[Solved] Strange fluctuation in preset volume. Help!

ZenRigs Man

Fractal Fanatic
Vendor
Hey folks!

I've managed to create the most juicy and fantastic tone I've ever had out of my fractal experience with my shiny new III. When I was putting my patches together recently for the first gig with the III, I had a head cold and kept thinking I was hearing the volume of the patch fluctuating, but it was minor. At the gig, I noticed it a couple of times. Now I'm home, I thought I'd trouble shoot it.

Ruled out the monitor (CLR) so checked the level meters and nothing clipping anywhere. I then tweaked levels in the amp block and all of a sudden, the volume fluctuations became far more pronounced - very clearly audible. Still thinking it could be a head full of cold, I looked at the meter for the output block and could now SEE the fluctuation as well as hear it. Nothing else appears to be clipping anywhere. Turning the gate off dramatically reduces it, but I can't figure out why that would impact it, but you can still hear it (and see it in the output block meter). Basically, help!

I am absolutely lost as to why this is happening. I'm guessing I'm doing something weird in this preset but, having played Fractal since 2010, this is the first time I've had this and I'm a little lost for ideas. I'm on FW 1.14

Video below shows the fluctuation and I've attached the preset. If anyone could take a look and give me a little insight into what's happening, I'd really appreciate it. Thank you!

Sukh

btw - the preset I've attached is a simplified version of what you can see in the vid (just a single signal path instead of the two you can see above). Same thing happening though.

Attachments

• Volume spiking preset.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
ok... I think it was my gate settings. I just double checked and they were set somewhat insanely - I don't know how / why! Will have a tweak, but please feel free to look if u get the chance. I'll report back!

Ok again.... for some reason that I can only put down to a kebab / cider fuelled evening, my gate block settings were a little, erm, too aggressive, with a gate threshold of -13.1db. I can only put this down to extreme stupidity.

Anyway, seems like I've answered my own question and am currently doing a 'D'oh!' head slap. Will leave this here in case anyone else is accidentally stupid and has the same issue.

Cheers!
Sukh

Back
Top Bottom