Best/Worst monitors for use with Axe FX

Ahh yea.. not talking about frfr?

If we're talking about studio monitors that are great for judging a guitar tone then you have to realize that it's not the same thing as "what would sound best". Yamaha NS-10 is the industry standard speaker kind of like the SM57 as a mic. They sound very unpleasant but are amazing for mixing etc. If you want something that simply sounds good then they are not neutral EQ-wise. But a rule of thumb - you get what you pay for.

I've the Prodipe PRO8 for 400Euros a pair, with the sub cab PRO10s (300E). I find it a bit boomy, but I can tame it, and sound pretty decent in my room, via the S/PDIF and my sound card.
I was going for a dedicated Equator Q5 for out 1... but very tempted to get a matrix GM50 for FRFR cab and feel more the "moving air"...

Well I have used bx8s (horrible really) tannoy 6ds, nice tone and very 3d, with the concentric speakers you have such a big sweet spot. I currently use adam a7xs which im very happy with. You need to spend the same amount on room acoustics as you do a monitoring system IMO

KRK Rokit 8's at home: $500/pair
Happy with these for jamming- 8 inch speaker sounds fuller than 5's. if too boomy, place on foam isolator.
(Please note: If you are serious about recording, I would save up for something like the Adam's, and treat your sound room properly. The Rokits are great for a budget FRFR solution at low to mid-high volumes, IMO.)

Ev Elx 112p's for band rehearsal: $1100/pair
No problems getting good tones with these; plenty of volume. Tripod stands remove boominess here also.

Audio Technica M3 wireless system for live shows: $800
+ Shure se215 IEM's: $100
Happy with the wireless unit. Happy with the headphones as well, for the price point, but I'd love to get some nicer ones someday...

Last edited:
I've been renting a DXR 15 .Killer.. A 15 inch FRFR has more dynamic range than a 12 or 10 ich..

QUOTE="KittyForHire, post: 856717, member: 29150"]Hmwell, it's not exactly monitors as such, but for what it's worth, I'm using a pair of Yamaha DXR15's. They're powered PA's, and I -really- like what I get out of them :)
Great sound, and very good flexibility. They can be put on stands, or placed on the floor like wedges. They have multiple inputs with separate volume controls, built in HPF's that can be set to off, 100Hz or 120Hz, and a built in preset EQ for flat response, Main/FOH (bit of boosted bass and highs) or Monitor (bass cut, flat mids and slightly boosted highs).
And they're INSANELY loud of you need them to be :)

In Norway, these cost about 1100 USD apiece, but they're probably alot cheaper over in the states :)[/QUOTE]

I use Tannoy Reveal Active, the older Blue version. Sounds very good for me.
Live Matrix Fr 10, but mostly I play with a Engl 2x50 poweramp and a Rocktron Piranha / Replifex. maybe it's up to me and I have to compromise. I miss dynamics with an Axe Fx, for recording the Axe is the best there is.
Real tubes are different. What do you think of my opinion?

Last edited:
That would be fine - my only thought is that "search the forum for threads" is a bad solution when you HAVE to run the axe though something. Everybody will have their favorite cabs for any number of reasons...
And everybody has their favorite monitors, too – also for any number of reasons. ;)

...I thought it would be a helpful thread if it was all in one place.
Over the years, many people have had the same idea of gathering recommendations for monitors in one place. Here are a few sample threads to get you started:

Best monitor for Axe-Fx III;
Best Studio Monitors for low level playing in a small apartment?;
Best Studio Monitors Under $1K for the Axe FX II;
"FRFR" that sounds most like studio monitors??;
Best Studio Monitors thoughts?;
Best Studio Monitors to use with Axe Fx?;
Best studio monitors for the Axe FX?;
power speaker recommendation;

Best Monitor for spreading sound.

Any information you see in this thread will just be repetition of the information posted on those threads. I applaud your search, but remember that this work has already been done. Dig into it and enjoy!

the more you spend on studio monitors, the more enjoyable your experience is likely to be.

That's true for some product lines, like the Genelec 8000 series monitors, where they're all voiced similarly, and the higher you go in the line, the more you'll spend, where you get similar characteristics albeit with better sound. Whereas with the older 1000 series, they all sounded completely different(different dispersion and tonal character), thus you could spend more money and get a monitor that was worse for your application.

Last edited:
Hoping that we could get this thread stickied for future reference.

After reading some disparaging remarks about my bx5 monitors a recent thread, I thought it might be helpful if folks could post their thoughts/comments about monitors they use and the results they get. It might prove useful for future purchasers who will no doubt ask the very question "which should I buy"? If we can list price range others will have an idea if they are good to go get something inexpensive or if it's worth saving up a bit for a different price range.
Everyone always suggests the Atomic CLR, but I bought one and hated it. Everything sounded too sterile and scooped. Now I either run DI or use an Orange 2x12 closed back cab with a power amp. Much better and more realistic.

I've been renting a DXR 15 .Killer.. A 15 inch FRFR has more dynamic range than a 12 or 10 ich..

QUOTE="KittyForHire, post: 856717, member: 29150"]Hmwell, it's not exactly monitors as such, but for what it's worth, I'm using a pair of Yamaha DXR15's. They're powered PA's, and I -really- like what I get out of them :)
Great sound, and very good flexibility. They can be put on stands, or placed on the floor like wedges. They have multiple inputs with separate volume controls, built in HPF's that can be set to off, 100Hz or 120Hz, and a built in preset EQ for flat response, Main/FOH (bit of boosted bass and highs) or Monitor (bass cut, flat mids and slightly boosted highs).
And they're INSANELY loud of you need them to be :)

In Norway, these cost about 1100 USD apiece, but they're probably alot cheaper over in the states :)
[/QUOTE]

This has the be the thread resurrection winner of the year.

Back
Top Bottom