AX8 Not working like a tube amp

I wonder if anyone is having this issue with the AX8.

When I roll down the volume on my guitar on a distorted preset it is not naturally cleaning up like tube amps do.

I am not too sure if this has to do with the setting I have on my noise gate or if the AX8 does not simulate tube amps well.

I just thought I'd ask here and see if others have had the same issue with this?

I find it does this better with higher powered amps, not the Fender Tweeds etc. The AX8 is tricky because you look at the amp name and think yeah that is what this guy played I just have to dial it in the way he did. Sometimes that doesn't work especially if guy did a lot of mods on his amp. The boutique amps sometimes better represent the tone I am after. I find some really good dialed in amps high gain don't need a gate and roll off very well.

Friedman 2018, Buttery, Marshalls, Recto 50 etc....you may be talking about Diezels, etc. But for the ones I mentioned the roll off works great.

i ride my volume control all the time and it always behaves exactly like a tube amp. i'm calling user error. try turning off the gate and see if it improves. if it does, dial in the gate parameters with your volume control rolled completely off. try ratio at 2 and gradually increase threshold until you start to see some noise reduction on the meter. you shouldn't need to go beyond -60

How have you got the amp set? These basically get most of their drive from pre-amp, and if you've got that maxed out - the volume pot on the guitar won't make much difference, there's just too much gain there.

I can echo what the others say, I play the Fender, Marshall and Friedman models mainly - and they behave just like the real thing in terms of pot / pick response

I basically have the amp to gain of 8 or 9.

That goes mono to my Matrix GT800 and from there to my Marshall 4x12 cab.

That's it, really.

Should I be changing amp?

that amp is a bit unforgiving in that you have to turn the guitar volume down a lot for it to start cleaning up at all....and even then it doesn't get that clean....especially with gain on 8. with gain on 6 it's a little better, but it's not an amp i would personally use for the kind of tone that you want to adjust with volume. bear in mind that the more gain you have, the harder it will be to clean up.

that amp is a bit unforgiving in that you have to turn the guitar volume down a lot for it to start cleaning up at all....and even then it doesn't get that clean....especially with gain on 8. with gain on 6 it's a little better, but it's not an amp i would personally use for the kind of tone that you want to adjust with volume. bear in mind that the more gain you have, the harder it will be to clean up.
Thanks for that info.
What amp would you recommend that sounds 80s Van Halen and I can also roll down to clean?

FWIW: I use my volume pot constantly. No problems with clean-up on all kinds of amp models. It does vary though.

One main reason I do this is that it keeps me from having to change presets for different tones. Lots of versatility with the vol pot.

Good luck

Also I remember from when I was learning (wiki, Cliff’s posts, etc.) about the Ultra that amps that get more distortion from the power section clean up better than preamp Gain

you're trying to take high gain/preamp driven monsters and make them something they aren't. 80's Van Halen was a plexi with a variac...much less gain than you'd imagine.

The Ax8/AxeFx amps behave exactly like their physical counterparts

you're trying to take high gain/preamp driven monsters and make them something they aren't. 80's Van Halen was a plexi with a variac...much less gain than you'd imagine.

The Ax8/AxeFx amps behave exactly like their physical counterparts
I get that but wosn't that what Eddie V H did? Give super steroids to he's amps? I love the sounds I'm getting...Just want to be able to smoothly roll down the gain...just like valves do. That's all I'm looking for.

Back
Top Bottom