How to set up noise gates for a high gain patch?

These things strongly suggest that your guitar is picking up electromagnetic interference from something nearby. It's not hum, and it's not hiss; it's interference. And it's coming in through your guitar; it's not a ground loop.

The fact that the noise goes away when you touch the strings suggests that there may be a grounding issue in your guitar. It could be a broken bridge-grounding wire, or it could be something else.

The short-term fix would be to hunt down the source of the interference, and turn it off. It could be the amp. or it could be something else that your pickups are pointing at — either in front of them or behind them — when your guitar is facing the amp.

Well, there could be more than one source for the unwanted noise as already mentioned (and I am not really sure anymore, if we are talking about the same type of noise ...)

Nevertheless:
To get a
Marshall JVM410h quite while playing on the OD1/OD2- channels in Orange or Red mode at rehearsal/gig volume levels, Noise Gates (or an advanced playing style that is cleaning up the noise with the guitar volume knob during breaks) are a must IMO.
Because that is how I got my guitar rig quiet to do also recordings with it. And that is what I have heard from other players with a comparable rig as well.

The specific parameter settings are likely to be different from guitar rig to guitar rig. Therefore I still recommend to set the Noise Gates the way I have described above, because you will have to use them anyhow, regardless whether there are additional (interference) sources that generates unwanted noise or not.

Check also my suggestion with the Clean Green channel! If there is the same unwanted noise (Hiss/Hum) as well, then the root cause seems to point (also) to additional (interference) source(s) IMO.

wolbai

@Ken Wolfe

As requested, please have a look at the two attached FX8-Presets I use for High Gain sounds.

OD-1 Orange R - 350: rhythm tone using the OD-1 JVM410 channel in Orange mode. The Ducking Delay is set to 350 ms.
OD-2 Red L - 350: lead tone using the OD-2 JVM410 channel in Red mode. The Ducking Delay is set to 350 ms.

Some additional infos to get a better understanding of the presets:

If have 2 external BOSS foot pedals: The EXP1 is for Delay/Reverb (Mix-parameter) and use for the WAH.
The EXP2 is for additional volume (at the very end of the signal chain), when needed.

The FS7 activates the WAH, when needed.
The FS8 is my toogle-footswitch to switch between rhythm volume and lead volume by using a Filter block.
The amp channels are switched through Midi-commands.

Hope these presets help you to fix your (normal) "Hum/Hiss" noise related to High Gain tube amp sounds played at rehearsal/giging volume levels, caused by the guitar (pickups) and the Marshall JVM410 pre amp section.

Please keep me/us informed, of any new outcomes related to your unwanted noise problem.

wolbai

Attachments

• OD-1 Orange R - 350.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 4
  • OD-2 Red L - 350.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 3
@Ken Wolfe

Any new outcomes regarding the unwanted noise of your AX8/Marshall JVM410 (via 4CM) ?

As your rig is not just a simple digital signal chain with one piece of gear (where just by fiddling around with the threshold knob can fix it), the investigation of the root cause(s) can take some time.

wolbai

Back
Top Bottom