Axe-Fx III vs AX8 plus FX8?

violindave

Inspired
Currently own AX8.

I'm considering either adding FX8 for more effects options. Or getting Axe-FX III instead. Obviously adding the Fx8 is cheaper but Less powerful. More foot pedal real estate with two units, but need to get separate foot pedal setup for Axe-fx III.

Looking for input as to which way to go - add the FX8 or go to the Axe-FX III?

I primarily play electric violin. I don't really need more amp power than the AX8 gives me, but I would love more FX power - additonal verbs, delays, etc

I primarily play electric violin. I don't really need more amp power than the AX8 gives me, but I would love more FX power - additonal verbs, delays, etc

I think you answered your own question! If you just need the ability to use extra effects, the FX8 would be a perfect fit (and especially because it's cheaper!). Sure you might need a little more floor real estate, but I don't think it would be that much more space.

Reactions: Ole
Holy crap never realiced the potential of adding a FX8 in the loop of the AX8! THAT WOULD DEFFINETLY BE A WORLD OF POSSIBILITIES!!!

Giving it a thought I would use the AX8 for pre-amps effects and tghe FX8 for post-amps effect! my god Im drooling just thinking about it!

@2112 what do you think of this idea? maybe add talk about it on a video for the posibilities one can achieve vs upgrading to a rack unit.

I'd much rather have a III, where all the effects, multiple signal pathways, etc are easily controlled and recalled within one unit. Trying to run two different units, balancing levels, keeping track of which effect parameter is in which unit etc sounds like a huge headache, IMO.

The III can run 2, and in some cases even 4 effects blocks of the same type, has channels, dual amp modeling, is an awesome audio interface, has a nice big color screen, lots of future support etc

I think its a "no-brainer" really

I have both AX8 and FX8 and I have yet to use them together. I do one preset per song. I have thought about FX8 in the loop, but when I think about creating a mega preset that means I have to go between both machines for "one" preset and the seems cumbersome and too much work. That would be 3 or 4 more cables - Power, Guitar Cable, USB, and Midi cable for switching scenes.

I'll have to check and see if I can have both connected to my laptop and Run AX8 and FX8 Edit at the same time.

I'd go with AXE III. I think that with the foot controllers would be easier to carry to gig, easier to create and edit presets, and a lot less cables.

Whilst from a 'bit of fun' I can see the attraction - as others have said the III would be much more powerful.

Remember the AX8 can only run one amp at a time, the III can run two - that's one thing you're missing right there.

Plus a massive amount of complication to achieve the same as the III - you'll have two sets of presets, two pieces of editing software, pre effects in the AX8 and post in the FX8, I'm really asking why would you?

When I had an AX8 (which I loved) I wished I'd tried a H9 in the loop, being able to offload the reverb would have been all I needed, and that's a much smaller setup

Thanks for all the feedback.
Looks like the footswitches for the Axe FX III are not yet out. Is it easy to use live without them? Anyone know when they are releasing?

Back
Top Bottom