What db boost do you have for solos?

I don’t push the volume, I just add more mids. Normally I do that by just selecting the MID ir in the ownhammer pack.
Similar here. I use a 3dB mid boost at around 650hz.

Interesting topic, because there are lots of different methods, depending on the type of solo. First off, the old school method of turning up the guitar volume knob. There’s the mid boost, which I normally use for fills because it cuts through without changing the overall tone. Then there’s the drive pedal, the amp setting change, the amp swap, adding a second amp for a fuller sound; and lastly Scene change with different amp and Reverb settings. I use all of these.

I'm the only guitarist in the band so I have a bit less to climb up over than in a twin guitar band
3dB for heavy songs and 2dB for ballads

I split outputs, balanced to board, and effects send to Friedman ASC-12. I use filter blocks for boost, stage is 2 db, house is 6-8 db.
I use delays and reverbs sometimes and I can finally get them to come forward enough in the mix when they should.

4db plus mids

It's funny cause you'd think the guitar solo implies it's the guitars time in the mix, but pretty much every band I've been in, the whole band goes full blast whenever I'm soloing lol...

4db plus mids

It's funny cause you'd think the guitar solo implies it's the guitars time in the mix, but pretty much every band I've been in, the whole band goes full blast whenever I'm soloing lol...
How do you implement this? I utilize the filter block and do a db boost. Can you add mids from that block? I put it last in chain.

How do you implement this? I utilize the filter block and do a db boost. Can you add mids from that block? I put it last in chain.

I use a Graphic EQ block, easy to add a bit of mids if needed. In the filter block you can switch from a null filter to a peaking filter and then add the mid frequency, db boost and q for the peak. You might also want to look into cutting low end when playing lead as well.

I use a Graphic EQ block, easy to add a bit of mids if needed. In the filter block you can switch from a null filter to a peaking filter and then add the mid frequency, db boost and q for the peak. You might also want to look into cutting low end when playing lead as well.
Sweet. Thanks bro!

Instead of mid boost, I just roll off highs in addition to around 4db overall boost. I like the high cut better than the mid boost because I like to keep the lows

Instead of mid boost, I just roll off highs in addition to around 4db overall boost. I like the high cut better than the mid boost because I like to keep the lows

I like that idea...I'm going to give it a try. I'm currently using a 3-4dB flat filter boost, but on some presets it gets a bit harsh in the high end. (I also need to review my gain structure on all my presets. I have a few that are clipping at the output.)

I wrote that I use 4dB and I do, and I still use the method I posted about here: https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/tip-adjustable-lead-volume.123607/ where I use a small foot controlled dial to be able adjust lead volume on the fly. I’ve switched to using Graphic EQ for the boost but the boost dB level is controlled by the dial, as per the post. At home I turn the dial to 0 and get no volume boost when going to my lead scene. With the band I start with the dial at noon and get a 4dB boost. Then adjust to taste.

How many db is the boost switch in the amp block? 16?

I believe it is 12... But note that this is boosting amp input gain, not preset volume.

The end result will be different on every amp type and affected by other amp block settings.

When you are in the amp block in Axe Edit, and you go to the 2nd tab, I believe, sort of to the bottom, and just right of center, is the rotary knob for controlling the input boost. The default is 12db, but you can change it with the pot. Again, while that does increase volume usually, it is more for increasing the overdrive of the pre-amp tubes, from your guitar signal.

I attach a modifier to the output volume knob, and control it with midi messages. I'm in the 4db-ish camp - just depends on the song, my sound, and what I find works with the band. I start about 4db and adjust up or down, after I hear how my tone sits in with everything. It's really difficult to do at home, alone.

When you are in the amp block in Axe Edit, and you go to the 2nd tab, I believe, sort of to the bottom, and just right of center, is the rotary knob for controlling the input boost. The default is 12db, but you can change it with the pot. Again, while that does increase volume usually, it is more for increasing the overdrive of the pre-amp tubes, from your guitar signal.

I attach a modifier to the output volume knob, and control it with midi messages. I'm in the 4db-ish camp - just depends on the song, my sound, and what I find works with the band. I start about 4db and adjust up or down, after I hear how my tone sits in with everything. It's really difficult to do at home, alone.
Couldn't remember if the ability to adjust was only on the Axe Fx III or if it was also on the II.

Back
Top Bottom