Three Amp Blocks?

Would you actually use three amp blocks in a preset?

• Yes

Votes: 395 72.3%
  • No

Votes: 151 27.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well to me, it's pretty obvious that the Amp blocks get their own processor that isn't monitored for the user while all the other blocks use the other one, and the CPU usage meter only tracks the use of that second processor. How else do you explain the Axe-Fx showing the Drive block consuming close to 10% CPU but the Amp block shows the CPU usage jump by like 1-2%? Either the Amp block only uses a fraction of the CPU the Drive block uses, or I'm right.
Or, third possible scenario, the Amp Block indeed uses the second CPU, but may share it with other stuff (not the drive block)

How else do you explain the Axe-Fx showing the Drive block consuming close to 10% CPU but the Amp block shows the CPU usage jump by like 1-2%? Either the Amp block only uses a fraction of the CPU the Drive block uses, or I'm right.
Or the CPU to run AMP blocks is reserved and you’re not getting the full story when it comes to CPU use. You’re getting a guideline to adjust performance.

Indeed .... most pro players I assume like things instantly understandable in terms of control and reading the manual/wiki or participating in the forum wouldn't come high in their priorities. Stomping for Clean/Crunch/Lead is a time honoured thing. I would agree with an earlier poster and say if 3 amp blocks then 3 cab blocks would be a bonus too.

Indeed .... most pro players I assume like things instantly understandable in terms of control and reading the manual/wiki or participating in the forum wouldn't come high in their priorities. Stomping for Clean/Crunch/Lead is a time honoured thing. I would agree with an earlier poster and say if 3 amp blocks then 3 cab blocks would be a bonus too.

Switching Cab blocks together with Amp blocks, without making use of presets or scenes, is a whole lot more difficult to “program” on a foot controller than just Amp blocks.

I was assuming Scenes being used .... the pro will need to make at least some concessions ;)

Easy enough to build a 3 scene (or more) template preset and make it a factory preset include to get them started.

Reactions: yek
why can't Channels be used for any of this? 1 cab block, 3 of the 4 channels. simplifying setup and visual understanding?

the Amp block is changing a ton of things, so that's understandable for multiple blocks. but i think a Cab changing channels is fast enough?

After receiving my Axe III I could not bare to sell my Axe II mk1 that has been so good to me for almost 10 years. So I have the Axe II in the loop of the Axe 3 and guess what - the 2 makes a fantastic dedicated harmonizer (bare with me I'm getting to the point).

After lots of fiddling I've concluded there is only one way to make any harmonizer sound decent with distorted tones, and that is to have each generated harmony voice run through its own dedicated distortion blocks (drive/amp). With Axe II in the loop of the 3, I've got each harmony voice running through it's own comp,eq,drive,amp,cab,chorus,delay. Sounds better than any other harmony generation I've heard.

So - 3 Amps - Ya! - 2 for the two other harmony voices - and one for me! - then I'll sell my 2.

Last edited:
After receiving my Axe III I could not bare to sell my Axe II mk1 that has been so good to me for almost 10 years. So I have the Axe II in the loop of the Axe 3 and guess what - the 2 makes a fantastic dedicated harmonizer (bare with me I'm getting to the point).

After lots of fiddling I've concluded there is only one way to make any harmonizer sound decent with distorted tones, and that is to have each generated harmony voice run through its own dedicated distortion blocks (drive/amp). With Axe II in the loop of the 3, I've got each harmony voice running through it's own comp,eq,drive,amp,chorus,delay. Sounds better than any other harmony generation I've heard.

So - 3 Amps - Ya! - 2 dor the two other harmony voices - and one for me! - then I'll sell my 2.

Audio....our it never happened! ;):)

Seriously....curious to hear the results!

why can't Channels be used for any of this? 1 cab block, 3 of the 4 channels. simplifying setup and visual understanding?

the Amp block is changing a ton of things, so that's understandable for multiple blocks. but i think a Cab changing channels is fast enough?
I've yet to get my hands on a III here - so if channels do the biz for the Cabs then that's all cool.

Well to me, it's pretty obvious that the Amp blocks get their own processor that isn't monitored for the user while all the other blocks use the other one, and the CPU usage meter only tracks the use of that second processor. How else do you explain the Axe-Fx showing the Drive block consuming close to 10% CPU but the Amp block shows the CPU usage jump by like 1-2%? Either the Amp block only uses a fraction of the CPU the Drive block uses, or I'm right.

Or your making an inference based upon an incomplete understanding of what is actually going on “under the hood” as evidenced by the reported CPU usage, of which we don’t fully understand. Is 10% really 10% or is it just 10% of an alloted percent of available resources which actually equates to just 2% of true resources. In other words, I don’t think we can really read too much into the CPU usage display.

Or your making an inference based upon an incomplete understanding of what is actually going on “under the hood” as evidenced by the reported CPU usage, of which we don’t fully understand. Is 10% really 10% or is it just 10% of an alloted percent of available resources which actually equates to just 2% of true resources. In other words, I don’t think we can really read too much into the CPU usage display.
congrats on being grammar shamed on two separate music website forums at the same time!...when in doubt I opt for “yer”........

I like that idea of “yer” and think I’ll add it to my iPhone dictionary lol

Don’t really get the recent trend of correcting grammar though... it’s essentially saying nothing of relevance but still wanting to respond?

They seemingly neither agree, or disagree, with anything said, have nothing else to add, but take offense with how it was said?

I’d be all for someone pointing out something technically incorrect, even refuting a subjective opinion, but grammar.... ??

Whatever floats “yer” boat ‍♀️

At any rate, my doctorate obviously wasn’t in English, and I luckily had plenty of peer review in my professional writings, so I some how made it through school, and now can enjoy being one of the millions of grammatically illiterate folks dashing off posts to make folks cringe via my smartphone in between seeing patients

I was assuming Scenes being used .... the pro will need to make at least some concessions ;)

Easy enough to build a 3 scene (or more) template preset and make it a factory preset include to get them started.

I was thinking of scenes too. Something like: Fender Deluxe Reverb model for cleans, Mesa for crunch, Diezel for lead. So truly different amps being switched using scenes.

From what I have learned thus far, I am using channels (on an amp block) when there is a single amp that needs to have different settings. I don’t see getting a Deluxe Reverb amp model into Mesa territory using just a channel on an amp block. A third amp model seems to enhance and clarify the use cases for channels within an amp block IMO.

Scenes + Channels + 3 amp models + 3 cab models would offer a stunning level of flexibility for the creation of really complex pro level rigs. The implications on CPU might be a consideration though.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom