Third-Party MIDI Spec

The Midi Spec document has is own numbering. This is independent of the Firmware numbering.

The reason I asked is bc at the top of the MIDI spec document v1.2 and v1.3 it says "This is supported in Axe-Fx III firmware version 1.13 or greater" but I wasn't sure if some of the specs added in v1.3 were added after the Axe-Fx III firmware version 1.13.

Is this info discussed in this thread intended for developers or all midi controller users?
I have AXE III on the way, and i also own a Liquid Foot Mini. Should i be reading this to program my LF Mini ?

Is this info discussed in this thread intended for developers or all midi controller users?
I have AXE III on the way, and i also own a Liquid Foot Mini. Should i be reading this to program my LF Mini ?

No you don't need to read this to program your LF. Jeff, the owner of FAMC should be reading it, so he can update the LF+ firmware, so it can sync with the Axe-Fx III.

I started updating my LF+ Tutorial for the Axe-Fx III and I'm planning to share my programming soon.

https://wiki.fractalaudio.com/axefx2/index.php?title=FAMC_Liquid_Foot+

A huge thanks to Cliff and the team for supporting and listening to 3rd party MFC developers. They are under no obligation to do that and companies with this level of customer service are rare indeed. No wonder we love 'em :)

My firmware for BJ Devices MFCs now supports Axe-FX III functions and is available here:
http://www.gmarts.org/tb/

@FractalAudio I'm receiving multiple "Multi Purpose Response" (64H) messages (2 actually) for the Tempo Tap. Not really sure whether the Multi Response messages are part of the protocol as they aren't documented. But surely there should be only one? Not seeing it on other commands

1.15 beta 2 software... I'll upgrade now to the official 1.15 to check

Is there a bug in Firmware 1.15? While my Looper-Block is recording, the Rec und Play Button are active. After getting the Looper status with 0x0f 0x7f I will get Bit 2 (Play) is set. I never get back Bit 1 (Record)! Same behaviour at Half Speed!

Is there a bug in Firmware 1.15? While my Looper-Block is recording, the Rec und Play Button are active. After getting the Looper status with 0x0f 0x7f I will get Bit 2 (Play) is set. I never get back Bit 1 (Record)! Same behaviour at Half Speed!
So far, the only bug I've found in firmware v1.15 is that if you switch the Preset via the AF3 front panel, then use MIDI to change the Scene, occasionally the AF3 doesn't give you a SET/GET SCENE (COMMAND 0CH) back, as it normally does. But I haven't dived in to Looper functions much. I'm just on the verge of diving in to said Looper functionality, and I'll let you know what I find.

So far, the only bug I've found in firmware v1.15 is that if you switch the Preset via the AF3 front panel, then use MIDI to change the Scene, occasionally the AF3 doesn't give you a SET/GET SCENE (COMMAND 0CH) back, as it normally does. But I haven't dived in to Looper functions much. I'm just on the verge of diving in to said Looper functionality, and I'll let you know what I find.
I’ve been doing a lot of the above and never had that problem

I give you an example: I am sending the following Sysex to the Axe FX III ti get the looper state:

F0 0 1 74 10 F 7F cs F7

And if the looper records (and plays) the loop I get:

F0 0 1 74 10 F 2 cs F7
In my opinion it have to be:
F0 0 1 74 10 F 1 cs F7
or
F0 0 1 74 10 F 3 cs F7

If the looper only plays the loop I get:

F0 0 1 74 10 F 2 cs F7

If the looper only plays the loop I get:

F0 0 1 74 10 F 2 cs F7

My post was not directed at you or I would have quoted you like above. Just trying to help the community...However, the response you are getting back indicates that you are in overdub mode (both play and record buttons are lit). Which is the default behavior when you press the record button the second time after you record the loop. So the response your getting above is the correct one in that case. There is an option to change what the record button will do after the second press in the looper settings. I'm not at my axefx so I can't look at what is being returned for the looper state, but if nobody else chimes in I'll take a look tonight and verify the return strings your getting.

Last edited:
My post was not directed at you or I would have quoted you like above. Just trying to help the community...

Oh, I am sorry. I missunderstood. BTW: Good Job with the EXCEL tab! I like it!

However, the response you are getting back indicates that you are in overdub mode (both play and record buttons are lit). Which is the default behavior when you press the record button the second time after you record the loop. So the response your getting above is the correct one in that case. There is an option to change what the record button will do after the second press in the looper settings. I'm not at my axefx so I can't look at what is being returned for the looper state, but if nobody else chimes in I'll take a look tonight and verify the return strings your getting.

Die I missunderstood the documentation? The response from the Axe-FX III is there described as setted bits. So if the Axe-FX sends a "2" then the Bit 1 is set! That means "Play". Bit 2 is overdub! Is this right or did I missunderstood the MIDI-Sysex-Spec?

Oh, I am sorry. I missunderstood. BTW: Good Job with the EXCEL tab! I like it!

Die I missunderstood the documentation? The response from the Axe-FX III is there described as setted bits. So if the Axe-FX sends a "2" then the Bit 1 is set! That means "Play". Bit 2 is overdub! Is this right or did I missunderstood the MIDI-Sysex-Spec?
If record and play are lit, it should be returning 3

Back
Top Bottom