Celestion posts is the speaker in free air. This is fine for 250hz or so on up but for 250hz or so and below their curve does not factor the impact of the enclosure on the frequency response.... meaning that there will likely be more low end on tap by simply placing the speaker in any kind of enclosure and in some cases a lot more of low end.

Not enough to notice in my experience.

@MicFarlow ought to be able to give you legit answers instead of some random guy on the internet like me :p But yup it should, the XiTone Active Wedge gets great reviews by many users on this forum as sounding good for monitoring use.

"Random guy in the internet' you are not... at least around these parts! :) Thank you for the kind words!

Ok, so Mic: you think both the Eminence 12CX and the new Celestion F12-x200 should sound good with program music or backing tracks, correct?

So what is your overall impression of the new Celestion (in the application of amplifying a guitar modeler) compared to previously available options?

Not enough to notice in my experience.
Eeenteresting. I forgot that you can work your DSP magic (duh), you can make the response significantly flatter than what is shown. So the speaker ought to be more versatile than I gave it credit for. Looking forward to the product coming out. Still only samples from Celestion right?
"Random guy in the internet' you are not... at least around these parts! :) Thank you for the kind words!
lol I am. Thank you right back at you and your kind modesty. BTW, I just found out about B3 guitars, cool guitars and seems Gene Baker's a great guy, a builder with lots of history. And he can play!

Last edited:
It got really quiet about this speaker! So Mic, what is your opinion at this point? Does it live up to the hype? Is this going to be a really good "FRFR" speaker solution for guitar modelers? Is it better than the current FRFR speakers available (for a guitar modeler application)? Does it have more of a guitar speaker "feel" to it than the competitors?

So what is your overall impression of the new Celestion (in the application of amplifying a guitar modeler) compared to previously available options?

Me personally... I think there is a more 'immediate' feel to the speaker. It'll 'sound' consistent to all my other models and other FRFR's in general but it feels different and yes, more like a guitar speaker.

Eeenteresting. I forgot that you can work your DSP magic (duh), you can make the response significantly flatter than what is shown. So the speaker ought to be more versatile than I gave it credit for. Looking forward to the product coming out. Still only samples from Celestion right?

lol I am. Thank you right back at you and your kind modesty. BTW, I just found out about B3 guitars, cool guitars and seems Gene Baker's a great guy, a builder with lots of history. And he can play!

Thanks you for your kind words! Yes, I still have only the one sample they sent and I am already bugging them on when I can start purchasing them. I expect to hear back soon on that.

Gene is awesome! I initially met him only a couple of months ago. After reading up on him and his history I was like... what are the odds that this guy ends up living about 4 miles from my house? He is a great player for sure as well. He and his wife are awesome people and I am privileged to have met them!

It got really quiet about this speaker! So Mic, what is your opinion at this point? Does it live up to the hype? Is this going to be a really good "FRFR" speaker solution for guitar modelers? Is it better than the current FRFR speakers available (for a guitar modeler application)? Does it have more of a guitar speaker "feel" to it than the competitors?

Like I said before.. it has a more immediate feel to it.... all the things we associate with the right hand are improved upon with this speaker.

The wedge is with a group of folks at the moment who are putting it through the wringer... I expect to be able to pass along some of their thoughts in the near future.

That video sounds darn good. The bassist in my band works at Roscoe/b3 and sure my band used to have practice in that room.

Nice! I met your bassist very briefly then as he was working when I was there and Gene did a quick introduction. I've known of Keith Roscoe and his guitars and basses since the mid 80's when he was located on Tate St. here in Greensboro and he had Eddie Meeks painting them! Lots of cool history there!

I'm not planning to use it with a modeller, but with a SD170 straight into it for a clean tone. Did you by chance hear it bypassed? I'm trying to get a super present twinkly clean sound. I was previously using a bass cabinet, but the tweeter can't handle my humbuckers anymore.

I play through an OS212V stereo cab and figured this would be a good drop in for the bottom speaker which is currently used for cleans.

It's hard to be sure without seeing tech specs or T/S or something, but I suspect that the new Celestion was really designed around being a drop-in for existing cabs. Totally built in crossover, probably not very sensitive to enclosure volume, etc.

It's hard to be sure without seeing tech specs or T/S or something, but I suspect that the new Celestion was really designed around being a drop-in for existing cabs. Totally built in crossover, probably not very sensitive to enclosure volume, etc.

I’m hoping so! I’d love to put it into an actual guitar cab!

The power rating for the Celestion F12-X200 ir reported at 200w. That should be able to work with one side of a Matrix GT 800FX, right?

The power rating for the Celestion F12-X200 ir reported at 200w. That should be able to work with one side of a Matrix GT 800FX, right?
Generally with digital, you want a lot more power in the amp than the speaker is rated for. A "1000W" PA will generally be max out at something like 300-400 real RMS (600ish peak) watts to a 200-250W woofer. That leaves room for transients without hard clipping, and clipping is much more likely than power to damage a speaker.

Back
Top Bottom